WB Traveler 1.7 SL, WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, MacCat
    Insulation
    HG 40,20 Leighlo20
    Suspension
    whoop slings/hooks

Some Serious Council Needed

Ok so I wouldn't say I'm new to hammocking but really I've never had anyone of superior hammock knowledge near me so I have been doing it my own way as I go. So I have two warbonnets, the blackbird and the traveler the BB is 1.1 dl and the travel 1.7 SL. I am 6' 6'' and around 220 to 230 depending on conditions. Wide shoulders, generally a backsleeper but will occasionally go to side but always end up on my back.

To be honest I have yet to have a superior night in a hammock. and i've done several multiweek trips with them already. Originally, I thought it was the pad, so then I got a 3/4 UQ and now there is this weird calf pressure. and i wish i had a flater lie, but I get that **** pressure

So I see a ton of thru's this year down in GA using this tiny ENO's and Grandtrunks at superlight weight compared to the warbonnets (and using them with crappy ccf pads and setting them up, horribly i might add, with the straps literally straight out from the hammock taught with no one in it???) Im frustrated .

First, can someone of my size use this lightweight hammocks like the grandtrunk and ENOs?

Second, how do I combat this **** calf pressure. I use a 3/4 UQ with a pad for foot insulation.

Thirdly, do I shorten my ridgeline to make more sag thus getting aflatter lie or is it vice versa.

Hammock
    The Susurro Canyon (DIY)
    Tarp
    1.1oz SilPolyD Hex
    Insulation
    FoyleUQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    good questions....I wish I had the answers. I will be keeping my eye on this thread, because I'm having ridgeline issues as well.
    Leonard Outdoors Youtube.com/drleonar

I'm 6'4" and considerably heavier than you. I have an ENO double nest. I tried using a ridge-line. No go for me the hammock was just to short. The calf ridge became noticeable and I couldn't get a flatter lay because there wasn't enough hammock material. I removed the ridge-line and all was well again. the calf ridge was still there just not as bad. I could lay diagonal again for a flatter lay. but I like to sleep with my knees bent up and feet pulled in towards my middle. The hammock sides provide just the right support to keep my legs from going sprawled eagle hurting my hips.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Ever tried a bridge hammock for a few nights?
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Have you tried setting up with the foot end higher than the head end? Also, try laying a little closer to the shelf. Maybe an 11' hammock would be more comfortable.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    I own a wbbb 1.1dbl as well and I also get the calf pressure. I made one from 1.1 ripstop that was an 11' hammock. that for me had significantly less calf pressure. So if you are handy with the thread injector try making your own and see if the additional length helps.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    Tinkr Custom, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    EE RevX, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware, Trees
    Images
    You may want to look into a Blackbird XLC, with your height this might be a better fit and the 11' length is supposed to eliminate calf ridge which is what I think you are describing. Check out this video from Brandon at Warbonnet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRoO_hx33Cg
    see you on the trail,
    Mike

#optoutside

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Foot View Post
    You may want to look into a Blackbird XLC, with your height this might be a better fit and the 11' length is supposed to eliminate calf ridge which is what I think you are describing. Check out this video from Brandon at Warbonnet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRoO_hx33Cg
    +1 to this.

At 6'4" and weighing in at 375lbs, I can say without a doubt that a longer hammock would do you well. If you're into ultralight, my best suggestion is to go to Papa Smurf's website (dreamhammock) and use his chart to find what the lowest weight fabric will hold you up, and go with one of his 11' hammocks. Having tried a few of his, you won't be disappointed.

There are plenty of options out there. If you have any specific questions, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll try to help as best I can.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

I'm not weighing in on the BB set up, but in reference to your comment of seeing hammocks set up with suspension taut even when unloaded, don't be tempted. There are some real reasons not to, doing with tension, but on a day to day basis, the hammock performs better with a proper sag to it. In the BB you should be able to lie on a pretty good diagonal by utilizing the foot box material, and be comfortable at the same time. Too bad you can't attend a GROUP HANG, where you can not only see good set ups, but get tons of friendly conversation about your specific problems. Perhaps you can get to a group hang. If so you will be glad you went.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Chinook & Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Kelty LTYR, JCP UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Have you tried setting up with the foot end higher than the head end? Also, try laying a little closer to the shelf. Maybe an 11' hammock would be more comfortable.
    +1

I'm fairly new to hammocks, and I've had a hard time getting an amazing night sleep like others talk about. I started with a DIY hammock last spring and spent hours making changes to the ridge line length, hammock length and material, whipping method, etc. I figured there was something wrong with my craftsmanship so I bought an ENO DoubleNest. With the width of the DN, I felt like I could get a better diagonal lay without my pad and sleeping bag slipping out, but I still felt pressure on my leg.

Last weekend, I went on my first camping trip of the year, following a suggestion, I put my ridge line length back to the suggested 83% and raised my foot end about 6". I ended up sleeping in and not wanting to get up, felt pretty darn good. I noticed my head was closer to the gathered end of the hammock than before, which adjusted where my legs ended up.

Also, because of your height, I'm guessing that if you don't go with a wider hammock, you'll still need to go with a longer one.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast