Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images

Hammock Newbie 1st night in the BB!

I have just recently decided to give up my tent and take to the air. On Friday I received my Warbonnet BB (dbl 1.7, OD green) from Brandon and set it up in the backyard last night. Weatherwise, it was only down to about 40* but we had winds gusting 10-20 so it was breezy. Since I haven't received my SWT or my GG evazote pads I set up last night under a 6x8 yard tarp I had (set on the diagonal) and just stuffed my Thermarest prolite 4 in for padding. I used a 15* down bag as a quilt a small pillow under my knees and another under my head and was mostly comfortable all night. Clothingwise I wore gym socks, fleece pants and a longsleeve Tshirt, w/ no hat.

Since my pad was only 20" wide it did not give any shoulder coverage and when I shifted my position I found out real quick if I was off the pad, but comfortwise the rest was fantastic! I slept like a baby.

When I set up in my back yard I was forced to use a tree on one end and had to connect about 20' away w/ the other to my kids wooden swingset (4x4 post). I don't know if its the hammock being new, the distance or what but the first time I set it up at comfortable sitting height & got in I settled all the way down and brushed the ground. So out I climbed and reset the rigging at =/- 6' and tightened the rigging (straps/tri buckles) so that I had to kind of stretch up to get in the hammock. Once in it again settled down, not quite so low, but I did get out and readjust the strap tightness to raise the hammock again. After this when I got in the hammock stayed about 18" off the ground. Is this normal? I'm a big guy 6'2" 260# so I certainly added to the stretch factor. Will the system remain stretched so I don't have to reset / adjust height everytime? I'm guessing that hanging between two closer trees would also make things easier.

Being so new to this, I welcome everyone's advice and input and look forward to getting to know you folks. Before taking this step and joining the BB club I read hundreds of posts on here and got alot of info on the gear, recommendations etc... and I really appreciate everyones knowledge. Thanks Brandon for what seems like a great piece of gear, I look forward to many years of solid use. Next step is probably getting my 10 year old son a hammock and see how he likes it.

Images
    i think you were experiencing "initial drop". this is because your suspension line (at least the one going to the swingset, was too close to horizontal. if both your lines were running upward at a 25-30 deg angle, this would not have happened. basically, the farther away your support is, the higher you need to raise your strap on it to keep that from happening. best is to choose trees that are a more appropriate distance apart. at some point, a 25-30 deg angle will point to a spot higher up the trunk than you can reach. it's only at this point that you tighten the suspension tighter to raise the hammock, and it will result in "drop". it's a losing battle though, the tighter you pull it, the more it will drop, best to figure a way to hang with the lines 25 deg or so and avoid the "drop" altogether. this is usually pretty easy in the woods as you have a million options. trees about 15-20 feet away from eachother are usually more ide your backyard might be harder. also, don't leave the hammock set up outside when you're not using it, uv rays degrade nylon.

you could take (2) wooden supports 4x4's and set them in an upside down (v) and then anchor the top of it to the bottom of the swingset. you could place this right where you need it.

here's an illustration, your blackbird has different dimensions so the numbers won't be identical, but the idea is the same: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...5&d=1219329859

you can see that beyond an 18-20 foot span, you will need to place the anchor point fairly high off the ground.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 02-08-2009 at 11:51.

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Brandon,

Thanks for the advise! Also thanks for the pre-sale information and support you certainly made this a very easy purchase. Hopefully I'll get one more practice night in the hammock before I go backpacking w/ it on 2/20.

Also, thanks to Shug for the demo video on the Warbonnet website.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Another happy BB owner! Gotta love it.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GvilleDave View Post
    Also, thanks to Shug for the demo video on the Warbonnet website.
    Fun to do a demo vid on a product that folks just gotta see and feel and buy. Nice to support an American Made Product From an Independent Small Businessman!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the burgeoning BB club, growing larger by the day!

I got lost on "and set them in an upside down (v)".

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i think you were experiencing "initial drop". this is because your suspension line (at least the one going to the swingset, was too close to horizontal. if both your lines were running upward at a 25-30 deg angle, this would not have happened. basically, the farther away your support is, the higher you need to raise your strap on it to keep that from happening. best is to choose trees that are a more appropriate distance apart. at some point, a 25-30 deg angle will point to a spot higher up the trunk than you can reach. it's only at this point that you tighten the suspension tighter to raise the hammock, and it will result in "drop". it's a losing battle though, the tighter you pull it, the more it will drop, best to figure a way to hang with the lines 25 deg or so and avoid the "drop" altogether. this is usually pretty easy in the woods as you have a million options. trees about 15-20 feet away from eachother are usually more ide your backyard might be harder. also, don't leave the hammock set up outside when you're not using it, uv rays degrade nylon.

you could take (2) wooden supports 4x4's and set them in an upside down (v) and then anchor the top of it to the bottom of the swingset. you could place this right where you need it.

here's an illustration, your blackbird has different dimensions so the numbers won't be identical, but the idea is the same: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...5&d=1219329859

you can see that beyond an 18-20 foot span, you will need to place the anchor point fairly high off the ground.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1
    Tarp
    SWT
    I also just received the BB and set it up Friday night 14*, I had the same problem. I settled to the ground and woke up around four hot because my shoulders had been resting on the ground, re-rigged twice and the problem was eliminated. I LOVE the BB, the features, included are fantastic (footbox, shelf, full zip, tri rings, and netting not that i needed it friday night). Thanks Shug for the video it definately sold me along with everyone else here who couldn't stop raving about the BB...Thanks Brandon

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPC View Post
    I got lost on "and set them in an upside down (v)".
    This is basically what Brandon was talking about. Quick drawing, hope it makes sense. I know somebody has pics of this somewhere on the site.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Congrats on your taking off for the sky, and doing it in a BB is, well, it doesn't get much better than that. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast