custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

market price

Quote Originally Posted by mcochran28 View Post
    ...Others have implied that this has to be rude or hurtful when that is just not the case. If someone were to post " Hey your ripping people off I saw that new for $20 less" then yes that would be rude. But posting " Just wanted to let everyone know I saw this item on amazon for a bit cheaper" it isn't rude in any capacity. If the seller feels "hurt" by this, they should realize they are potentially ripping off buyers...

...The other issue is that items go so quickly on the for sale threads that impulse buys are very prevelant. People are assuming that people wouldnt post something for sale at an extremely high price because it is for sale here, in a trusted community. Thats unfortunately not the case and some people end up losing out in this situation...

...Again I just want to let everyone know this is just my two cents and I'm sure its worth much less than that to everyone here...
    First, your 2 cents IS worthwhile, for a lot of reasons including the discussion of the following issues that may not be as well known with all users...

While I can agree somewhat with impulse buys, I do think one of the issues with buying from a member here is that 1) you need to be an actual member with a minimum post count, and 2) the prevalent notion of sellers is not "buyer beware", but is instead "buyer satisfaction" reflecting the modus operandi of our beloved cottage industry vendors. We don't see it much - I presume because its handled through PM - but if there was an issue with the product, I'm sure the individual seller would do what is reasonable to do to ensure the buyer is satisfied. Otherwise, the unsatisfied buyer is welcome to post their experience here. In my opinion, there is value in that as opposed to places where we might be able to purchase items more cheaply.

You might want to check the thread I posted a while back as I questioned why used gear was often priced very close to what you could buy it for new. I learned a bit from the responses. I also learned a bit from selling used gear myself and incurring the costs of shipping - which has gone way up since I last sold something online.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t=59230&page=4

Not saying that there aren't times when something is posted for sale for what can reasonably be said is "too high" a price. But in general, their are other things to consider which deserve respect. It may be semantics, but I think this is what folks have referred to as "rude" is referring to being disrespectful of what you may or may not know about the item. To make a simple assessment based on price only is disrespectful in this regard. That said, information about availability at lower prices IS valuable, just that the individual thread for the item for sale is not the place to post this info for above reasons.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    In general, I don't buy used stuff, especially on this forum because the prices always seem inflated for used stuff. I mean, if I'm buying used stuff, it's because I can't afford new. So why would someone pay almost the new cost for a used item? Sure, there are good reasons like not having to wait for build/ship time, etc., but it's still used.

The FS forum operates somewhat like a car salesman operates. The car salesman's modus operandi is "Don't let the customer out the door without buying a car." So naturally, the car salesman gives you pricing that is only available while you're on the showroom floor. That pricing won't be available tomorrow!

So people see some popular item in the FS forum and they know it won't be long before someone snatches it. "Gee, that seems a bit pricey for a used item. Maybe I could PM the seller and negotiate a lower price and he'd take it?" the prospective buyer muses. The prospective buyer, however, knows that taking the time to send a PM may result in someone else taking dibs on the item, so the clock is ticking if they don't make an impulse buy. Which is why I don't buy much on this forum because I don't impulse buy if I can avoid it.

Another reason I think people pay too much for used stuff is because they're trying to help the seller out. Forum members may know HF member X lost his job or is poor as a church mouse. They therefore pay the asking price because they want to help the seller, and might count the seller as a friend.

Or maybe people pay the asking price just to maintain a sense of community among forum members. Whatever the motivation, I sure wouldn't want to be the one to post "you can get it cheaper over here."

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    This issue was addressed back in the 18th century. Click: Adam Smith's Invisible Hand Theory

And in the 20th century by Bobby McFerrin: "Don't worry, be happy!"
    Austrian school rules!
    Keynesians drool!

. That being said I see it almost as a disservice to any potential buyer not to fully inform them where they can get the item the cheapest, furthermore it would be in the best interest of the seller to let them know they are selling their item for above market price.
    caveat emptor
    It would seem that no one would purposly put an item up in the for sale section to rip someone off, but we don't live in a perfect world and unfortunately there are people out there trying to make a quick buck.
    caveat emptor
    I know if I bought ANY item in the for sale section, only to find a few days later I could have bought the item cheaper elsewhere I would feel taken advantage of.
    caveat emptor

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post

I have a Warbonnet ElDorado which is one of less than 10 that were made. I think I paid $150 for it in 2007. If I were to list it for sale (which will NEVER happen) it would be listed for no less than $500.
    $501......?

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post
    $501......?
    You missed the important part of that post:
    (which will NEVER happen)
    When it comes time to bury me, I will give Genuine Draft permission to sell it to finance a deep hole and a coffin big enough to hold me and my burial hammock.

I'll let her know to start with you.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    My inquiries, necessarily hasty and perfunctory as I write this letter to meet a deadline, have elicited a wealth of information about Mcochran28. Let's review the errors in Mcochran28's statements in order. First, Mcochran28 simply wants to win at all costs the war against our individualism and our liberties. A great many of us don't want him to cure the evil of discrimination with more discrimination. Still, we feel a prodigious pressure to smile, to be nice, and not to object to his obstinate jibes. Help me take action. Join your hands with mine in this, the greatest cause of our time.

Ha! The eternal smart as*! I love when someone is dependable. "Take it from Bob!"

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It seems the OP has quite a bit of time on his hands (and maybe I do for responding). But seriously, if I'm not shopping for an item, I could care less what it costs down the road. I certainly wouldn't spend time figuring out what it costs somewhere else and wouldn't care to make up a sign and stand in front of the one place advertising that it's cheaper somewhere else.

If the concern is to be nice to the buyer because we are a community of nice folk, I really am curious what it is you have against the seller who is no doubt also a nice person. In fact I'm curious if your best friend was trying to sell something, would you tell the prospective buyer (that you don't know) they can save a few bucks somewhere else?

I have to agree with Paulie, it may not be a simple matter of looking at the price of something. There are other factors that may need to be considered: shipping, duties, taxes, wait times, out of stock...

You asked, that's my take on it. But as always, HYOH.

Hammock
    DD Camping Hammock
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 tarp
    Insulation
    Gossammer Gear CCF
    Suspension
    SB Poly-Whoopies
    I must say I am disappointed to read people mocking Mcochran28 for asking a legitimate question and supporting his position. I am not observing the espoused individualism but mob mentality in these replies. Apparently a distant join date and/or a prodigious post count are necessary for one's opinion to be respected. How dare a contributing member want to look out for his fellow hangers.

Mcochran28 the content of this thread indicates to me that HFFS posters are encouraged to gouge as long as an ignorant buyer is willing. The feelings of the seller are more important. You are not permitted to point out that a gouge may be occurring. Although such an act might help the cash-strapped or ignorant noobs, it is not beneficial to the HF elite whom this board is here to serve.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
    I must say I am disappointed to read people mocking Mcochran28 for asking a legitimate question and supporting his position. I am not observing the espoused individualism but mob mentality in these replies. Apparently a distant join date and/or a prodigious post count are necessary for one's opinion to be respected. How dare a contributing member want to look out for his fellow hangers.

Mcochran28 the content of this thread indicates to me that HFFS posters are encouraged to gouge as long as an ignorant buyer is willing. The feelings of the seller are more important. You are not permitted to point out that a gouge may be occurring. Although such an act might help the cash-strapped or ignorant noobs, it is not beneficial to the HF elite whom this board is here to serve.

Matt, I know you think you have us cornered! But, I would add:
    This letter may be a bit overwhelming for those people who are still soundly asleep in a world of make-believe and television and who don't want to hear how it's time for Matt Blick to face the music. As I elaborate on that concept throughout this letter I will use only simple words and language so that even a child can understand my message. Yes, even a child should know that at no time in the past did detestable, ostentatious skites shamble through the streets of cities, demanding rights they imagine some supernatural power has bestowed upon them. Although I've reached the end of this letter, I'm not going to sit down. I'm not going to shut up. I'm only going to redouble my efforts to act honorably.

Images
    ^This should pretty much clear it up for you.

It is the buyer's responsibility to determine if the price is fair, or not. I have a Warbonnet ElDorado which is one of less than 10 that were made. I think I paid $150 for it in 2007. If I were to list it for sale (which will NEVER happen) it would be listed for no less than $500. Is that ridiculous? Sure is! But it is mine until someone pays me what I want for it.

Another example of this is that maybe I have some excess gear that I should maybe get rid of. I don't really want to though. So, I set my price at a mark above what it is probably worth. If it sells, I'm OK with it because I got what I wanted out of it. If it doesn't sell, I can always say I tried.

Why, would someone not want the most they could get out of an item? If it is priced at a ridiculous amount, buyers will not buy. Assuming you stick around for a while, you'll see lots of sellers coming down from their original price mark without a single person posting "You're ripping us off. I can get it on eBay for $3 less". The free-market system certainly has its flaws, but it works very well at a market level like a small forum. Added bonus, nobody gets insulted in the process.

We are not advocates for sellers or buyers. We simply provide a place for extra stuff to be sold and rules to eliminate well-known problems.
    +1 on this. I, as the buyer, take the time to look at what is being offered and whether I deem it worth the price or not. I might find it cheaper but the shipping makeS a difference, it might be more custom than what I find on line and ultimately, I know how much I'm willing to pay; what I'm comfortable with. Have I missed out on some good items? Yes. Am I booty hurt about it? No. Why? Because "Caveat Emptor". If it's meant to be, it will be for me. Silly to some I'm sure but not to me when I get what I want at a price I deemed fair and worthy.

I would much rather lose out on a good deal (any deal) than to hurt the feelings, comradery, or reputation of other forum member(s).

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast