Tarp
    Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Tarp Ridgeline Question

Hey all,

Just a quick question here for everyone tonight. I'm gonna be running a continuous ridgeline for my hex tarp and I'm curious as to what length you all think is appropriate for it. I was thinking about 30 feet of zing it but I'm not sure if I should do a bit more or less?

Thanks everyone

Cazador

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    30 should be plenty. I personally have a dogbone ridgeline made to the length of my tarp so there's not too much stress on my tieouts, which attaches to a biner. That biner is also used to clip my continuous loop hammock suspension to, so I only have one point on the tree for hanging it all up. It's a work in progress to cut down on setup time and used cordage, but it works for me.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diy TQ
    Suspension
    MSH/Straps

Tarp Ridgeline Question

It depends on how you rig it. I changed mine today to the type like dejoha's video shows where the ends wrap around the tree and attach to the tarp, and that needs more than just putting the ridgeline up and using prussiks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I use a continuous ridgeline of 30' of zing-it and so far it has always worked. However, I do carry a little hank of amsteel 'just in case' something needs repaired or extended.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB &amp; Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Tarp Ridgeline Question

Completely depends on how you rig it. There are several variations of a continuous ridgeline.

What I do is draw it out on paper and label the length of each segment. Then add up all the segments. Don't forget to add a bit for knots or buries. If you are making a ridgeline to use with more than one tarp, do this with your shortest tarp.

But first, you need to decide the diameter of tree you need to account for. Then the clear distance between trees, which depends upon how tall you are and can reach to hang your hammock.

I use Dehoja's variation of continuous ridgeline with an 11' ling tarp assuming 18" diameter trees and a 20' clear distance between trees. I used 37' of 1.2mm Tech Line from www.DIYGearSupply.com
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazador View Post
    Hey all,

Just a quick question here for everyone tonight. I'm gonna be running a continuous ridgeline for my hex tarp and I'm curious as to what length you all think is appropriate for it. I was thinking about 30 feet of zing it but I'm not sure if I should do a bit more or less?

Thanks everyone

Cazador
    Mine is 30 feet and I've never needed it any longer, but I've seen several posts of HF veterans suggesting 35 feet.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL &amp; 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing &amp; Rings
    I use 30' and carry a couple 10' extensions with loops on each end. I've only needed to use an extension once.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    30' plus I carry some extra cordage to be used if needed. Hang it with the Nite Ize Cam Jams.
    About as simple as it gets with the prussics to set the tarp where it needs to be.
    This will also work on a triangulated basis with a half hitch in the tarp line, tag end around the tree, and cam jammed through the loop. You can also go without hardware doing this.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    I changed from 30' to 35' cause a couple times I needed the extra length - especially if pitching the tarp lines below the hammock tree straps. Also, carry a couple 4' amsteel dogbone extensions strong enough for either the hammock or the tarp.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

• + New Posts