After watching many, many times the videos of Prof. Hammock and Shug I have decided on my suspension system…for the most part that is, I think.

I went back and forth between the various types and decided I really dont need the light weight compact rigs so I went these materials.

On order from StrapWorks are two ready made slings, 1in poly @30ft each. WHOA!!! 30ft? Yep, with the intent to cut them in half …which still might be a tad long at 15 ft but its cheap enough and too long can be cut…too short is a hip-hop “artist”

Got four cinch buckles from OnRope1 on the way and 100ft of 1/8 Amsteel from LFS Marine.

Thinking one of two constructs here…

Option one, continuous loops with the Amsteel, probably 12in or so and run those through the channels on the hammock then connect them to the cinch buckles which of course will be attached to the tree straps. This would allow for the straps to be separate from the hammock which I guess has some and no specific advantages? Only concern is it seems like that thin loop of Amsteel would put a chance of friction burn on the channel?

Option two, run the webbing through the channels and then back to the cinch buckles and use a carabiner to make the connection at the tree. I add a piece of hardware to this rig but it seems like this way everything is attached and would make setup a snap if I made a “bishops” bag I could just sling it all out almost one handed. Seems like this would be a lesser strain on the channel than the thin rope?

I will be making structural ridge-lines from some of the Amsteel for both cause I think that will further make the setup simple and fast. I will primarily be camping with the Cub Scouts for the next five years since I have one starting Tigers next year when his brother goes Bear. Its kinda a dad’s contest to see who can make and break camp faster so that’s part of my motivation and also why size/weight don’t matter much.

Don’t know…but since I have two hammocks to work with I may play around with both suspension options. Anyone have opinions on either if the two?