First Overnight (not in the backyard)

My wife and I are heading out on our first overnight not on our farm tomorrow. We had a friend ask if we'd help him move to Nashville (I have a truck and access to enclosed trailers). So we decided to make it more fun and stay overnight at Cloudland Canyon state park. We've been wanting to camp there and this will serve as a scouting trip to see if we want to go back.

We've stayed in the hammocks here on our farm twice now and have slept perfectly, so I think we'll be fine. Only issue is it's calling for rain all night Saturday night. We've got two cheap walmart 8'x10' tarps with all the necessary lines and gear to hang them.

We're going to use the walk in tent sites, so we'll get a little wet walking in. I plan to hang the tarps first and I'll make sure the tarp goes beyond the ends of the hammocks. Should I hang the tarps rectangular or from the corners (diamond pattern like)? Any other tips to stay dry?

Worst case scenario we can stay in the then empty cargo trailer I'll be hauling, but I'd rather stay in the hammocks.

Thanks.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stravis View Post
    My wife and I are heading out on our first overnight not on our farm tomorrow. We had a friend ask if we'd help him move to Nashville (I have a truck and access to enclosed trailers). So we decided to make it more fun and stay overnight at Cloudland Canyon state park. We've been wanting to camp there and this will serve as a scouting trip to see if we want to go back.

We've stayed in the hammocks here on our farm twice now and have slept perfectly, so I think we'll be fine. Only issue is it's calling for rain all night Saturday night. We've got two cheap walmart 8'x10' tarps with all the necessary lines and gear to hang them.

We're going to use the walk in tent sites, so we'll get a little wet walking in. I plan to hang the tarps first and I'll make sure the tarp goes beyond the ends of the hammocks. Should I hang the tarps rectangular or from the corners (diamond pattern like)? Any other tips to stay dry?

Worst case scenario we can stay in the then empty cargo trailer I'll be hauling, but I'd rather stay in the hammocks.

Thanks.
    Hey there Sravis! I've always meant to check out Cloudland Canyon but have not got there yet.

If your tarps are long enough, just hang them up rectangular. The reason to go diamond is if the length is not adequate otherwise, or if you just want to use 2 stakes, or both. But if long enough, you will get better side wind and rain coverage with the rectangle.

If not big enough for end doors, then try to pitch the tarps with the sides into the wind rather than the ends if you have that option. And if there is an option, a sheltered site surrounded by trees or on the side of a hill that blocks wind can be a big help.

If the wind tears a WM tarp grommet, take a small smooth stone, wrap it up in the end of the tarp near the tear, and tie your cord around the stone so that it cinches down the tarp around the stone.

Watch out for widow makers, and look up before you hang! Have fun!

• + New Posts