Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Texas hanger

I discovered this website after buying a Byer of Maine double just for fun to hang at the camp site on a family camping trip over spring break. Despite not getting the perfect setup, everyone loved the hammock and I realized how comfortable it could be to sleep in over night with proper insulation. After the trip I have become a bit obsessed with the idea, despite the fact that I will get to hang only once or twice a year. My daughter turned 6 just after the trip and she asked for her own hammock which one of her aunts is buying(a basic single mostly for fun, but it could become something more I suppose.

I've read through "The Ultimate Hang" and anticipate that being a great resource.

First question. Would it be reasonable safe to replace the cording supplied with my BoM Double with a homemade whoopie using 1/4 Amsteel? I like the ease of asjustabilityof the whoopie, not concerned about weight as we are car campers for now. My concern is whether the fabric can withstand the stress if I build the fixed eye splice into the hammock given that the amsteel is so thin compared to the factory line. I am a little heavier than I would like but not huge at 6' 200# if that matters.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Obsessed with Hammocks? You're among friends.

Welcome, I'm in the DFW area also.

You will be fine with whoopies. Hope to see you at a group hang some time in the future. If you ever get into hiking, we do a trip about once a month or so. Have fun.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    everyone around here usually uses 7/64 or 1/8 inch amsteel... 1/4 inch would haul a truck... anyways yes alot of people have replaced lines on hammocks like that with Whoopies or even UCR's if your so inclined...

welcome to the insanity, there are lots of Texas hangs coming up... the Yearly group hand isn't for a while but it would give you a good chance to check out 100+ setups while car camping...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx,Mamba,Woobie
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Welcome from Austin
    .................................................. .................................................. ........

"Your life starts at Point A and ends at Point B. Kick maximum ***!....." Ted Nugent (before he gone bats**t crazy)

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    welcome to HF....you are well versed with the Ultimate Hang book.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Welcome, notquitethere!

This is a great site. I'm relatively new to this, too, and have learned so much. This is a special group.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Welcome from Rosenberg

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

New Texas hanger

So, you've become a bit obsessed? Well you are in the right place my friend. Welcome from Florida.

Your idea of running 1/4" amsteel through the hammock end will work just fine.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Sorry, I do have 1/8" Amsteel not 1/4"? Mistake on my part, my engineering brain has a hard time grasping the concept that an 1/8" cord could possibly hold up a human.

But is sounds like I should be fine. I suppose I will make a couple of continuous loops and a couple of whoopies for each end. I am cursed with a treeless backyard so no place to practice at the house. I think I will be getting an old hanger bar frame returned so at least I can hang by the pool, but no real place to work on getting the perfect setup for field use.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I'm now using dynaglide UCRs for my suspension. If you thought the 1/8" was neat, you should see that 2mm line holding my big ol' backside off the ground. It still amazes me

Quote Originally Posted by notquitethere View Post
    Sorry, I do have 1/8" Amsteel not 1/4"? Mistake on my part, my engineering brain has a hard time grasping the concept that an 1/8" cord could possibly hold up a human.

But is sounds like I should be fine. I suppose I will make a couple of continuous loops and a couple of whoopies for each end. I am cursed with a treeless backyard so no place to practice at the house. I think I will be getting an old hanger bar frame returned so at least I can hang by the pool, but no real place to work on getting the perfect setup for field use.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast