Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First Hammock..DIY or purchase???

Hey guys (and gals),

So I am interested to see what every thinks on this one. I am still new to the hammock thing (literally... haven't even slept in one before) I don't really want to go out and spend a ton of money on a new one so I wanted to just make one myself. Mind you I have never sewn a stitch in my life but I do have four or five people that I know that have sewn all their lives. I am currently trying to sort out all of the various options for setups that I could use and this is what I have come up with so far. I am a pretty small guy so I don't really need the strength of the 1.9 but I do like the idea of a double layer (i think that starting out it will be a lot easier for me to just use a pad in between the layers than trying to figure out an under quilt) 1.1 ripstop. I am thinking nylon tree straps with descender rings hooked to them just for simplicity to start off with...trying to figure out if I want to make a Hennessy style asym with shock cord stakes or just leave it plain jain...so much to figure out for someone who hasn't even slept in one before. The problem I have is I haven't used any of the different options so I don't really know what I like or what would work better for me...so what do you guys think? Diy or purchase?

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diy TQ
    Suspension
    MSH/Straps

Try a tablecloth hammock. No sewing necessary, cheap, and more comfortable(IMHO) than my eno double nest. It is a little heavier but not too bad.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    DIY! Nice as they look, I simply cannot imagine spending $150 (or more!) on a hammock setup. Check out www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com for all your hammock making needs. There are posts here on no-sew options, if you want to go that way. Of course, the hammock is just the base item. Eventually, you'll want some insulation, a tarp, and bug net. Don't forget to check the For Sale forum, too. People are always sell old gear as an excuse to buy new gear. Start basic and get fancy as you gain the experience and desire. Enjoy!

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    The only thing I can suggest is don't use nylon for your straps. Use polyester; nylon stretches too much and you'll end up scraping the ground with your underquilt possibly losing some down or just stright messing up your uq...And go with what jt said, it's easy! mrmike also has great advice. Also try owfinc (outdoor wilderness fabrics) and magna fabrics for some more diy options.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I simply cannot imagine spending $150 (or more!) on a hammock setup
    Not everyone can sew or has the time and or ability to make their own.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I was in your shoes, asking the same questions about 4 months ago. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=63032 Except I had to do my own sewing. I ended up buying an ENO hammock on sale, saved up for a used tarp, getting a cheap sleeping bag for a quilt. Made my own whoopies with help on here. Sewed some stake bags for my aluminium gutter nails, cussing the slippery 1.1 ripstop along the way. But sewing tree straps was easy. For me, it was better to ease my way into the DIY, and not jump in with both feet. I still can't imagine making a tarp. But a tablecloth hammock is real easy, and spoken highly of. Deals come around the for sale section, you just have to catch them before someone else does. I saw a couple decent hammocks go by this week for less than $50. With a blue tarp from wally world, a pad and a sleeping bag you may already have, and you'd be started.

Best I can say is take your time, start small, and read what you can here, and it will all work itself out in the end.
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

-John Muir

Hammock
    DIY &quot;Taco&quot; Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Not everyone can sew or has the time and or ability to make their own.
    True. Plus, some things I wouldn't try to make, the hammock companies have been doing stuff a while and know how to do it well. I might try an ENO type hammock, but a Hennessy with the integrated bug net and bottom opening? I'll just pay them.
    Synthetic underquilt? Did that. Down? No way. Seems too messy and complicated, I'll definitely pay someone else to do that!
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diy TQ
    Suspension
    MSH/Straps

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    True. Plus, some things I wouldn't try to make, the hammock companies have been doing stuff a while and know how to do it well. I might try an ENO type hammock, but a Hennessy with the integrated bug net and bottom opening? I'll just pay them.
    Synthetic underquilt? Did that. Down? No way. Seems too messy and complicated, I'll definitely pay someone else to do that!
    But that's the great thing about tablecloth hammocks... There is no sewing for a whipped end type. A few times through the wash and they're pretty soft too. And yes down can get pretty messy if you're salvaging it, but nothing a vacuum cleaner won't fix

awesome. I will keep my eyes peeled if the for sale section to see what pops up. I kinda like the idea of the table cloth hammock and I know my aunt would be more than happy to give me some sewing lesions for the channels. I pretty much live outdoors so I have a ton of gear as far as good sleeping bags and pads and packs and what not. Heck wally world has a hammock for $25 bucks. I was just thinking DIY so I could make the mods that I wanted but have a nice hammock on the cheap.

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie

Buy a cheaper hammock. Spend some time both napping and short camping trips. Then spend some real money and/or time getting something you really like. I started with a eno dn and still camp in it but sleep every night in a bias camper xl double layer. The only thing I can tell you is wider and longer seems better.
    Carpe noctem!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast