Radiant Double bubble - Substitute for SB

Seems like this should have been discussed before but my search was fruitless.. Can the radiant Double Bubble pad be successfully substituted for the space blanket in the HHSS? Seems like it would serve the same purpose but add insulation. ??

Jon in SC

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakatak View Post
    Seems like this should have been discussed before but my search was fruitless.. Can the radiant Double Bubble pad be successfully substituted for the space blanket in the HHSS? Seems like it would serve the same purpose but add insulation. ??

Jon in SC
    Jon,
    Welcome to HF!

I have always thought what you are suggesting makes perfect sense. However, it has rarely been compared, but I do remember at least one person saying that they felt the space blanket worked better in the HHSS. That made little sense to me, since the bubble pad is both a radiant and vapor block ( like the space blanket) PLUS offers insulation of it's own, which the sb does not.

Since I have never tried the bubble pad, if it indeed does not work as well, the only reason I can guess at is that maybe it does not conform to your body as well as the HH OCF/pad and SB does? Maybe it will interfere with the fit and shape of the HH OCF pad?

But really, I have no real knowledge of how one would work vs the other. Why don't you test it out for us?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I tested the double-bubble last night. I inserted it between the layers of my Dream Hammock DangerBird. It worked great, no CBS for me. Lows were in the mid 40s.

One caveat, I sleep thermonuclear-warm, so I am not the best to compare such things, though I have experienced CBS when sleeping without any pad.

It is an excellent low cost solution IMO. Also the double-bubble has perforations for breath ability. It conforms to my body for an asymetrical lay much better than my ground pad. I will be using it more in the future for such conditions.

Hammock
    11' gathered, diy bridge
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    hg 20,llg 0
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I cut a peice of reflectix to the shape of the HHSS pad with the same thing in mind.The problem I had was the weight of the reflectix moved the pad away from the hammock and had to tighten the suspension on the pad for it to stay in contact with me. I tested this at the NJ winter hang with temps around 3-5. I was cold but not sure if the reflectix made a difference or not. For me the space blanket just works and takes up less space and no fiddle factor.

• + New Posts