Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 75
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps
    Posts
    79

    This is the bomb

    Pardon my grumping in the last post. One is done and the other is half done.

    I was trying various things and getting frustrated until I remembered that I have some solid 22 gauge copper "buss wire" on a 1/4 pound roll. Tinned silver color and smooth as silk. I was able to track this down quickly (unlike -some- things in my shop) - I cut off 24 inches and folded it in half and it was an absolutely perfect fish tool just like you are showing with the steel drop ceiling wire. All I can say is that it worked perfectly and a 12 inch fish tool was fine (since for the 10 inch section you compress the amsteel shorter than 10 inches when fishing.)

    I added a nice turquoise blue bead to each like I see in some pictures of whoopie slings. Had a bag of beads handy so why not?

    Feeling good about this, you made it easy - thanks.

  2. #12
    Senior Member TheBrewGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    All HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchHook
    Posts
    162

    Video: How to make Whoopie Slings

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucson Tom View Post
    Pardon my grumping in the last post. One is done and the other is half done.

    I was trying various things and getting frustrated until I remembered that I have some solid 22 gauge copper "buss wire" on a 1/4 pound roll. Tinned silver color and smooth as silk. I was able to track this down quickly (unlike -some- things in my shop) - I cut off 24 inches and folded it in half and it was an absolutely perfect fish tool just like you are showing with the steel drop ceiling wire. All I can say is that it worked perfectly and a 12 inch fish tool was fine (since for the 10 inch section you compress the amsteel shorter than 10 inches when fishing.)

    I added a nice turquoise blue bead to each like I see in some pictures of whoopie slings. Had a bag of beads handy so why not?

    Feeling good about this, you made it easy - thanks.
    Sorry I should have put a link to the other video where I show the tapering. But you did it right, or the same way I do at least. I'm glad you found some good wire for a fish tool, and you're right 12" is long enough. The bead is a good idea to keep the loop from closing. You can also use a zip tie if you forget to put the bead on while making it. Glad it helped you!

  3. #13
    Senior Member cv66seabear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Wild Rose, Wisconsin
    Hammock
    DIY, BIAS Buginator Nano
    Tarp
    Mosquito Diamond
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    100
    +1 on the link to tapering.

    Very nice video. Gong wire shopping real soon! I am not sure I can do this without some cussing, however!
    To become Old and Wise, First be Young and Foolish.

    "A man who will not read, has no advantage over a man who cannot read." - Attr. Mark Twain

  4. #14
    Drew_a_blank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    California
    Hammock
    DH
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Toggles
    Posts
    32
    Thanks for the video! Very clear with helpful tips to boot

    This will definitely help for my upcoming project

  5. #15
    Member laziboie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Gastonia, NC
    Hammock
    GTUL - 1st hammock
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Insulation
    Bag & Pad
    Suspension
    straps & whoopies
    Posts
    51
    WOW!!! I cannot believe how simple that was. I was able to get both done tonight!

    Thanks so much!!!

    Oh, and I used about a 2 ft section of 26 gauge wire (probably close to guitar string wire) from the hobby store that we had lying around. It was really easy to feed through, though I bet something a little thicker would be better. My point though is that basically any wire will work as long as it is strong enough for you to pull on it a little to get it started.

  6. #16
    Senior Member TheBrewGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    All HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchHook
    Posts
    162

    Video: How to make Whoopie Slings

    Quote Originally Posted by cv66seabear View Post
    +1 on the link to tapering.

    Very nice video. Gong wire shopping real soon! I am not sure I can do this without some cussing, however!
    I added a link in the description to the ridgeline video I made where I show the tapering process in better detail. Thanks, sometimes it makes thing go a little smoother right? Lol

  7. #17
    Senior Member TheBrewGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    All HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchHook
    Posts
    162

    Video: How to make Whoopie Slings

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew_a_blank View Post
    Thanks for the video! Very clear with helpful tips to boot

    This will definitely help for my upcoming project
    Awesome, glad it helps

  8. #18
    Senior Member TheBrewGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    All HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchHook
    Posts
    162

    Video: How to make Whoopie Slings

    Quote Originally Posted by laziboie View Post
    WOW!!! I cannot believe how simple that was. I was able to get both done tonight!

    Thanks so much!!!

    Oh, and I used about a 2 ft section of 26 gauge wire (probably close to guitar string wire) from the hobby store that we had lying around. It was really easy to feed through, though I bet something a little thicker would be better. My point though is that basically any wire will work as long as it is strong enough for you to pull on it a little to get it started.
    Nice job, glad it helped you. I agree I think lots if different wire can work it just needs to be slightly stiff to push through, and slightly tough so you can bend/rebend and pull on it.

  9. #19
    Member Swjoergensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Denmark
    Hammock
    Woodsman Lite
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    SB, PLUQ, CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    63

    Re: Video: How to make Whoopie Slings

    Very good guide indeed. Just made a pair of whoopie slings, no fuss at all. Simple and easy to follow directions. Get some proper tools for it and it's so easy I wonder howcome everybody's not doing this

    I use a bit of gardening-wire for fish-tool. It was a little bit too thin but worked well enough. Just had to pay attention to not separate the strands, but to move between them.

    Thanks again.

  10. #20
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Wiltshire, UK
    Hammock
    TW green hornet
    Tarp
    DD 3x3m
    Insulation
    S.i.m.
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie
    Posts
    34
    Success!!!!
    Great video........I had some thin stainless steel lock wire in the garage which was perfect for the job.
    I was using amsteel and I wasn't quite sure about the best way to taper the ends, hence the first sling took me 2 hours to feed through.............yes, and very sore fingers.........
    Ok, so on the next one I took your advice, opened up the threads and pulled three strands out, trimmed them off and guess what.....that took about 30 seconds to pull through!!!

    Another example of "practice makes perfect" again!

    I can feel a few more projects coming on........


    Thanks again!

Similar Threads

  1. Does anyone know of reflective material to make my own whoopie slings out of?
    By Carolina Scout in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-31-2014, 18:09
  2. trying to make whoopie slings
    By Michelle the Camper in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 10-26-2012, 21:14
  3. how do you make whoopie slings
    By kiwi in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-12-2012, 20:35
  4. Do I need to make a set of whoopie slings for each hammock?
    By pb&j in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-18-2011, 11:56
  5. About to make whoopie slings, have a few questions.
    By tiger1dd in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-11-2010, 19:31

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •