Tarp
    12x10 Ripstop DIY
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/webbing
    Images

DIY Poncho liner Top quilt

Okay, this is my first attempt at a top quilt, but I don't have the courage to try stuffing with down and facing the wife's wrath. What I did was to take a 86" x 50" poncho liner and sew up the bottom and then join the center seam for about 28".

Then I went to JoAnne Fabrics and got 84" of 58" wide Blizzard Fleece (It was on sale for $4.49 a yard) and sewed that in a similar fashion. The fleece liner fits perfectly into the poncho liner and is quite warm. I plan on doing the backyard test this weekend.

Any thoughts or criticisms would be appreciated.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Those poncho liners are really nice for warmer temps.

I especially like the length - I can pull them over my head to extend the temp range lower.

Good job - it will serve you well!

Hammock
    DIY w/ MSB, MMG Bivy Hammock
    Tarp
    12x10 Ripstop DIY
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Funny Money View Post
    Those poncho liners are really nice for warmer temps.

I especially like the length - I can pull them over my head to extend the temp range lower.

Good job - it will serve you well!
    Yeah, I like the extended length for pulling it over my head. The reason for the fleece liner was to make more acceptable when the temps dip. I made it through a 35* night last April with just a fleece liner and a wool blanket, so this should be quite toasty. At least that is what I am hoping for. It is supposed to be down in the mid-30 degree range tonight, so I will find out.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alrany187 View Post
    Yeah, I like the extended length for pulling it over my head. The reason for the fleece liner was to make more acceptable when the temps dip. I made it through a 35* night last April with just a fleece liner and a wool blanket, so this should be quite toasty. At least that is what I am hoping for. It is supposed to be down in the mid-30 degree range tonight, so I will find out.
    It should do just fine for that. I've pushed one as low as 24* F with proper clothing and under insulation for the temps, with just a small fleece throw added. I've survived at 21* F, but was very cold that night. But...I'm also a near-inhumanly warm sleeper. I'd figure on freezing to mid-thirties for a liner and a fleece for most folks.

Hope your testing goes well!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Wow, those things sure save the budget, huh? Thanks, alrany, for this excellent solution.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Nice quilts dude. The only thing I would have done differently would have been to run some string through the bottom instead of sewing it. Takes less time and IMO better. I did this on my first pltq and found that there was a lot of weirdness having corners on my sleeping bag so to speak. So one day I ripped the seams and ran some shockcord through the grosgrain. From that day forward I've never looked at quilts the same.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Tarp
    12x10 Ripstop DIY
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/webbing
    Images

Results of backyard test

Well, I set up my tarp and hammock with my PLUQ yesterday in order to test the PLTQ. I crawled into it around 11:00 PM and after adjusting it a little, was quite comfortable. I put my ccf pad into the foot box and it was a little too tight fitting in there, so some trimming is in order. Temps got down to 34* last night and anything outside the quilt (head and face) could certainly feel it. Overall, I give it a passing grade as it performed exactly as planned.
    I do realize that the PLUQ was unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    It should do just fine for that. I've pushed one as low as 24* F with proper clothing and under insulation for the temps, with just a small fleece throw added. I've survived at 21* F, but was very cold that night. But...I'm also a near-inhumanly warm sleeper. I'd figure on freezing to mid-thirties for a liner and a fleece for most folks.

Hope your testing goes well!
    It did go well, thank you. I dressed light on purpose as I wanted a better sense of what the quilt was doing rather than the layers I was wearing. MY clothing consisted of a pair of fleece lined nylon sweatpants and a regular sweatshirt.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    Wow, those things sure save the budget, huh? Thanks, alrany, for this excellent solution.
    The top quilts that are available are very nice, but I couldn't seem to work it right now, so I had to use what was available and/or dirt cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    Nice quilts dude. The only thing I would have done differently would have been to run some string through the bottom instead of sewing it. Takes less time and IMO better. I did this on my first pltq and found that there was a lot of weirdness having corners on my sleeping bag so to speak. So one day I ripped the seams and ran some shockcord through the grosgrain. From that day forward I've never looked at quilts the same.
    I thought of something like that, but I wanted the ability to put the bottom of the ccf inside the quilts and that would work best with them flat.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Carry forth bro...wasn't saying it didn't work, just not my can o beans. I am glad it worked well for you though.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Tarp
    12x10 Ripstop DIY
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    Carry forth bro...wasn't saying it didn't work, just not my can o beans. I am glad it worked well for you though.
    Please let me apologize. I didn't take your comments that way. I seriously did think of boxing it. I have read many of your posts and always appreciate your open and intelligent way of thinking out a project.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    so with just a PLUQ and PLTQ how low can you go with moderate (2 layers max) clothing on?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast