Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Dog odor coming from new top quilt?

NOT A COMPLAINT! : p LOL
    Please let me premise that I love these products. I now have a bottom and a top quilt from Hammock Gear. I don't have a lot of experience with down, so with that in mind, my question is mainly to satisfy my curiosity, not a complaint by any means.

I've had my new top quilt for a couple of weeks now, really enjoying the warm that it's providing. I've slept full time practically outside in my hammock since getting it. I noticed from the start a mild dog odor. Is down suppose to have that odor? I don't think my bottom quilt had that smell.

Almost a non-issue, since I've ordered some Nikwax down detergent from Amazon. I'll wash up both at the same time. The bottom quilt has seen a fair bit of use, so I'm sure it's time.

Anyway's like I said, just curious. Not by any means a negative review at all. Thanks.
    Charles

Quest Velomobile QB005

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Off the top of my head one of the issues with any natural product is how it is cleaned during processing. Cleaning too well can break down fibers while not cleaning enough can result in some residue that activates with moisture from the air like you seem to be getting. It may be you are getting goose rather than dog smell. That is unless your dog has been sneaking your quit. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Off the top of my head one of the issues with any natural product is how it is cleaned during processing. Cleaning too well can break down fibers while not cleaning enough can result in some residue that activates with moisture from the air like you seem to be getting. It may be you are getting goose rather than dog smell. That is unless your dog has been sneaking your quit. ;-)
    No, no dog, thankfully. Not much of dog owner anyways. : )) My initial impression was perhaps Stormcrow's dog (if they have one) snuggled with it, which I kinda chuckled thinking about it.
    Charles

Quest Velomobile QB005

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Yep, it's what down smells like, especially 900+ down which is very high quality. It's actually what ducks smell like, but I totally understand how that can get confused with a dog. Probably a wet dog in fact.
    I usually set mine out in the sun for a few hours after a trip to get out all the bad smells and I bet it would work for the down too.

Fronkey

Stormcrow doesn't have a dog.

And they now have a store-front. At least they did last year when I was down there. So those quilts are made in a seperate "place-of-business"

Man it is probably your funk from using it.
    Fresh air and sunlight will get a lot of the smell out. You can always wash it with down wash if it is too bad

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    That's one I've never heard before

Hammock
    Anything hanging in the living room
    You should smell the down-stuffing room when there's 100 lbs of it sitting there, especially when the girls have their little floor heater going. Smells like a herd of geese took a bath in a sauna. No way around it... That distinct odor is propriety geesey-smell! lol:

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole;DIY
    Insulation
    HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Dog odor coming from new top quilt?

My HG Incubator smelled the same way. Get outside and hang that sucker! Then it'll smell like the sweet outdoors. Sometimes I go in my gear closet just to get a whiff when I'm having a hankerin for some hammocking.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    Smells like a herd of geese took a bath in a sauna.
    ^^^^
    The visual of that almost made me spit out my coffee!
    Debi

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast