Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Momentum 0.9 any tricks?

OK, Genuine Draft's new winter quilt gets going this weekend. I'm a wee bit nervous just considering the cost of everything I'm working with so I just want to take the precaution and ask (totally not macho, but whatever I'm already sewing ) if there are any useful tricks to dealing with it.

Everything I've read seems very positive, but I've got $90 of fabric that I don't want to goof on.

Purple ripstop for shell, black taffeta for the liner and glorious down in between. Planning on roughly following HE's (Coffee's) Red River Gorge Quilt plans. Anybody?
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    OK, Genuine Draft's new winter quilt gets going this weekend. I'm a wee bit nervous just considering the cost of everything I'm working with so I just want to take the precaution and ask (totally not macho, but whatever I'm already sewing ) if there are any useful tricks to dealing with it.

Everything I've read seems very positive, but I've got $90 of fabric that I don't want to goof on.

Purple ripstop for shell, black taffeta for the liner and glorious down in between. Planning on roughly following HE's (Coffee's) Red River Gorge Quilt plans. Anybody?
    more of a warning than a trick. In my limited experience mom-90
    frays at the cut edge very quickly. Might consider using a hot knife.

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    more of a warning than a trick. In my limited experience mom-90
    frays at the cut edge very quickly. Might consider using a hot knife.

Grizz
    This is funny because I was just searching around for hot knives while waiting on some responses. This is a pretty neat looking concept, talk about simple. They guy narrating is amusing too!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Shiny side goes to the inside, satin side faces out. Carry on.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    This is funny because I was just searching around for hot knives while waiting on some responses. This is a pretty neat looking concept, talk about simple. They guy narrating is amusing too!
    Lol "I just kept cutting I couldn't stop"......I think the plastic fumes were getting to him

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I use tape to mark where my baffles are. Marker will show right through. Making a quilt is actually quite forgiving. The baffle lines are so far apart you really cant tell how straight they are (or are not). I like to use about 12 stitches per inch. Practice on a scrap so you know the tension is right. Hot knife is the way to go. My first time i used a candle to seal the edge and was sweating bullets the whole time that it was all going up in flames.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Momentum is some mighty fine stuff!

Remember the old carpenter's rule: Measure twice, cut once.

I use an electric soldering iron from Radio Shack ($6.00) for sealing the edges of fabric. But even then, be very careful!!! With a quilt you have a LOT of edges to deal with, just be patient, and take a break if you find yourself getting in a hurry or getting sloppy. (Do NOT! drink too many of your favorite beverages as you work on this project!)

And a mechanical chalk pencil for marking the baffle lines. See my instructions on how to make down sleeves for some tips on baffles.

I've found it best to use many pins when sewing the first line of stitching on any of the slick fabrics. Seems the bottom piece pulls a little more than the top piece as you sew. That slight difference can up up on the long runs for a quilt.

Are you making a "solid" piece, or will you include a head hole? I really like my serape. See Stoikurt's directions for making a head hole. You need to make this decision in the beginning, you can't add it later.

Have fun!

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    That looks like my Radio Shack soldering iron!

Maybe I should get a sledge hammer... hmmm...

I did try using the point of the soldering iron for cutting one time. It did not really work all that well. The problem is what do you put your fabric on? If a concrete floor, then it won't cut 100% of the threads. If a wooden 2x4 then the fabric will get burned into the groove and pull when you try to take it off. What do you use for the straight edge? A 2x4? burns and sticks. A Metal yard stick? They get HOT! Surely not free hand on a marked line... for 10 feet? For multiples of 10 feet?!?!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Haven't made up my mind about the head-hole; keep going back and forth on that issue. I've spent mucho time looking at your sleeve thread, and every other down thread I've been able to find. My experience with down is pretty minimal, but I'm confident with that end of things. It's just sewing on $15/yard fabric that has me a bit concerned. I've sewn sil before with decent results, so I'm sure I'll be fine.

Restrictions on the adult beverages is going to be the really hard part; it's the only thing that makes me feel manly when running my thread injector.
    Trust nobody!

Haven't made up my mind about the head-hole; keep going back and forth on that issue. I've spent mucho time looking at your sleeve thread, and every other down thread I've been able to find. My experience with down is pretty minimal, but I'm confident with that end of things. It's just sewing on $15/yard fabric that has me a bit concerned. I've sewn sil before with decent results, so I'm sure I'll be fine.

Restrictions on the adult beverages is going to be the really hard part; it's the only thing that makes me feel manly when running my thread injector.
    Be brave Cannibal, go for the head hole.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast