Eno singlenest + mods
    Tarp
    Kelty 9' + Mods
    Insulation
    Marmot minimalist
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas
    Images

Smile DIY Budget lightweight sleeping bag + heat reflectors.

I'm sure some of you have tried using a car windshield heat reflector as a lightweight summer pad. Much like using any pad you run into problems with adjusting them while your on top of them, sliding around, etc.

There are many solutions to this problem. The knotty mid helped me keep all my gear in my hammock nicely, but still my pad kept moving around and adjusting it whilist I was on top was quite annoying.

Sewing it into my fleece mummy bag has been a great solution. It also seems to insulate slightly better. I added an extension at the bottom that wraps up over my feet creating a foot box. Also the bag seems to force the pad to wrap around my sides more eliminating the need to carry side pad extensions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    I have been using the windshield heat reflector and it works good. Until now I have been using a DIY gathered end hammock 11' and a Army bivy sack with a Army 30* bag. I put the reflector in the bivy outside the bag.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    DD 10'x10'
    Insulation
    SI mat, 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch buckl
    Quote Originally Posted by exxpedition View Post
    I'm sure some of you have tried using a car windshield heat reflector as a lightweight summer pad. Much like using any pad you run into problems with adjusting them while your on top of them, sliding around, etc.

There are many solutions to this problem. The knotty mid helped me keep all my gear in my hammock nicely, but still my pad kept moving around and adjusting it whilist I was on top was quite annoying.

Sewing it into my fleece mummy bag has been a great solution. It also seems to insulate slightly better. I added an extension at the bottom that wraps up over my feet creating a foot box. Also the bag seems to force the pad to wrap around my sides more eliminating the need to carry side pad extensions.
    That setup looks like a good idea. I was thinking of using velcro spots to keep the pad in place, but putting it inside the bag might be better. I wonder if it increases sweating at all?

I might try it when I get my setup (on order). The footbox idea is something I was thinking of too. I thought of getting a second reflector and sewing it or taping it into a tube that would slide over the sleeping bag on the outside. I guess there's lots of things to play around with....

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by goanywhere View Post
    That setup looks like a good idea. I was thinking of using velcro spots to keep the pad in place, but putting it inside the bag might be better. I wonder if it increases sweating at all?

I might try it when I get my setup (on order). The footbox idea is something I was thinking of too. I thought of getting a second reflector and sewing it or taping it into a tube that would slide over the sleeping bag on the outside. I guess there's lots of things to play around with....
    I think it would keep you from getting clammy like you could with the pad alone.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

• + New Posts