mine...at the moment :)
    Tarp
    a 8x10 blue :)
    Insulation
    about 30% BMI
    Suspension
    TBD...

I think I have decided...pretty sure...yep, at least for now

After watching many, many times the videos of Prof. Hammock and Shug I have decided on my suspension system…for the most part that is, I think.

I went back and forth between the various types and decided I really dont need the light weight compact rigs so I went these materials.

On order from StrapWorks are two ready made slings, 1in poly @30ft each. WHOA!!! 30ft? Yep, with the intent to cut them in half …which still might be a tad long at 15 ft but its cheap enough and too long can be cut…too short is a hip-hop “artist”

Got four cinch buckles from OnRope1 on the way and 100ft of 1/8 Amsteel from LFS Marine.

Thinking one of two constructs here…

Option one, continuous loops with the Amsteel, probably 12in or so and run those through the channels on the hammock then connect them to the cinch buckles which of course will be attached to the tree straps. This would allow for the straps to be separate from the hammock which I guess has some and no specific advantages? Only concern is it seems like that thin loop of Amsteel would put a chance of friction burn on the channel?

Option two, run the webbing through the channels and then back to the cinch buckles and use a carabiner to make the connection at the tree. I add a piece of hardware to this rig but it seems like this way everything is attached and would make setup a snap if I made a “bishops” bag I could just sling it all out almost one handed. Seems like this would be a lesser strain on the channel than the thin rope?

I will be making structural ridge-lines from some of the Amsteel for both cause I think that will further make the setup simple and fast. I will primarily be camping with the Cub Scouts for the next five years since I have one starting Tigers next year when his brother goes Bear. Its kinda a dad’s contest to see who can make and break camp faster so that’s part of my motivation and also why size/weight don’t matter much.

Don’t know…but since I have two hammocks to work with I may play around with both suspension options. Anyone have opinions on either if the two?
    “Being smart is what keeps some people from being intelligent” --- Thomas Sowell

“Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys” --- P. J. O'rourke

"...I concluded my speech by telling them that I was done with politics for the present, and they might all go to hell, and I would go to Texas." David Crockett

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    IMO, it is a real benefit to be able to EASILY unhook your suspension from your hammock to avoid packing wet suspension straps in the same bag as your hammock.

This is why I just switched to the dutch hooks/continuous loops from my current all-in-one system.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I have hung in the rain twice so far and had no issues with webbing being wet when I packed up. Yes the webbing was slightly damp but not wet. Polyester webbing does not hold water like nylon webbing does and is not so much an issue when packing up. Also, you can always spray alittle scotch guard on your webbing if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    I have hung in the rain twice so far and had no issues with webbing being wet when I packed up. Yes the webbing was slightly damp but not wet. Polyester webbing does not hold water like nylon webbing does and is not so much an issue when packing up. Also, you can always spray alittle scotch guard on your webbing if you want.
    I have not had issues either. I just pack it all up. If its damp I will dry it all out at home. If its wet and damp enough outside then I tend to give it a day or so on all my gear opened up in the house. Yes my wife loves it. I love the HYOH attitude around here. All for it.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

I think I have decided...pretty sure...yep, at least for now

Quote Originally Posted by mrz2u View Post
    ... I have decided on my suspension system…for the most part that is, I think...I went back and forth between the various types....
    Every time I say I'm done, finished with trying different suspensions, I'm sticking with what I have --- I read another thread and find myself actually lusting after the new suspension idea.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    about 30% BMI
    Suspension
    TBD...
    no concerns on the Amsteel vs webbing being better or worse for the channel?
    “Being smart is what keeps some people from being intelligent” --- Thomas Sowell

“Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys” --- P. J. O'rourke

"...I concluded my speech by telling them that I was done with politics for the present, and they might all go to hell, and I would go to Texas." David Crockett

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    With 100' of 1/8" Amsteel you'd love Mike's SLS System:

Beginning with a fixed loop at the foot:

It runs up to one tree tree strap then over to the other:

Then down to the head, where it is adjustable with a simple pinned hitch:

Hang angles don't matter with this system as long as your SRL is made of the same 1/8" material. Some worry about too much force on the tree. That probably depends on the tree.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    about 30% BMI
    Suspension
    TBD...
    well thats not far off what I am planning on doing anyway...just more webbing and sub two cinch buckles for two carabiners

Hammock
    My Modded TW hammock
    Tarp
    Alpkit
    Insulation
    UK custom 75% UQ.
    Suspension
    Erm. . Custom.
    I'm thinking of amsteel loops and a marlin spike/toggle used as a quick release fastener. Still thinking about a length adjuster.. .

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrz2u View Post
    no concerns on the Amsteel vs webbing being better or worse for the channel?
    An amsteel loop larksheaded in the end channels will be no problem. The larkshead is tight enough so there is no friction between the amsteel and the nylon and its bunche up so its not in contact with that much nylon. It's the option I'd go with. You can make the loops shorter than 12 inches as well so you have a shorter minumum distance for hanging.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts