Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Still deciding
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps

My DIY Idea for suspension

OK folks there are more ways to rig a hammock than I could ever imagine.
    I've recently gotten back into trying a hammock and am pretty sure I want to change the suspension out.

First I'll tell you a little about what I have:
    I have a Grand Trunk Double that still has the original black rope threaded through the ends. I have replaced the original heavy carabiners with some lighter weight ones I already owned. I do have a set of the ENO Atlas straps but I think I'm going to return them.

Now for what I was thinking of doing:
    I was thinking of ordering some 7/64" Amsteel Blue and making a couple of continuous loops for the channel ends and use a larks head to affix a descender ring to the end. I was then planning on making a couple of whoopie slings and connecting them to the ring with another larks head. My reasoning for using the continuous loop and ring were to act as a drip break for the suspension so rain wouldn't run down the whoopie sling and onto my hammock. I was then thinking of just using the standard webbing with a marlin spike method to connect the whoopie sling to the tree.

Since I am fairly new to all of this I now to my questions...
    1. Does this sound reasonable? I feel as though I'm forgetting something as it seems pretty simple.
    2. What are people's thoughts of using 7/64" Amsteel for the continuous loops to run through the end channel? I'm a little concerned with using such a small size diameter and it putting too much stress on the end channel of the hammock and damaging it. Should I think of using a larger diameter Amsteel?

I realize this turned into a pretty long read just to ask a couple of stupid questions.
    Thanks for reading and thanks for any suggestions/ideas in advance.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    No worries, you're spot on. What you described is not an uncommon set up. I use 7/64 amsteel loops through the end channels of all my hammocks that have end channels. I've never had a problem and have never read about a problem. The larkshead cinches the material tightly enough that there is no damage.

What you could be missing is something to make attaching the webbing to the trees a bit easier and quicker. Nothing wrong with just feeding the webbing through the fixed loop but using a small climbing carabiner or a Dutch clips just makes it a bit quicker. I used to use the MSH but I prefer either Dutch buckles or Bloomgorge's Elephant Trunks. If you want to go lighter and smaller you could use a Dutch whoopie hook instead of the descender rings.

You'd think I work for Dutch or somthing but I just thought I'd point you in the light weight and small direction. I can guarantee you'll get more recommendations for Dutchware.
    Last edited by Bubba; 03-21-2013 at 22:47.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Still deciding
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Thanks for the reassurance Bubba. I thought I was probably on track but I always like a second opinion on news stuff I'm fiddling with.

I actually had thought about attaching the webbing to the trees, I just didn't include it in the first post. I've actually thought about running the webbing both ways. I have a few extra carabiners so I can try it out and see. I'm not too concern about the little bit of extra time it takes to run the strap through the fixed loop. When I'm in the woods I'm usually there to slow down anyway and I consider setting up camp part of the fun.

I like the idea of those Whoopie Hooks. I had seen them before but didn't even think of using them. That would definitely be a way to lighten it even more. I'm just not sure about the extra $16.00 that they cost. I'm definitely keep them in mind.

Oh and no worries "pushing" the stuff from Dutch. I've read a lot of good things about their stuff and have looked at some several times. Besides, we all like to recommend the stuff we like, I know I do. I hate to see folks maybe make the same mistakes I've made in the past using cheap, inferior gear that they will probably have to replace.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I'd just attatch the whoopies directly to hammock. The tail of the whoopie acts as a drip line. I've never had any problems as long as the tail is under the tarp.

Your way will work fine too. I've recently switched all my hammocks to UCRs. That's my favorite suspension (this week)
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

• + New Posts