Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I could repeat about everything that the posters before me have said, and mean every word of it, plus there is something in me that believes that one day when I log on I will be privileged to read someones new idea that will transcend everything we use today. I totally believe that this community holds within it the knowledge/ability to accomplish most anything. Hey, and we get along with each other, no small consideration.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    For me, it's about threads like this - or at least the impetus behind it.

And before you just think I'm sucking up, let me explain ... it's not about the free stuff, or what's given - but about the spirit of community that makes people want to give back. And the place (Hammockforums) that brings that out in us.

In my time here, I've seen people fall on hard times and have members offer to help out by sending them gear till they get back on their feet. I've seen members have their stuff stolen or vandalized, and other members rally and donate money to buy them new gear. I've seen people have their houses damaged by natural disasters and other members go lend a hand in clean up and rebuilding. Countless random acts of gifting, paying it forward, members always willing to lend their time, knowledge, and personal resources to oftentimes complete strangers - hardly a week goes by without something like this happening.

There's something about this place - maybe it's the fact that it's devoted to the hammock, which at it's heart is a device made for hanging out in (pun intended) - that fosters a sense of camaraderie and giving that I've never encountered anywhere else on the 'intarwebz'. Some days I only have time to come on and check the for sale threads and trip reports, some days I just check on what DIY projects are going on, and some days I spend hours checking out a multitude of sub forums ... but I can't remember more then a day or two in the past 2+ years that I haven't spent at least some time here.

This community loves to share with each other - whether it's knowledge, friendship, entertainment, physical goods, or just a confirmation that there are still decent people out there. And that makes you want to be around it, and participate in it, as much as possible.

Cheers, and good on you for doing this.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Hototo, that is a truly beautiful piece of art. Good on you!
    Last edited by Hawk-eye; 03-30-2013 at 04:17.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    NeoAir LT / DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    There is really only one answer. It has to be the people, without them the site would be pretty lonely all by myself. ;-)

I learn something new almost every day I am here.

For inspiration. To go out and really enjoy them piney woods.

Hammock
    Dutch's prototypes
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    All Dutchware
    What keeps me here?

That's easy, complete strangers who give away swag for just making a post.

Joking

It's the hardy meals served at 501 shelter hangs.

That and Shug and Fronkey videos.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    I originally joined with the intension of reading and learning what I needed to get out and hang. After a short time here I found the atmosphere was very kind. Was then talked into attending a group hang...met some wonderful guys. The chance to meet more folks keeps me coming back.

Thanks.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, JBD
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Re: Just my way of saying Thank You...

The friendly people & great advice keeps me returning to HF!
    Next Palmetto State Hangers Hang: Spring Swing @ Huntington Beach State Park

Palmetto State Hangers is proudly sponsored by and is proud to support: Dream Hammock, Underground Quilts,
    TATO Gear, Ripstop by the Roll, Hound Dog Hammock Gear, & Get Your Gear On.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Got lost in the spoon and completely forgot the question in the OP.

Why am I a fan of this site? I found the forum at about the time we lost our son. The idea of getting back into the woods and doing it in a hammock struck a chord and it was something to immerse myself in to avoid the feelings that were wearing on the soul. Then I actually got out and met the 8 or 10 that comprise our core group of hangers. People that I have come to appreciate and value for their friendships. Then there are the 75 or so at the annual Florida Hang, old friends who were missed and new friends made this past year. Then there are the 100's here on the forum which you can express an idea with or discuss a concept with as if you were talking with a family member.

Being on the north side of 60 I have come to realize that I have earned the right to be somewhat eccentric if I so desire and I do desire to be so. Most of my family consider my going to hammock every night strange but then I just smile and continue with the best sleep in my many years. Most can't get past not sleeping with their mates but then ponder why they can't get a good nights sleep when one or the other or both snore and keep poking each other all night.

Getting more into lifestyle than why I stay here but they are intertwined. Just know that I love this place and the people that make up our hammock family.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    My Modded TW hammock
    Tarp
    Alpkit
    Insulation
    UK custom 75% UQ.
    Suspension
    Erm. . Custom.
    Initially; The knowledge pool. After just a short time here it becoms evident that there is a much more going on here - Its not just a place where you can receive, you can also, give. There is a community Spirit here that reminds me of one thought to be lost somewhere in a long gone history.

Has just sunk in what a stunning place it is to be a part of. So grateful to everyone for letting me in!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast