Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch

Unhappy Formula for determining splice points for fixed whoopie loop??

Okay so this is kind of a two part question...is there a formula for finding out at what points the splices need to be made for various fixed loop lengths? I.E. for a 5 in loop mark the splice points at such and such in. marks, for a 6 in loop mark at such and such in. marks. My reasoning for asking this is because I am thinking I want a bigger fixed loop as I am not whipping my hammock in the traditional manner and then attaching the sling with a larks head knot. Instead I am utilizing what rayd888 from YouTube refers to as the hammock 2.0(for those of you not familiar with that here's the link... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJlEQpcbM1I ). Now in the video it shows the knot being tied with a continuous loop made by a double fisherman knot which is why I was thinking a bigger loop is needed. The second part of my question I guess would be do I need a bigger fixed loop to attach the whoopie sling in that manner, or would a regular size fixed loop work just fine? Sorry if all that was a bit confusing, hopefully I made my point clearly enough. Thanks ahead of time for the help!

Hammock
    12' diy hammock
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    warmth
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    from the end, the first mark is your bury length. then the 2nd mark determines your eye length. so if your burying 5" then want a 6" loop. your first mark is at 5" and your 2nd mark is 6" after the first mark. or 11" from the end.

i thought the loop just needed to be big enough to get through the webbing and loop back through itself or around whatever your doing. i'm not totally sure here, but that is my guess. can't watch the video right now so i'm not totally sure how you want to do it.

Senior Member TheIrishmanHangeth's Avatar
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by sploiz View Post
    from the end, the first mark is your bury length. then the 2nd mark determines your eye length. so if your burying 5" then want a 6" loop. your first mark is at 5" and your 2nd mark is 6" after the first mark. or 11" from the end.

i thought the loop just needed to be big enough to get through the webbing and loop back through itself. i made my last one with a pretty small eye and its working just fine.
    So my bury length isn't determined by how big the loop needs to be then? And to make a certain sized loop I just double the distance of the loop length I want then mark that distance from the first mark? Hope I understood that correctly. By doubling the distance I was talking about marking out, for example, 6 inches if I wanted a 3 in loop when all is said and done, is that correct?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Formula for determining splice points for fixed whoopie loop??

Quote Originally Posted by TheIrishmanCometh View Post
    So my bury length isn't determined by how big the loop needs to be then? And to make a certain sized loop I just double the distance of the loop length I want then mark that distance from the first mark?
    Sounds like you got it!
    Last edited by MAD777; 03-26-2013 at 18:51.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Sounds like you go it!
    Great thanks!

Hammock
    12' diy hammock
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    warmth
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    the proper bury length is what always gets me confused. every time i go to make and i have had to look through one of the giant threads till i find it.

its something like 72 fid lenths? where 1 fid is the diameter of the rope. at least thats what i have in my head. i could be way off on that so don't put you weight in my hands. i make my bury's too long just to be on the safe side. could someone clear this up for me?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I've done that knot in the video with a one inch loop before. You can either vary the size of the loop or start the adjustable bury farther up. Both ways have the effect of increasing the distance from the end of the fixed loop to the start of adjustable bury leaving you enough of the sling to wrap around your material.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I've done that knot in the video with a one inch loop before. You can either vary the size of the loop or start the adjustable bury farther up. Both ways have the effect of increasing the distance from the end of the fixed loop to the start of adjustable bury leaving you enough of the sling to wrap around your material.
    Thanks bubba! I didn't even think to just increase the distance in between the bury and the fixed end. By how much did you increase that distance beyond the normal "average" length?

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sploiz View Post
    the proper bury length is what always gets me confused. every time i go to make and i have had to look through one of the giant threads till i find it.

its something like 72 fid lenths? where 1 fid is the diameter of the rope. at least thats what i have in my head. i could be way off on that so don't put you weight in my hands. i make my bury's too long just to be on the safe side. could someone clear this up for me?
    It's something like that. When I first started making whoopies, I read that the bury should be around 6" of 7/64 amsteel. So that's what I have been doing with mine. This is for the loop on the end, the actual whoopie bury is at least 10" long. I weigh around 235lbs, and have never had a problem......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIrishmanCometh View Post
    Thanks bubba! I didn't even think to just increase the distance in between the bury and the fixed end. By how much did you increase that distance beyond the normal "average" length?
    Depends on what kind of fabric you are going to use. Thicker material will require a little more length. IIRC though a normal whoopie sling with about 6 to 8 inches from the end of the fixed loop to the adjustable bury will be long enough. Its hard to get the material compressed by hand and it may seem like you will not have enough. Putting the whoopie on and then partially loading the hammock by starting to sit in it but not all the way will pull everything tighter and then you can work the sling some more until it's where you want it. After that you can get it and fully load the hammock and pull everything tight.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts