Tarp
    Mosquito Diamond
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies

No Sew Hammock

Hi,
    I apologize for not finding this with a search. I want to make a hammock and am looking for instructions on whipping the end, rather than gather.

If you make a tablecloth hammock (I assume this is one big rectangle with the ends gathered or whipped), do you still lay in it aysm?

I'm not sure how makers make a hammock left or right lay, but I know that would result in a flatter hang.

Thanks for the great help and advice! You folks are the greatest.
    Kent

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop nylon
    Tarp
    DIY sil argon
    Insulation
    DIY syn UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling

just whip the ends

Yes you lay in a whipped hammock asym. If I remember correctly I just looked on youtube and typed in hammock whipping for instruction. Its a specific knot thats pretty easy to do

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Www.tothewoods.net <-this should answer the question about whipping. I have all my hammocks whipped and prefer them all this way including one I have bought as channel gather. This is the site that got it all started for me. And just as already stated, you lay asym in all hammocks except for bridge hammocks..
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DL tablecloth/Knotty stretch side
    Tarp
    GG11x11camo
    Insulation
    no sew pluq
    Suspension
    poly straps/whoopi
    Page 2 has a thread with lots of ways to whip a tablecloth.I did the masons line thru the tiny channel created by the factory hem then zip tied it just to give it a cleaner look.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Re: No Sew Hammock

The left or right lay asym hammocks are really only applicable in hammocks with integrated bug net, otherwise it can just be flipped. All non asym hammocks can be laid in in either direction but all gathered end hammocks are made so that one can lay diagonally.

If you dont want to sew but want to whip one up yourself then a tablecloth really is your best option as has already been suggested.

Fish's reference to just jeffs site is a great resource and there are dozens of threads in how to do it on here (diy section) as well as numerous ways to do it.

You can also try a search of the site via google in this format
    'site:hammockforums.net hammock whipping tutorial'.

Hammock
    Hennessy/ENO/DIY
    Tarp
    Mosquito Diamond
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks, Guys. Not sure why the search failed to bring anything up. Jeff's site was great. I would like to use whoopie slings over from the whipping to ENO slapstraps I already have.

Now I need to fabric shop!

• + New Posts