Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Why do people join a board that has functioned well for years, and try to change it?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

too much?

Quote Originally Posted by mcochran28 View Post
    ...the only way to inform everyone of any kind of better deal would be to do so inside of the thread. PMing the seller might make them aware they are selling their item for too high, but that doesnt stop them from doing so and also doesnt stop someone from buying that item...

And silversurfer my point is I dont care if YOUR happy or not. You are the one selling your hammock for too much. I'm looking out for a buyer...
    First of all, what is too much? Just because its available for less somewhere else, does that in and of itself make it a better value? There "could be" (sorry GrannyPat) additional value in buying from someone here. Plus, don't we have the right to sell something for what we think its worth, regardless of whether we're correct or not?

I've had the urge before to say, "hey, you know your $150 item is on sale new for $125?" so I get what you're saying. Heck, I also started a thread about how folks charged too much for used gear here. The truth is, though, you don't need to help the buyer in the seller's thread. Most of the time, its just not needed. Ignoring the thread can be the best way to tell the seller the price is too high. Sometimes, though, I can see where it would help, but it still assumes a lot to do so. If you want to post a new thread that informs everyone that an item is on sale somewhere, feel free, I think that's a better, and more respectful solution. Or if someone here is selling a similar item for cheaper, just keep bumping that thread. Seller might not like that, but that's a better way of sending a hint without infringing directly upon the rights of the seller.

Even if you have good motives for buyers, infringing on the seller's thread can and often does create ill will which mods are rightfully trying to avoid. Any "ill will" from selling something at a higher price is fleeting, and often the situation is self-correcting.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

I'm one of those

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Why do people join a board that has functioned well for years, and try to change it?
    Because often something done a certain way for years needs a second look. Nothing wrong with suggesting what you think is a better way, and then having folks with experience tell you why it may not work... AS LONG AS that reason is NOT because we've done it that way for years without any issues. WHY? Because no one would suggest doing something different if there wasn't an issue. Might be that their issue is minor or has been discussed before, but they still deserve the respect of real understanding of their question.

I've been on the other side with this site, though it seems the mods here are doing a better job respecting the new folks with all the suggestions they might have. Kudos to them for managing the site the way they have with all the growth.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Unless of course I am hard up for cash, then that might be a different story.
    You can pawn it with me. Mine could use a play-date anyway. I think it gets lonely as the only partial length synthetic quilt in my collection. It has a couple of big cousins from KAQ and Arrowhead, but it's the only midget.
    Trust nobody!

Images

Why no price police

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    You can pawn it with me. Mine could use a play-date anyway. I think it gets lonely as the only partial length synthetic quilt in my collection. It has a couple of big cousins from KAQ and Arrowhead, but it's the only midget.
    And one of a very few in existence with easily adjustable warmth, weight and bulk!

So if I sold it, who cares if something "similar" was available cheaper?

Hammock
    WBBB Double Layer
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    Sniveller

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Well Oldgringo this is the feedback and suggestions portion of the forum, I was just giving my feedback and my suggestion. I am not implying the site doesnt function at a top notch level, I am simply proposing a change based off of what I feel would be best for everyone.

Others have implied that this has to be rude or hurtful when that is just not the case. If someone were to post " Hey your ripping people off I saw that new for $20 less" then yes that would be rude. But posting " Just wanted to let everyone know I saw this item on amazon for a bit cheaper" it isn't rude in any capacity. If the seller feels "hurt" by this, they should realize they are potentially ripping off buyers.

If you have a one of a kind limited edition hammock, there likely won't be anyone posting you can get that hammock elsewhere cheaper now are they? If the buyer knows about the advantages ( say this is limited edition, or faster shipping, or just wants to support the hammock community) then of course if they are willing to pay more for it that is their choice. But if you don't know of your options, there isnt much of a choice to make.

The other issue is that items go so quickly on the for sale threads that impulse buys are very prevelant. People are assuming that people wouldnt post something for sale at an extremely high price because it is for sale here, in a trusted community. Thats unfortunately not the case and some people end up losing out in this situation.

There seems to be a general agreement that it is the buyers responsibility to do the research and find the best deal themselves, an idea I don't really understand. A buyer may not be aware of a sale on a specific site, or that its last years model. Everyone seems to be concerned that the seller wouldn't be happy, but what about the buyers who wouldn't be happy spending money they didnt have to?

The friction argument is where I am just out of my element, I'm not sure how to handle that part because you are all correct, it could create unwanted friciton. Threads could degenerate into pricing competitions, people might get their feelings hurt.

Again I just want to let everyone know this is just my two cents and I'm sure its worth much less than that to everyone here. The part about this forum I enjoy the most is that we can have these kinds of discussions without trying to hurt one another. I think we have heard both sides pretty thoroughly and as it stands it makes sense to keep the rule how it is. Just trying to find ways to improve everyone's experience here.

Now if you don't mind i'm going to go post my WBBB up for sale for 5k and see if I get any bites ( sorry for being facetious!)

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Well Oldgringo this is the feedback and suggestions portion of the forum, I was just giving my feedback and my suggestion.
    So long as it is done respectfully, absolutely. We are adaptive when needed and sometimes we aren't completely aware of an issue because we are used to the way it is. But you are right, it never hurts to pose a question about something as long as you're willing to accept the answer.
    Others have implied that this has to be rude or hurtful when that is just not the case.
    You are correct on this. However, you are correct based on how you would handle it. Not everyone possesses the ability to be tactful in real life. Doing so with typed words is difficult for the friendliest of people sometimes. The rule greatly reduces the possibility.

The friction argument is where I am just out of my element, I'm not sure how to handle that part because you are all correct, it could create unwanted friciton. Threads could degenerate into pricing competitions, people might get their feelings hurt.
    Again, we have to design rules that benefit the community as a whole. We are extremely proud of what has been created here on HF. In no small part, it is due to the goodwill shared by most here. There will always be disagreements (even over value), but we are setup for those disagreements to have the best chance at resolving themselves by not allowing certain things or behavior. It has worked and it continues to work.

If things in the For Sale were to get out of hand, then we would act to correct it. As far as I know, there have been very few instances of offerings being absurdly priced. The couple of threads that I can think of, simply fade out of sight after a couple of days because nobody wants whatever it is for the price.

The For Sale sub is already one of the most heavily moderated subs on this site and the Mods don't want to add to a workload when no additions are needed. So far, there appears to be almost no need at all to reissue badges to the Price Police.
    Trust nobody!

My complaint about Mcochran28

My inquiries, necessarily hasty and perfunctory as I write this letter to meet a deadline, have elicited a wealth of information about Mcochran28. Let's review the errors in Mcochran28's statements in order. First, Mcochran28 simply wants to win at all costs the war against our individualism and our liberties. A great many of us don't want him to cure the evil of discrimination with more discrimination. Still, we feel a prodigious pressure to smile, to be nice, and not to object to his obstinate jibes. Help me take action. Join your hands with mine in this, the greatest cause of our time.

'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, JBD
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Others have implied that this has to be rude or hurtful when that is just not the case. If someone were to post " Hey your ripping people off I saw that new for $20 less" then yes that would be rude. But posting " Just wanted to let everyone know I saw this item on amazon for a bit cheaper" it isn't rude in any capacity. If the seller feels "hurt" by this, they should realize they are potentially ripping off buyers.
    I'm hurt that you're telling me what's considered rude or hurtful, and if I should or shouldn't be hurt! Not really, but to put it bluntly, it's our own decisions on what to list items for, whether to pay for them and determine if it's a good value...not to police FS threads and then hijack the thread publicly with "hey, know you can get it at "cheaperwebsitebutwaitforevertobeshipped.com." That reminds me, perhaps one reason the perceived value of an item may be higher that listed on another website is shipping time, poor customer service from that website, etc....again it's up to the buyer and the seller to determine.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I see your points but isn't it always the buyers responsibility? If I go to a store to buy something and then I walk into another store and see the same thing for half price is it not my fault for not shopping around? If someone pulled me aside in the first store and told me about the second store I'd be grateful but that person doesn't need to announce that out loud to everyone in ear shot.

Keep in mind, your opinions are based on how you'd feel about the situation. The fact remains that we don't know how a seller would take anything anyone would say about the price he/she is asking. We all just need respect our differences.
    Last edited by Bubba; 03-27-2013 at 12:14.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast