Thread: hammock help

hammock help

Hey I'm new to hammock camping and i wanted to know if getting something like the dd travel hammock would be a good choice or if i should go with something else? The other thing i was wondering about was if the dd 3X3 tarp offered good coverage for the travel hammock or if i should think about getting something bigger? any help that anyone can give will be much appreciated.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Re: hammock help

A lot of people really like the dd hammocks, I think the traveller is the waterproof one? If you are using a pad or want it as a bivvy too then it'll probably ve ok but most like a breathable fabric for hammocks.

The 3x3m should be fine for coverage as that is what most dd users go with, I have the 4x4m and it is great for closing the ends off and for headroom at the cost of extra weight.

If you can then attend a group hang before you buy and you'll learn loads and get a better idea of what your looking for.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Re: hammock help

Oh, welcome to the forums!

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Welcome to the forums. I also recommend attending a group hang, even if you don't have a hammock yet. Ohio seems to have frequent hangs. Check out the trip planning thread.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    DD Frontline Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by josh93 View Post
    Hey I'm new to hammock camping and i wanted to know if getting something like the dd travel hammock would be a good choice or if i should go with something else? The other thing i was wondering about was if the dd 3X3 tarp offered good coverage for the travel hammock or if i should think about getting something bigger? any help that anyone can give will be much appreciated.
    I am pretty new to hammock camping myself. I just bought my first hammock in March and I went with the DD Frontline Hammock with the 3x3 tarp. I love it. No regrets. I have taken it into the backcountry only once so far, but all went well and I had plenty of coverage with the tarp.

If you go this route, I would recommend getting another suspension system. The tree huggers that come with it work, but there are many other options that make hanging the hammock simpler. I went with whoopie slings and again, no regrets.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    I find the supplied webbing to be very easy. If you do go with a frontline, and i do recommend it, try out the stock suspension a few times. The 3x3 has kept me dry in the moderate rain I have experienced in very short bursts. Since I have the carabiners already I will eventually cut the stock webbing into 2 loops, one connected to the hammock and the other connected by the biners since the webbing will get saturated and soak the end of your hammock.

Hammock
    DD Traveler
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Air mat
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    The DD is good value, offers a lot for the price.
    Double layer mozzie proof and insulation pad holding. Waterproof base for use on the ground. Double zip bug net.
    Also for me in Australia it is one of the few options with a local agent, which is important due to shipping costs, time and warranty return.

The 3x3 will provide full rain coverage.
    In the worst weather and for extra privacy more is always nice, but there is a weight trade off for that extra luxury.

My negatives:
    I feel it is designed to have too little sag, the bug net collapses if it's not fairly tight (DD videos instruct to hang it quite tight). I find a much saggier hang to be more comfortable. I resolved the bugnet issue with a ridgeline modification.
    The suspension straps stretch really bad, add whoopie slings and proper webbing tree huggers.

I will probably get something else designed for a ridge line and with a huge enclosable tarp.
    But I don't think anything else will give me the waterproof ground dwelling capability so DD will still be worth owning and be the choice for trips where trees may not be available.

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD
    Images
    DD frontline great hammock, just bought one a while ago, added tree straps, adjustable tarp suspension system (very simple) for about 30 bucks for all. Recommend get one, and adjust suspension as you go. I bought some carabineers, Rappel rings custom tree straps, some 1/8" line and made some customizations that make any hammock and tarp a breeze to set up.
    http://www.strapworks.com/Strapworks...ling_s/174.htm
    all from information on the hammock forums
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t=71818&page=2
    Photos show amsteel line on Rappel rings, have since obtained the tree straps, they work great,
    also used the amsteel for a ridge line with small non load bearing caribneers and prussic knot for adjustment
    Last edited by Leeward419; 05-29-2013 at 20:46.

• + New Posts