Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT

Hello Hammock Hangers - Self Intro

Hello to the group,

I've been reading this forum periodically for about a year and have finally decided to register. My name is David and I live in WV.

I've not yet tried hammock camping but I've been thinking about giving it a try. I'm interested in getting into backpacking treks of several days in length so finding a shelter/sleep setup that is not too bulky and is light weight is a consideration, which would not be the case if car or kayak camping.

Last May I drove down to Damascus, Va. and spent the day checking out the vendors at Trail Days. Where I got to see first hand some of the hammocks discussed here on the fourm. Picked up a copy of the Speers book which seems to have become lost somewhere inside my house. At least I haven't been able to find to for a couple of months. One vendor there quoted me a discounted price for a full setup with hammock, tarp, UQ etc and the price was , well, quite pricey. Dampening my enthusiasm for giving it a try.

Thus far - as far as I've gotten is that I picked up a Tree Hugger hammock at the East Coast Canoe and Kayak Festival in Charleston SC a few years ago and on day hikes practiced looking around to see if I could find a place where I'd like to camp and had trees of the correct size and spacing. On the one hand some times I found it difficult to find trees of the right spacing that I would want to sleep under. Yet on the other hand I did find it interesting that sometimes I also found places I would like to camp where a hammock would work yet it would have been impossible to be a ground dweller in the same spot.

Anyway, of the hammocks I can find a lot of information about and that aren't too expensive are the DD Hammock or Claytor Expedition or Jungle hammock - which many seem to prefer over the Expedition model, but the extra length means extra weight not only for the hammock but a larger/heavier tarp would also be needed.

The Claytor I suppose maybe lower cost vs the DD Hammock to order due to the shipping cost of the DDH. But if I decide to order a DD Hammock perhaps I may find some others here who would be interested in obtaining one and I could order more than one and split the $50 shipping fee. I'd likely be interested in ordering two for my own use as I have a 12 year old son who is usually more gungho to go out and sleep in the woods than I have the energy for.

I suppose my two biggest concerns about hammocking are the bulk of the setup for camping during cooler weather and just how comfortable I would feel being attached to a couple of trees during an electrical storm.

Anyway, thanks to all for the useful information , reviews and pictures I've found here during my 12 months+ of lurking and reading.

Best regards,

David

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidWa View Post

and just how comfortable I would feel being attached to a couple of trees during an electrical storm.
    Keep in mind it doesn't matter where you are, if lightning is going to hit you being on the ground as opposed to in the air won't make squat of difference. It's just one of those inherent risks you take when camping in nasty weather.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Make your interest in the DD hammock known in the Want to buy thread. There was a group purchase within the last year. Perhaps there is one collecting dust in a gear closet you could put to use.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome to HF, David!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    2 Warbonnet BlackBird & Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SF+
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Welcome to the addition

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sir White Wolf View Post
    Welcome to the addition
    To the addition?

I think SWW meant, "Welcome to the Addiction!" You should attend a hang, like the Hot Springs hang in April to really get a first hand look at the different setups and test drive a couple different styles of hammock.

BTW, check the 4sale thread - there are always hammocks 4sale popping up there for a lot less than you could get them brand new, so your initial investment is considerable less than buying brand new. And some of the manufacturers post their deals and sales here on the site as well. But get to a Hang - excellent people, the best "group camping" experience I have ever had.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Welcome to Hammock Forums
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Welcome, and btw, having spent about 25 years in the woods on a regular basis and having done a whole lot of research, I feel better about hanging and lightning than being a ground dweller and lightning. A direct hit, though is just that, a direct hit, and nothing else matters. What strikes most, though are feeders from the strike that often travel through the ground.

Just my $.02.

Again, go for it, you will love it and not just a weight issue, it is a huge comfort issue. Hard to measure the cost of that in $ or weight.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Welcome aboard.

I pondered and was looking for the best deal too. You can sometimes find a Hennessy for cheaper on eBay, which was my way in. Then this little urge turned into a big urge to find something that suited me better, despite the fact that what I had worked fine. I didn't have issues with the bottom slit, the bug net being attached, or anything else. It just wasn't enough.

I find the features of the Blackbird are the best of the Hennessy, with some others that will make it work better for me. I like that I can use it as a chair with the quilt still attached, and the removable bugnet, and the asym shape, the fact that I can adjust the length of the straps while the hammock's hung, and the double layer that lets me put a pad in or makes it a flatter lay. The shelf is icing. At some point you will find the features that are most important to you and get another hammock - it's one of those things you will discover as you go along, what's important. The other thing you will discover is how to be creative; there are more places to hang than you think.

Have fun on the journey.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Make your interest in the DD hammock known in the Want to buy thread. There was a group purchase within the last year. Perhaps there is one collecting dust in a gear closet you could put to use.
    I'll second that. I know where one is doing just that.

Welcome to the forum!
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast