Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images

JRB Modifications to Driducks Poncho

At the Mt. Rogers hang, the Jacks announced that they would be selling the Driducks poncho and also offering it with modifications. They showed the group my modified poncho. Thought you all would like to see pictures.

OK, so I first bought the Driducks poncho for the rain. But then it does other things . . .

1. I had to offer my son money to model the No Sniv as a piece of clothing last year.

2. The Driducks poncho over the No Sniv. Works great.

3. The poncho as a weather shield on hammock. Nice. The poncho has drawstrings at each end to tighten up as weather shield with several attachment points. I used it this way last night with my Hennessy hammock and its original small tarp because it was predicted to rain. And it did and the weather shield worked great. I hung the hammock very low. There was wet splash on the poncho this morning but my underquilt was dry.

4. JRB put a number of attachment points on the poncho. This is one.

5. You can use the poncho as an overcover on hammock, but for some of the ties to work you have to put in on with white side facing out. I have not tested it as an overcover yet. Would use it this way under tarp for added warmth. It is not a tight fit and wind still gets underneath if it windy. Opening and closing hood can act as top air hole.

6. Jacks put omni tape at one end with drawstring closure so the poncho can be used as bivy. I used it as bivy at Mt. Rogers for additional warmth.
    Of course the picture is opposite of how you would use it in hammock. Quilt on top of you, bivy on top of quilt. Just wanted to show how much the poncho covers bag or quilt.
    7. Close up of footbox.

Weight of mods = the weight of the Driduck stuff sack.
    If you are not familar with Driducks material, it is extremely fragile and tears easily but can be fixed with -- what else -- duck tape.

Jacks, thanks for the mods!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 02-09-2009 at 17:17.

Well, just how fragile is extremely fragile? Too fragile to be of any use? I know Frogg Toggs are fragile but many thru hikers say they made it the whole way with a set. Also, what is the weight of the poncho with and with out the mods? Unless this thing just disintegrates at the slightest provocation(this I doubt or the Jacks wouldn't be selling it), it looks like it should work great. A poncho/pack cover is THE way to go once it warms a bit IMO.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    More fragile than Frogg Toggs. Others can comment, but they are fragile. You can't take Driducks off trail. I hiked on a trail with my jacket and brushed against brambles and had to tape the tears and holes. I can't just stuff my poncho in my pack. Other stuff can damage it. I always pack it in a ziplock bag to protect it. Many will use the jacket but not the pants because the butt will tear out too easily.

I hold my jacket and poncho up to the light quite often to check for pin holes to duck tape. People need to understand that it's fragile or they will be disappointed in the product.

I'll post weight today.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I have the poncho - it stuffs into a little sack attached at the neck, and I'm about to cut the little sack off, because after a few day hikes the sack looks worn. I keep it in a ziploc as well. I've thought about modifying mine for a weather cover as well, am interested in looking into this more now that I know someone has done so successfully. At twelve bucks a pop for a new one it's a cheap thing to replace - but I wouldn't take it off trail. It's one of those tradeoffs between light and durable - very light, not durable. I may yet do the mod to the stock HH tarp and use that for an undercover instead.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Weight of poncho without stuff sac or mods = 251 grams or 8.85 oz.
    Stuff sac = 10 grams or 0.35 oz
    Modification adds 10 grams or 0.35 oz.
    Ziplock bag = 12 grams or .42 oz.
    My poncho (without stuff sack) with mods + zip lock = 273 grams or 9.62 oz.

So for less than 10 oz you have a highly versatile piece of gear that just takes some care. I like it!

By the way, Pan talks about the mods in the video section of HF, for DIYers that want to do the mods themselves.
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 02-08-2009 at 17:38.

At less than nine ounces there is no weight penalty to speak of, my silnylon poncho weighs an ounce more than that. For on-trail hiking in warmer weather this should be a highly functional piece of gear. The undercover function would allow a smaller tarp to be adequate as has already been noted, thereby saving more weight. The Macat Medium (Spinntex?) oughta be the ticket.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Who is going to be the first to have Brian (or DIY) sew a head hole and hood in a MacCat mini spinntex tarp so it can be used as a tarp and a very big poncho? Talk about weight saving!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Thanks for the video - that was about what I was thinking I would have to do. Might be something to try after I finish the latest project in progress.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I have always carried a poncho as my rain gear. After reading about the Garlington Insulator a while back, I rigged up my poncho to be attached under my hammock (top loader). Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    Who is going to be the first to have Brian (or DIY) sew a head hole and hood in a MacCat mini spinntex tarp so it can be used as a tarp and a very big poncho? Talk about weight saving!
    SGT Rock played with that years ago, I think Food here at HF has done the same, you already figured out why it didn't catch on, the poncho was too big and the tarp was too small. Plus, what do you do when you need raingear and your tarp/poncho is in tarp mode?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast