WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG Standard CF
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix & Burro
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Mass - AT Section Hike - April 13 - 15 - N. Adams to Pittsfield

I originally posted this trip to the New England Over 40 Hiking Group on Meetup.com a couple weeks ago. I haven't had any takers. The feedback I am getting from the NEO40 members is the trip is too early in the season for most of them.

So, I thought I would post the trip here for my fellow hangers to enjoy. I prefer small groups on multi-day events. Therefore, I am limiting attendance to six people. Please contact me by PM if you wish to attend. I will add you as my guest to the Meetup.

You can also sign up directly on the NEO40 Meetup site by clicking here.

Here is the trip description.

-----------------------------------------------

Spend Patriot's Day weekend backpacking 27.8 miles along the Appalachian Trail in Massachusetts. This trip takes us through the heart of the Berkshires including Mt. Greylock, 3,491 Ft, the highest point in Massachusetts.

Saturday April 13
    We meet at the small gravel lot where the AT intersects Blotz Road in Pittsfield, Mass. We will leave some vehicles at this location and carpool approximately 30 minutes North to the trailhead on Pattison Road in North Adams.

Hiking South on the AT, we ascend steeply to Mt. Williams, 3,110 Ft. at 3.1 miles. Continuing along the ridge, we summit Mt. Greylock at 5.4 miles. Here we will explore the WWI memorial. The AMC's Bascom Lodge doesn't open until May, so there will be no services available on Mt. Greylock.

Continuing South on the ridge, we'll descend slightly to the Mark Noepel Shelter where we will spend the night. In addition to the shelter, this facility includes tent platforms, a privy and a spring. Total mileage for the day is 8.7 miles.

Sunday, April 14
    Continuing South along the AT, we reach the town of Dalton at about 5 miles. Just south of Dalton an area know as "The Cobbles" offers scenic overlooks. We''ll traverse North Mountain a woody boggy highland area before reaching our destination for the day, Crystal Mountain Campsite at 9.0 miles. The campsite has a water source and a privy. According to reports on Whiteblaze.net, a bearbox was recently installed.

Monday April 15 (Patriot's Day)
    Heading south on the AT on our final day, We reach the town Dalton at approximately 5 miles. A short climb takes us to Day Mountain, were we'll enjoy some views of the town. A short descent and climb takes us to Tully Mountain, were we'll enjoy more views. Our trip ends at 10.1 miles, when we reach the parking lot on Blotz Road. From here we'll carpool back to Pattison Road in North Adams to retrieve the vehicles we left there.

Be Safe
    Please be prepared with adequate shelter, food, clothing and equipment for a multi-day backpacking trip. This trip is intended for experienced hikers able to hike 10+ miles per day over mountainous terrain.

This is an early-season trip. You can expect temperatures to dip below freezing at night. You'll need a sleeping bag rated for 20 Deg F or better. Rain gear is required. And, of course, no cotton clothing or sleeping bags.

This is black bear country. Please bring line and a stuff sack large enough for your food, toiletries and other odorous items so that we can hang them out of reach. We don't want any close encounters of the ursine kind!

If you are an experienced hiker, but new to backpacking you are welcome to join us. However, you need to contact the leader before RSVPing, so that you are fully prepared and know what to bring and what to expect.

Be Considerate
    Due to the nature of the event, attendance is limited to six people including the leader. Folks need to plan ahead in order to attend. If you sign up for this trip and then bail at the last minute, you deny someone else the opportunity to enjoy this trip. Therefore, PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS HIKE UNLESS YOU KNOW FOR SURE YOU CAN ATTEND.

As a condition of your voluntary participation in this activity you acknowledge and agree to the following: this activity involves inherent risks that can cause property damage, injury, illness, disability, and/or death to participants and/or others; you assume all risk associated with this activity; you are responsible for having the necessary knowledge, skills, abilities, clothing, and equipment to safely participate in this activity; you know and will follow the Hiker Responsibility Code described at www.hikesafe.com; the leader(s) of this activity are volunteers; and you release, hold harmless, and indemnify the leader(s) and all members of this group from any and all claims for property damage, injury, illness, disability, and/or death - including those caused by negligence and/or other reasons.

Hammock
    WBBB / WWM
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing & whoops..
    I'd be interested in this. If family logistics allow, I'll PM you next week.

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip

Mass - AT Section Hike - April 13 - 15 - N. Adams to Pittsfield

Hikerdude that is a beautiful area. Hiked that area a couple of times. Wish I could make it.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG hex, WBSF
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle
    Images
    I'm over 40, sounds like a well planned fun and challenging trip. Not available for the dates though.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    My buddy and I will be doing this hike in the opposite direction in May. Got our plan tickets and getting excited about it. Post a report when you get back and let us know the good, bad, and ugly.

Hammock
    Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies
    1960HikerDude,

Good plan. Well described.

Just what I am looking for. Unfortunatly . . .
    I am taking a AMC Wilderness First Aid course April14 & April21 (16 hours )

If you have to change the days Or a group forms for another date and follows your plan; I am interest.

G
    trailname : Distracted By Stone

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG Standard CF
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix & Burro
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Video trip report Part 1

Last edited by 1960HikerDude; 04-18-2013 at 06:47.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG Standard CF
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix & Burro
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Video trip report Part 2

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition A-sym
    Tarp
    Hennessy Cat
    Insulation
    Reflectix
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings.com
    I love hiking the Greylock area. Sorry I missed out! Great vids. Thanks!

• + New Posts