Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images

Hanging in the Smokies?

I'm planning a section hike for this summer NOC north to Hot Springs. I'm not a fan of shelters, especially in the summer. I know park regs require you to stay at a shelter each night but you are permitted to camp nearby if it is full. I use an underquilt for my bottom insulation but I am planning on bringing a thermarest for this section in case I don't have a choice. My question to those in the know, has anyone hiked through the Smokies in the last year or so in the summer? If so, how often were you able to hang? I've heard most folks suggest that you get to shelter and wait for it to fill up and/or linger on the trail and show up late towards the end of the day. I was just wondering what folks experiences have been. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Hammock
    11'x72" 1.6 HyperD XL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    APEX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies

smokies

If you qualify for a thru hiker permit, then you can set up outside of the shelter if it is full. To qualify for a thru hiker permit, they require that you start your hike 50 miles outside of the park and continue your hike 50 miles past the park. I'm sure that people fudge the truth all the time about their thru hiker status, so they can get the permit. Especially since the park does not have any real way to confirm if an applicant has met their requirements.

It is possible to set up a hammock in the shelters, but the ATC has discouraged the practice out of concern for the structures and respect for the other guests in the shelters. The shelters in the smokies though are pretty spacious and most have been newly renovated in the last 15 years or so. Further, the GSMNP is ok with you setting up your hammock in their shelters as long as you do so with respect towards the other shelter guests.

Just keep in mind that hammocks take up a lot of living space in the shelters. If the shelter is close to full, you will probably not be the most popular guy in the shelter if you slap up a hammock.

Heck, we ran in to a group of 4 hikers at Laurel Gap shelter off of the AT in the smokies, who had sprawled out all their gear throughout the shelter. The entire top bunk was taken up by two tents that they had set up, apparently to dry them out. They had stretched out all their clothes and gear to dry, had all their cookware scattered across the benches. We didn't have much in the way of conversation with them. As the shelter filled up, they at least did take down their tents. They said they thought they were going to have the shelter all to themselves.....

So whatever you do, be a good hammock ambassador in the shelters.... or else you might come across looking like this group I mentioned above.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I'd say go for a thru-hiker permit and hang.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    GT Single
    Tarp
    Henny Hex 70D
    Insulation
    DIY Peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I'd say just jump on the AT in the Cherokee National Forrest and hang where you want.
    Desiel®
    Hanging Noob
    "If you can't change it, don't worry about it."
    -Me

“All you need is 20 seconds and insane courage, and I promise you something great will come of it.”

Hammock
    DD Camping Hammock
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 tarp
    Insulation
    Gossammer Gear CCF
    Suspension
    SB Poly-Whoopies
    If you aren't in the park often, you might not know that the *#$&ing ^#@*head Ditmanson got his backpacker tax through, the permit process has changed.
    Southern Forest Watch has filed a federal suit and most surrounding counties have passed resolutions condemning the fees. Smoky Mountain greats including Jim Casada and Johnny Malloy are active in condemning Ditmanson's actions.

Here's information on Ditmanson got it though with lies and deceptions - note that FOI requests were required to uncover the truth:
    http://southernhighlanders.com/chron...d_misrepr.html

What is important to note is that this reservation system fee pays for the reservation system; a fee to levy a fee. No money is raised for the park by it.

I bring all of this up to let you know that besides starting the thru-hike distance, you now have to reserve your stay and pay $20. If you don't start 50 miles outside you need to do the general permit and specify days at sites @ $4/night.

Have fun!
    -Matt-
    Last edited by mattblick; 03-29-2013 at 09:07.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    If you haven't already, check out the new back country reservation site https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index.cfm The fee is new this year, and will be paying for two seasonal employees to check up on permit violations. I haven't heard anything about folks' experience with the permits yet this year or when the seasonal folks will start working. When some thru hikers get thru the park you'll start hearing about their experience with the permits over on www.whiteblaze.net

Hammocks are NOT allowed in or attached to a shelter. http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisi...untry-regs.htm

The max fee per person is $20 which is the cost of a thru hiker permit. You could just get a regular permit and not worry about the 50 mile before/after park boundaries since you'll be within that distance for your trip.

Hammock
    DD Camping Hammock
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 tarp
    Insulation
    Gossammer Gear CCF
    Suspension
    SB Poly-Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    If you haven't already, check out the new back country reservation site https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index.cfm The fee is new this year, and will be paying for two seasonal employees to check up on permit violations.
    Unfortunately that isn't true. There will be 2 new seasonal employees - but they are not being funded by the reservation system. This is another one of the lies that Ditmanson initially spread. Friends of the Smokies donated the money that is covering the salaries of those 2 employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    The max fee per person is $20 which is the cost of a thru hiker permit. You could just get a regular permit and not worry about the 50 mile before/after park boundaries since you'll be within that distance for your trip.
    And there is the other caveat; a person would have to plan well and specify the sites and dates, though ONE change is allowed on the non-refundable permit. The fee is $4/night max $20 with a maximum permit length of 7 nights; buy 5 get 2 free? A second permit would be required if you don't make it through the park in 7 nights.

I notice you are in Knoxville DetailMan, Knox county just passed a resolution in opposition on Monday.
    http://hikinginthesmokys.blogspot.co...ntry-fees.html
    Last edited by mattblick; 03-29-2013 at 09:17.

Hammock
    WBRR DL
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    HG UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Several thru hikers have mentioned in their blogs that park rangers are actively checking permits once you enter the park. Just an FYI.

--louis

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
    Unfortunately that isn't true. There will be 2 new seasonal employees - but they are not being funded by the reservation system. This is another one of the lies that Ditmanson initially spread. Friends of the Smokies donated the money that is covering the salaries of those 2 employees.

I notice you are in Knoxville DetailMan, Knox county just passed a resolution in opposition on Monday.
    http://hikinginthesmokys.blogspot.co...ntry-fees.html
    I wasn't aware the Friends had funded the 2 employees. I knew the fees were to cover the cost of the reservation system and no money would be spent for the park.

Thanks for the heads up on the resolution. That news hasn't been in the local paper. Interesting comments posted with that link.

The Smokies are a beautiful place, but it's soooooo much easier to hike and hang in nearby national forests with comparable beauty.

• + New Posts