DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Agree with SilvrSurfr about a hammock not being a bed. It can take a while to retrain your brain and body to not treat it as one. I'm a terrible sleeper but hammocks have become far more tolerable for me than beds.

Sorry but I can't offer any tips on the stomach sleeping part. Side and back sleeper here.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    +2 for SilvrSurfr's comments. I think I have like 14 hammocks now and it took me a long time to figure this out. I have a couple of fused vertebrae in my neck, a bad lower back and mild (corrected) sleep apnea. When I am in my TTTG Switchback or WW I am totally on my back all night and usually only wake up once or twice and rarely snore. I have a BB XLC on order, I am hoping that it may give me the best sleep of all of them.
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Join Date, post count, number of hammocks, 365 hammock use for many years. Big C is one of the gurus.
    Got all that...this thread is hijacked...but dang it, I'm older than he is by a long shot, I've gone to college, rafted white rivers, flown airshows, singlehanded and studied celestial navigation, and I don't know about the figure 4 position, and I can sleep on a pile of ropes. The guys a magician! The next thing you know, he'll claim he's trained a donkey!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

practice practice practice

Set up an indoor hammock (if you dont already have one) and start some practice naps or sleep a night or two a week in the hammock.

Its easier to do some adjusting at home and tweak your set up to what is comfy for you. Try a variety of hammocks, widths, lengths, amount of sag, etc., etc., etc. Everyone is different, what works for somebody else may not be for you? So, try a variety.

I was a stomach sleeper in the normal bed, but the hammock supports the body differently and switched to being a back sleeper.

Sleep is important. Check with your doc, your sleep issues may have some underlying causes.

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'm glad I finally accepted that it's two different kinds of sleep. Otherwise, I'd be out there still trying different hammocks trying to get the sleep I'm used to in a bed. The bed sleep wasn't all that great anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Agree with SilvrSurfr about a hammock not being a bed. It can take a while to retrain your brain and body to not treat it as one. I'm a terrible sleeper but hammocks have become far more tolerable for me than beds.
    This may be the ticket. I currently have an 11ft. gathered end with fixed RL. It's super cozy, but I keep trying to treat it like a bed, I suppose. I currently don't backpack, just car camp. I figure that once start hiking a few miles to get to camp, my fatigue may take over and help give me the sleep I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Set up an indoor hammock (if you dont already have one) and start some practice naps or sleep a night or two a week in the hammock.
    I was a stomach sleeper in the normal bed, but the hammock supports the body differently and switched to being a back sleeper.

Sleep is important. Check with your doc, your sleep issues may have some underlying causes.
    No room or permission to set up an indoor rig. I may attempt to go for a couple of nights here and there in the backyard though.

Next question for the new back sleepers... What do you do for a pillow? I would wake the woods with my back sleeping snoring. Has there been any luck with neck pillows for you?

And Gargoyle, you may be on to something here about the seeing the doc.

Thanks folks for weighing in.

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Re: which one works for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    It's called the figure 4 position
    When I hear Figure Four position, this comes to mind.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QIB7dUP...%3DQIB7dUPQB4E
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

I use a Wilderness Logics pillow. They are light and very packable.
    http://wildernesslogics.com/Pillow-Pillow.htm

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Got all that...this thread is hijacked...but dang it, I'm older than he is by a long shot, I've gone to college, rafted white rivers, flown airshows, singlehanded and studied celestial navigation, and I don't know about the figure 4 position, and I can sleep on a pile of ropes.
    All that means is that you have made better use of your time than I have.

It actually flashed me back to my very early days learning the ways of the hammock. Could have been on Whiteblaze, Risk's site, Sgt. Rock's site, Ed Speers yahoo group; no clue the source. However, it stuck in my brain because it was such a simple description for a position I had heard people trying to describe. When I read that it is simply making your legs form the shape of the number 4, it appealed to my inner keep is simple stupid mantra.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    The next thing you know, he'll claim he's trained a donkey!
    Not possible. Mine have me far better trained than I have them. If I could just get Spike to NOT bite my backside through the hammock when I'm sleeping in the pasture, I'd be thrilled! Alas, he thinks it is great fun. I swear he laughs about it.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12