Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Jacks R Better was an early and now not-only promoter. Earlier yet, and best language on it is likely from Ray Jardine, even for on-ground use

http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Quilt-Kit/index.htm for the click on. Not that the Jacks are less worth finding.

I just asked a neighbor, salary $95K, next week's job-pay $125K annual, 30, no kids, how he came to buy the $160 Kelty 0F sleeping bag just delivered. "Price", he said, and the 0F rating went unmentioned. Well, it weighs 4lb, the fill is "550" "down" -- it doesn't come lower rated than that -- and he will NEVER be on the ground.

RE: Western Mountaineering. Great tailoring, materials, and craft. No bs ==>> Check the resale values on fleabay.

You get what you pay for; To have money left, many need to buy just what they need.

Hammock
    DIY "Dirty Bridge"
    Tarp
    DIY "Snow Camel"
    Insulation
    DIY "Dirty Quilt"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Is the weight and bulk difference really that much? Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but it seems to me that the only difference between a TQ and a sleeping bag is the zipper and hood. An opened up sleeping bag doesn't appear much wider than a TQ. I have zero first hand experience so I'm actually asking and not trying to be a nay-sayer. All this being said, I still hate my POS sleeping bag. Honestly, that's what begs the question; New TQ or sleeping bag?
    If at first you don't succeed...
    You're doing it wrong

Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Bivi Hornet XL
    Tarp
    DD XL 4,5x3 Coyote
    Insulation
    DD Snugpak UB
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Another benefit for me is I find it easier to get in a top quilt than a bag...just get in the hammock, put feet in the foot box, pull up quilt, and tuck in sides vs the sleeping bag twisting, etc. while trying to get situated in the hammock and then having a hard time, not to mention time consuming, trying to get the sleeping bag straightened out again while laying in the bag.
    Never had that problem. I get in the bag outside the hammock, then get in, and thats it. No twisting and turning...last time I was out i was even had my bivi bag on outside the sleeping bag.

Also I am in afairly wet climate, so I don't trust down. So I use a artificial fiber bag. The fibers keep some of the insulation ability even when compressed. But it is at the xpense of bulk and weight of course. But when I need this sleeping bag it's winer and snow, so I use pulk, and that simply cancels both weight and bulk problems for me.

in summer I'll just use my Jerven bag as a sleeping bag/TQ.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rothman View Post
    Is the weight and bulk difference really that much? Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but it seems to me that the only difference between a TQ and a sleeping bag is the zipper and hood. An opened up sleeping bag doesn't appear much wider than a TQ. I have zero first hand experience so I'm actually asking and not trying to be a nay-sayer. All this being said, I still hate my POS sleeping bag. Honestly, that's what begs the question; New TQ or sleeping bag?
    You need to spend some time at a few web pages. A topquilt with quality down, rated to -7C weighs 0.5kg. A Western Mountaineering -7C SB weighs 1kg. But, again: If you do the research yourself, the same numbers will have greater effect.

Of course, the toq quilt is narrower than the opened SB. You pay less because you get less. And when temps are warmer than you expect, there is less quilt in the hammock to get out of the way.

BTW: Have you been to Jardine's page (or consulted specification sheets)?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    What am I missing about top quilts?
    Nothing.
    Normally I use a top quilt.
    When it is exceptionally cold I tend to use an Exped DreamWalker 650 down sleeping bag so that if I move about no heat will be lost. Underneath is a 40* under quilt and a Speer PolarPod. Even colder and I bring a 40* top quilt inside the sleeping bag.
    Best,
    Blaze
    Last edited by BlazeAway; 03-24-2013 at 05:03.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* UQ, 20* TQ
    Suspension
    WS + Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by lilprincess View Post
    +2 on the bulk and weight, as well as price. If I tried to get the same thing as my burrow from HG as a sleeping bag it would have cost me at least $150 more. And I was skeptical of the TQ but I'm glad I got it.
    For summer hanging, I have a 20* Burrow and it is wonderful. For me, it was the best way to get a quality piece of gear for the price. If you already have a quality down bag, I don't think it's worth it unless you're a gram counter (which I'm turning into).

For winter, I switched back to my Kelty Mistral -20* synthetic. This bag is the opposite of gram counting, but it's warm with no fuss. Before this, I've tried doubling up my Burrow and my North Face 20* Remeow. Doubling up TQ's is FRUSTRATING! I'd rather pull a little more weight and bulk in pulk than deal with that mess.

Hope you find a system that works for you!
    -Dan

Bikes, guns, beer, and camping make me .

Top quilts are kind of a niche item, but they do work well, especially for hammock campers. There really is no point in having a full down bag in a hammock, since all of the down underneath the weight of your body will be compressed and will not be able to insulate at all. Most hammock campers have a separate set of bottom insulation, so it only makes sense to have something designed specifically for top insulation. A sleeping bag is not. A top quilt is.

Will a sleeping bag work just fine for most folks? Yes it certainly will. Is the zipper and backside of a sleeping bag unnecessary for a hammock camper with bottom insulation? Technically yes, but it isn't going to break anyone's back to carry it. A sleeping bag will work fine, but a TQ might be a better fit. Gram counters will always prefer it, but it's probably more a matter of preference than anything.

I personally do not own a top quilt, but I've used them a lot and plan to get one in an effort to reduce my pack size and weight. I currently use a Marmot sleeping bag, it works just fine, but a TQ does work better for me and I can't wait to get one again.

JGON

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Leigh's Uq /UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Woopie/Dutch
    I have been using hammocks for about 4 years now, maybe 5. I used a bag and was very happy with it until my wife bought me a top quilt as a gift a couple of months ago. My TQ has loops on it, for connecting it to a mat if I have to go to the ground. It is so much better in the hammock I can not really explain why, it just is. Now that I said that I still would use a bag and still will use one in the summer.

My reason for the TQ was for winter camping when you have to carry more in your pack a TQ, for me saves on weight and space. I dropped 2 pounds going to a TQ for winter.

Guess what I am trying to say is if you have a bag use it. You will be fine. If you can get a TQ you will like it and not regret the purchase.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just another choice for the most part and a wee less bulk and ounces. It adds up in a pack.
    I use both though depending on trip, weather, mood and all that.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    My cat's meow 20* synthetic bag was $200. It's stuff/compression sack is 14L, and squashes down to the size of a basketball. It weighs over two and a half pounds. My 20* down top quilt squashes down to half the size, and weighs a full pound less. Both are nice, but considering even WITH the bag I still have to carry the underquilt so I dont freeze... it makes more sense to go with the pair of quilts.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast