Hammock
    Enos Double Nest
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slings

Greetings from Kansas

Well I am a member of a catfishing website and a member was talking about hammocks and this page and I thought I would check it out. I always thought a hammock was just something you just relaxed in. I never thought about being able to use one to take camping and actually keep bug free and dry for the most part. I think this would be a great alternative to setting up my huge 3 room tent for short fishing trips by myself. My only problem is I dont know squat about what you guys are talking about when it comes to these things. Any advice or suggestions for a begginer. Im a big do it yourself type person since I dont have alot of money. So can some one point me in the right direction?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Noob in training
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopie
    Welcome to HF from NE, I also am new to hammocks and a catfish enthusiast. There are tuns of DIY forums on here that can help you save some money and lots of good DIY videos on youtube also. A youtube video by TheFlsurfer776 "How to make a hammock bugnet" is a good bugnet setup. As far as a good budget hammock EMO Eagles Nest and Grand Trunk aren't too bad in price and good brands. But I am sure with a little looking you can find a good deal. Welcome and good luck with your setup!

Hammock
    DIY cinched end
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    So far thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggle

Re: Greetings from Kansas

Welcome from Lawrence, Ks!

I would suggest watching Shug's videos on youtube and go from there. That's what I did and going out today to test my first DIY hammock.

http://m.youtube.com/#/user/shugemer...er%2Fshugemery
    "Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth." - Jules Verne

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: Greetings from Kansas

Bookmark this https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=51555

It will be a good place to start... Videos for everything and pictorials for the rest... Hammocks are simple to make... The easiest and fastest route is a table cloth from tableclothfactory.com... Order a taffeta blank and whip the ends and add suspension... For less than $30 your air born... Weighs about 20oz... Packs about the size of a 2.5 lb thing of peanut butter... Wonderfully comfortable...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Welcome to the forum; from Ohio.

Welcome to the forum.
    quick question -- how big are you?
    if you're under 6' and 250 pounds, go to Academy sports and pick up the Byer Moskito for $40 (or less) and see what you think -- it's a hammock with built in skeeter netting.
    This and a 10x12 poly tarp from harbor freight will be a cheap way to find out what you think of hammock camping.

there are also some BCUSA guys in wichita -- we're having a campout at Kingman lake in 3 weeks - and there may be a hammock or 2 setup there.

Hammock
    Enos Double Nest
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slings
    Well a little about myself so you guys can possibly point me in the right direction. Im 6ft about 270 pounds. The rig I want to build well be used primarily for camping while fishing so im not terribly worried about weight. I want a structual ridgeline so the bug net will stay out of my face and i can hang a light. The bug net seems simple enough basicly a type that pulls over the entire hammock with a draw string on the head side to pull tight to seal kind of like a big sock. A rain tarp is pretty straight forward more or less like a rain fly on a tent with shock cord to the stakes to keep tension so the tarp doesnt sag as it streches over night. My main concern is what to make the hammock out of since I am so heavy, plus when you tie the ends up what is it whipping do you just use 550 cord. My other concern is suspension, I was thinking about using rachet straps since they have such a high weight capacity. Im not one to shop online since i like to be able to see what im getting before i buy. So if anyone could point in the right direction as far a suspension componets i can buy around town that would be great. I am open to any and all help and suggestions thank you all. And to 1066vik i may try to come out ad check things out if time permits.

ratchet straps work plenty fine -- polyester ones stretch less than nylon, and generally cost less. I made my tree straps out of surplus 1.5" seatbelt webbing - you can find it pretty cheap at the Yard Store.
    do a site search for "tablecloth hammock" -- it's a nylon taffeta tablecloth that comes hemmed on all sides, costs less than $20, and there are several threads in the DIY section on how to make a hammock out of one. Not sure if Yard Store sells ripstop nylon or not -- if they do, you want something heavier than tent fabric but lighter than backpack fabric. 58-65" wide is a good range for your size (I'm 6'1" 265, and that's the width I'm comfortable in)

paracord will work for whipping, but braided decoy/bank line works just as well and costs less.

I have a 30' long piece of paracord that I use to hang my tarp -- and just recently picked up some mil-surp skeeter netting that I'm going to hang from it for this camping season.

Hammock
    Enos Double Nest
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slings
    I also have military surplus bug net left over from making my ghillie suit. I used it to create vent in my flight suit. And now that i sit here and think about it i have never been in the yard store lol. As for the rip stop nylon you were talking about what would i use that for, to make the hammock or use it for a rain tarp. Would a fabric store have nylon taffeta tablecloth or a comparable fabric. I guess im just a little confused on that part.
    Last edited by Dagger004; 03-31-2013 at 16:20.

ripstop for the hammock instead of the taffeta tablecloth -- if their price is low enough to offset shipping. fabric store will want too much $$, since a hammock takes 3 1/2 yards of 60" fabric and a tarp takes twice that.
    if you don't want to use a brown or silver poly tarp, there are companies that make nice ones out of urethane coated ripstop in the $60-80 range with plenty of tie-outs instead of grommets.

• + New Posts