Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images

A different hammock for each season

Good write up and I'm exactly where you are.

I have 2 RRs, both dbl, one with a net and one without. I absolutely love the lay of these hammocks, I only lay on my back and have no shoulder or knee pain, ever. I have 2 ccf pads and they in fit the RR perfectly. I have been down to 17deg. and have been toasty with them sandwiched together with no movement and no fiddle factor. I actually like the extra support a pad gives. The RR without the net gets the nod in the cold winter months (2 pads), and the RR with the net gets the nod in the spring and fall when mozzies are still busy early in the evening but it gets chilly later in the wee hours of the morning (1 pad).

Now last week I ordered a 1.7 BB single layer for the super hot summer days and nights. I won't need an UQ or pads in the 3 hottest months, it stays that hot at night here in NC. I have a Snipe, and its the most comfortable lay you can imagine, the perfect summer hammock...EXCEPT for my arthritic right knee. I've tried everything, every lay possible, but something in the lay of the gathered end (maybe body torque?) sets my right knee on fire. Its not the Snipes fault , it's my stupid right knee. It doesn't hurt in my RR however (different lay).

So I'm going to give a gathered end one last try with the BB and hope the footbox is the answer to my sore r. knee. We'll see.

And I'm interested in your take on the BB. BTW, I'm 5'8" and 175 so I ordered the regular BB as I didn't think I needed the extra length of the XLC, that wasn't the problem.
    Last edited by outdoorsguy; 04-28-2013 at 11:01.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Congrats on the first night in the RR! It is my most comfortable hammock as well. Just different than an XLC, though. They're a bit tough to compare as they have different characteristics.

I will say, though, that they're my two favorite hammocks. You chose wisely and will greatly enjoy both over time.

As you look at UQs, my recommendation is to get the Lynx ASAP as it ROCKS. Also, make sure you get some dutch hammock quilt hooks for your BB XLC. You hand-sew them onto the hems and set the shock cord into them to help keep them from shifting. Lots of videos on Dutch's web site on how to set those up.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Have both the WBBB XLC and the RR. Keeping both. Differences? Agree with all listed above.

Swapped the RR poles for the Carbon ones (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=71188). Now the RR is about the same weight as the BB.

RR is my goto hammock and I even sleep in it at home most nights. In the woods it requires a larger tarp than the BB XLC.
    • Try adding a Neoair Wide pad between the layers of your RR. The NeoAir baffles run perpendicular to the hammock. Inflate it only about 40% (YMMV)> This helps reduce the edge seam pressure so I can sleep with my leg over the edge seams longer (side, fetal, fig-4). Might help what you feel in the shoulder area too?

XLC BB is for my hiking / camping when less pack volume, speed and distance, and a smaller tarp are called for. For me it has the largest 'sweet spot' of any gathered-end hammock I've tried so far - when hung per Brandon's video.

For me, the whole quilt-fiddling thing disappears with the Ridgerunner (any bridge hammock)- It's just not an issue.

Looking forward to your continuing comparisons...
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsguy View Post
    I have 2 ccf pads and they in fit the RR perfectly. I have been down to 17deg. and have been toasty with them sandwiched together with no movement and no fiddle factor. I actually like the extra support a pad gives. The RR without the net gets the nod in the cold winter months (2 pads)
    I've probably seen your posts on this before, but what ccf pads do you use in your RRs? I plan to test a couple ccf pads and an insulated air pad or two (like the neoair mentioned by Loki), as well as a winter UQ by next winter.

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1csleptonkayak View Post
    I've probably seen your posts on this before, but what ccf pads do you use in your RRs? I plan to test a couple ccf pads and an insulated air pad or two (like the neoair mentioned by Loki), as well as a winter UQ by next winter.
    One is a thin Army pad, which I mainly use for spring and fall. The other one is a Wally World blue one. Combine both for the winter months. Very flat and supportive. I use a thick sleeping bag, so the bottom cushions me big time. If I had a OQ, the pads might might feel hard though with no cushion on my back.

I also have a Stansport air mattress, no insulation at all in that one(left over from my tent days.) Its baffles run longways, I'm going to blow it up and try it in one of my RRs, should be an unbelievable flat, supportive and soft lay, depending on how much I inflate it. Only for hot summer night use though.

I'll also try it in my BB, I'll be interested how an air mattress with no insulation will feel in that one. I'll have to experiment with different air pressure to find my best lay. Again for hot summer nights only.

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    [*]Try adding a Neoair Wide pad between the layers of your RR. The NeoAir baffles run perpendicular to the hammock. Inflate it only about 40% (YMMV)> This helps reduce the edge seam pressure so I can sleep with my leg over the edge seams longer (side, fetal, fig-4). Might help what you feel in the shoulder area too?
    Interesting! Are you saying that the perpendicular baffles help reduce the side/seam pressure by flexing the sides of the hammock outward slightly? Does the pad maintain a smooth curved top side at the same time - I mean, no folds or bends in it caused by the curved shape of the hammock?

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Well. for the RidgeRunner - mostly yes (ymmv). This may clarify things even though it is for a JRB bridge - same applies mostly for a RR imho.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=neoair+bridge
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    WBBB & WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    unsponsored/Incuba
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    This weekend I used my RR for the first time and I was both slightly disappointed and pleased.

Pro's
    Set up is a breeze.
    It works with my Superfly, so no cloudburst needed.
    View.
    Saddle bags are ace.

Con's
    Shoulder squeeze.
    Can't get the foetal position which I sometimes sleep in.
    No ridgeline to hang stuff off of.

I have a BB to and I think it edges the RR for my uses.

During the night I had Wild Boar howling so I spent a hefty party of the night awake meaning I had plenty of time to contemplate both hammocks.

I don't think anybody but you can decide on what suits you best.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatfishy View Post
    This weekend I used my RR for the first time and I was both slightly disappointed and pleased.

Pro's
    Set up is a breeze.
    It works with my Superfly, so no cloudburst needed.
    View.
    Saddle bags are ace.

Con's
    Shoulder squeeze.
    Can't get the foetal position which I sometimes sleep in.
    No ridgeline to hang stuff off of.

I have a BB to and I think it edges the RR for my uses.

During the night I had Wild Boar howling so I spent a hefty party of the night awake meaning I had plenty of time to contemplate both hammocks.

I don't think anybody but you can decide on what suits you best.

Your first two con's can be taken care of by using a pad. Those are the two reasons I've stayed with a pad with my RR instead of buying a UQ. Sleeping in fetal position especially, or on my stomach, are my two preferred ways of sleeping and pad opens the hammock up nicely so you're able to. I just love the pad in the bridge, HYOH though.

I love the RR using my exped downmat 9 dlx.... with the mat fully inflated it really spreads out and flattens the lay ... I'm short but have wide shoulders and shoulder sqeeze has been a problem for me in every gathered end hammock i have tried (BB and Hennessy) especially in my prevously damaged right shoulder.

However shoulder squeeze was not my only complaint when using gathered end hammcocks. I also like to sleep about 3/4 on my stomach and this is impossible for me in a gathered end.... In the RR with the downmat pumped up tight i can lay completely on my stomach and my knee fits perfectly at the tapered midsection

> Obviously using the mat fully inflated comes with the associated decrease in primary stability but i dont suffer from seasickness and have found the secondary stability to remain outstanding. (IE i havent flipped out of it onto the ground)

the other benefit of the downmat 9dlx beside the nice R value is it fills up the area between the layers perfectly and cant move or shift. I have been perfectly comfortable down into the teens with my marmot sawtooth 20 degree bag as a topcover and my kelty 12x12 tarp setup low...... I'm kind of a warm sleeper so the downmat really starts feeling like an electric blanket up under me after laying on it for just a few minutes......
    Last edited by Racerman_27410; 04-29-2013 at 14:37. Reason: details

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast