Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    For those of you who have/had the BPL 180, what is the loft and how small does it pack? I am currently considering a new quilt, the JRB No Sniveller and BPL 180 are my top contenders. I really like the No Sniveller's wearable feature and that it packs real small, but it's down (am concerned about humidity). I like BPL 180's lighter weight (by 3 oz) and cheaper price (by $40). Any comments would be welcome.
    Last edited by amac; 07-21-2009 at 21:49.
    "Every minute outside ... is a good minute!" -> Calvin & Hobbes, 8/1/1993

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by amac View Post
    For those of you who have/had the BPL 180, what is the loft and how small does it pack? I am currently considering a new quilt, the JRB No Sniveller and BPL 180 are my top contenders. I really like the No Sniveller's wearable feature and that it packs real small, but it's down (am concerned about humidity). I like BPL 180's lighter weight (by 3 oz) and cheaper price (by $40). Any comments would be welcome.
    Amac,

I seriously doubt that a hammocker would have a wet problem with down... But then, I'm biased.

For your reflection.

JRB Stealth will perform either as a TQ, or a UQ, and is wearable in camp as a scerape.

When in the TQ mode the footbox is generous and also ventable for wide temperture variations

The Stealth is rated to 40 degrees. and packs to the size of about 6x6x6

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    amac,

The Stealth is a better comparison to the BPL 180. It is lighter and warmer.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    amac,

The Stealth is a better comparison to the BPL 180. It is lighter and warmer.
    Agreed. They don't give much of a description on their site, but this little line told me all I needed to know:
    The Backpacking Light UL 180 Quilt can be used as the core component of a three-season sleep system when combined with Cocoon clothing, or by itself for summer backpacking in mild climates.
    Not only is the JRB Stealth 2.5 ounces lighter, $20something less expensive, and wearable, but I bet the Jacks have one in stock. Unlike the BPL 180 which is currently out of stock.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Agreed. They don't give much of a description on their site, but this little line told me all I needed to know:

Not only is the JRB Stealth 2.5 ounces lighter, $20something less expensive, and wearable, but I bet the Jacks have one in stock. Unlike the BPL 180 which is currently out of stock.
    Yup....Plenty of stock...How many do you need...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    My Stealth is one of my favorite pieces of gear. Plus you can get better customer services than the Jacks!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Thanks to all for excellent comments. Food and Canibal, you both indicated that the Stealth is lighter than the BPL 180. The following are from the two websites:
    "The No Sniveller (Long) weighs 23 oz.,"
    BPL: "Weight: 19.6 oz (555 g) in size Long"

Are the actual weights different than advertised?
    And does anyone have the loft of the BPL 180?

Images
    Thanks to all for excellent comments. Food and Canibal, you both indicated that the Stealth is lighter than the BPL 180. The following are from the two websites:
    "The No Sniveller (Long) weighs 23 oz.,"
    BPL: "Weight: 19.6 oz (555 g) in size Long"

Are the actual weights different than advertised?
    And does anyone have the loft of the BPL 180?
    I think the Stealth is more comparable to the BPL180 than the No Sniv, which I'm pretty sure would be significantly warmer than the BPL180.

From JRB: The Stealth Quilt (Long) weighs 17 oz.

I don't remember the loft on the 180, but mine seemed thinner than any similar weight down quilt would be, as I would expect. Then you can be assured that some loft will be lost pretty quick after compressing it a few times in your pack. At least that has been my experience with all of my Polarguard gear, though it does have it's advantages in wet or foggy weather. However, keep in mind that some think that 1" of PG is warmer than 1" of down, and some disagree with that idea.

I didn't feel mine would be good for more than 40*F by itself, and maybe only 50*F, but I might have been wrong. I returned it without using it, primarily because of the high cost and sizing problems. It might have been better than I at first thought, but at that price I didn't want to risk it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    My bad. I now see many of you were referring to the Stealth, in fact in one post I even typed it myself. In my mind I was thinking Sniveller. Thanks for all of your input, looks like the No Sniveller will be my next purchase.

My bad. I now see many of you were referring to the Stealth, in fact in one post I even typed it myself. In my mind I was thinking Sniveller. Thanks for all of your input, looks like the No Sniveller will be my next purchase.
    A very wise purchase you will not regret.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast