WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    I have both a sleeping bag and a couple of TQs... at the end of the day, they both work but the TQs pack a little lighter AND they don't have zippers!! I've come to hate zippers in the hammock... I hate laying on the zippers. I hate the dreaded stuck zipper when trying to zip/unzip in the dark. I'm always worried about tearing the hammock with the zipper.

If you can afford to have both, the TQ is almost always more comfortable!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Get a good quality quilt. But.........

I already had a MontBell SS#3 bag (30* and 21 oz) when I was "brought into the light by St. Shug of Minnesota." I have used the MB comfortably down to 17* and it packs down to the size of a small Nerf football so I kept it. It also didn't hurt that I paid $190 for what was a $275-$300 bag. I went with a WBBB Lefty hammock and recently added a HG Phoenix 20* UQ to replace the SPE pad system I was using. The MontBell compares very favorably to the HG Burrow TQ although the Burrow is slightly warmer being rated to 20*. The advantage of MBSS#3 - I unzip it fully and use it like quilt- is that it is wider unzipped than the Burrow and I can twist the hood around over my head for extra coverage on those really cold and windy nights.

That being said, if I had not already had such an excellent bag, I definitely would have gone with a quilt. But even a half decent sleeping bag and a DIY SPE pad type system will get you down into mid 40s. My best advice is spend what you are comfortable with, but don't wait- just get out hanging. It is so much better than sleeping on the ground!!!!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe w/2QZQ mod
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Another benefit for me is I find it easier to get in a top quilt than a bag...just get in the hammock, put feet in the foot box, pull up quilt, and tuck in sides vs the sleeping bag twisting, etc. while trying to get situated in the hammock and then having a hard time, not to mention time consuming, trying to get the sleeping bag straightened out again while laying in the bag.
    If you are going to use a sleeping bag as intended, I found it's easier to climb into it while standing outside the hammock, then sit & twist into the hammock. Weird but effective.

I just got into hammocking a few months ago and I already had a Marmot Plasma 15 and I'll deffinatly keep it for winter use as I like the hood/collar system and its as light as any 20 degree topquilt. I am planning on getting a topquilt from Underground Quilts. I have a full length zeppelin with treated down, 2oz overstuff and draft collars. And it's purple.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    I just got my first TQ (JRB Sierra Sniveler). I've been using either a 35* synthetic bag or a 20* down bag as a top quilt in the past.

The top quilt is much lighter, (1.5 lbs. for the long size) and packs down MUCH smaller. The smaller pack size is what drove me to spend the money. I'm glad I did! That said, I was completely content using a sleeping bag for the last couple of seasons.

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    The Susurro Canyon (DIY)
    Tarp
    1.1oz SilPolyD Hex
    Insulation
    FoyleUQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    The main issue I have with my sleeping bag is bulk.

I have had this bag for about 12 years, and I have never been cold in it. I can remember sleeping out on the deck in 30 mph winds at summer camp when I first got it; just to test it out. I got it at Target of all places. It's an Eddie Bauer bag, and the outside is as silver as tin foil. I look like a huge burrito

I made a TQ recently, but it's a little less than conventional. After this past weekend, I think its rated in the 40s, so my SB is still required for those late fall through early spring nights. I just don't like carrying around a 5 gallon bucket sized SB.
    Leonard Outdoors Youtube.com/drleonar

Sleep with a TQ and UQ and you will get it. The bag just dont cut it IMO. With bag you have to also bring a pad. Then fight the pad all night to keep it under you. I started with what I had which was a kelty mummy bag. It worked. But I get it now. it took me a few years. Wish I would of just dropped the money years ago. Start with a UQ, then buy a TQ. You can thank me later.

Hammock
    Knotty DIY, WBRR
    Tarp
    OES, camo Tadpole
    Insulation
    Burrow, Leighlo 66
    Suspension
    Whoopies, webbing
    If you look at the information section under each person's icon you'll see a variety of hammocks and insulation types. All work and there are probably few things that haven't been tried. I'd guess even children play pen cushions in an effort to stay warm and comfortable. My answer to your question is similar to others already stated. Ease of use and weight/bulk reduction. If you have a good sleeping bag use it and enjoy the comfort of hammocking. If you want to try a TQ do so. There are very few absolutes regarding sleep systems so just continue to learn and experiment. I combined sleeping bag and TQ during the really cold days and use my synthetic Dreamwalker sometimes by itself. Have fun and enjoy.
    Mike

Hammock
    DIY "Dirty Bridge"
    Tarp
    DIY "Snow Camel"
    Insulation
    DIY "Dirty Quilt"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Well, I found a smoking deal and scored a Kelty cosmic down 0* bag for more than 50% off. It came in today and man is this thing sweet! I will use it as a TQ in nicer weather but I think as it grows colder, it will be zipped.

It weighs a bit with the 39oz of down and all but it packs very small. Smaller than my 20 degree synth bag by about half.

Let the debate continue however, this is interesting! And thanks for all of the input guys!
    If at first you don't succeed...
    You're doing it wrong

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

shake that cosmic thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Rothman View Post
    ...To me, it makes more sense to own a mummy bag and just unzip it to use as a top quilt. Then you can at least use it as both. What am I missing about top quilts?
    Do you mean use on the ground and for hammock? If so, then that's a perfectly good point. Especially if you already have a bag. No reason to go buy a TQ if you can use your bag and spend your money on other things... like an UQ.

On the ground, a quilt is strictly about weight savings, with the benefit of flexible ventilation. In the hammock, its more about the high level of frustration of getting into and zipping up and getting out of said zipped bag while in the hammock. Why pay an additional weight penalty for the privilege of having that frustration?!?

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    ...I just asked a neighbor, salary $95K, next week's job-pay $125K annual, 30, no kids, how he came to buy the $160 Kelty 0F sleeping bag just delivered. "Price", he said, and the 0F rating went unmentioned. Well, it weighs 4lb, the fill is "550" "down"...
    Well, I found a smoking deal and scored a Kelty cosmic down 0* bag for more than 50% off. It came in today and man is this thing sweet!
    Do you two know each other?

It weighs a bit with the 39oz of down and all but it packs very small. Smaller than my 20 degree synth bag by about half...
    I'm guessing my 39oz 750-fill down 25 degree Exped bag is a lot warmer than that Cosmic

...I will use it as a TQ in nicer weather but I think as it grows colder, it will be zipped.
    I think not... see point made above.
    Last edited by dakotaross; 04-11-2013 at 11:46.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast