WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly & Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Hammock slipping

Two grandchildren got into my hammock with me Resurrection Sunday and the whoopee slipped taking the hammock to the ground. The whoopie would thereafter not hold with even just Beverly's weight. Is it because I did not bury the end long enough. She switched the suspension back to what came with the warbonnet (from the forum). It had two triangle rings though which the tree hugger went through. I may be using incorrect terms. Anyway, she put the black strap through both then back up through the top one. This held her for part of the night but at some point (or gradually) slipped to about 1/2 inch above the ground. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Bob and Bev

"The measure of a life is not its duration but its donation." Corrie Ten Boom

"Life is measured not by how many breaths you take but by how many moments take your breath away." attributed to a variety of different people

Hammock
    Diy 1.1 DL - Diy 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Diy Silnylon,
    Insulation
    SB con to UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    what angle were u at anf original how far off the ground were you

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly & Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    30 degrees with whoopee and about a foot and a half off the ground when in the hammock. Less angle with straps and about the same height.
    Bob and Bev

"Life is measured not by how many breaths you take but by how many moments take your breath away." attributed to a variety of different people

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Hammock slipping

How long is you whoopie bury and what line are you using for the slings?
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I don't know much about the whoopie bury having not done them myself yet, but the strap slipping sounds like you may have just passed the strap through the buckle without securing it with a knot.

The easiest one to use is a slipped half hitch -- tighten it against the buckle so it doesn't slide during the night (lift a bend up on one side of the strap, then pass a bend through it from the other side of the strap, and pull light -- you'll be able to untie it by just pulling the loose end). When you tie that knot, make sure it's fully tightened against the buckle, or it'll still have enough slack to drop a little when you first put weight in the hammock.

I'm available most weekends if y'all want to arrange a demo at Cedar Hill State Park Glad to see you're still improving!
    "Can't we all just live in trees and hammocks?"
    -- Sam Gribley, My Side of the Mountain

Hammock
    Diy 1.1 DL - Diy 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Diy Silnylon,
    Insulation
    SB con to UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Throkda View Post
    I don't know much about the whoopie bury having not done them myself yet, but the strap slipping sounds like you may have just passed the strap through the buckle without securing it with a knot.

The easiest one to use is a slipped half hitch -- tighten it against the buckle so it doesn't slide during the night (lift a bend up on one side of the strap, then pass a bend through it from the other side of the strap, and pull light -- you'll be able to untie it by just pulling the loose end). When you tie that knot, make sure it's fully tightened against the buckle, or it'll still have enough slack to drop a little when you first put weight in the hammock.

I'm available most weekends if y'all want to arrange a demo at Cedar Hill State Park Glad to see you're still improving!
    i cannot see it being the whoopies it is most likely as he says above just need to place a knot so no sliding

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly & Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    The bury was 6 inches and the straps were the ones that came with the hammock. I don't know enough to know if they were original. The whoppies never slipped before this with my ENO
    Bob and Bev

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly & Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    The whoopee definitely was slipping. So I switched suspension. Didn't make a knot with either type of suspension.
    Bob and Bev

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The adjustable bury should be a bit longer, closer to 8 inches. The 6 inch bury woould hold but may be unreliable. Remember to milk the bury after every adjustment.

A back up hitch is not needed witht he Warbonnet cinch buckles in mine and others' experience. Maybe it was not quite cinched tight before loading it. Are the WB buckles and amsteel still the way theu came? Is the Amsteel loop running through both triangles. Some people redo the loop and girth hitch the loop around the buckles instead of having the buckles in the continuous loop which can cause problems as well.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Yep, you'll want a knot with the straps -- they do eventually slide through the cinch buckle under load. (As demonstrated by Shug, here)

I never used a knot with whoopies -- without looking at it, I don't think I could make a solid guess as to why they would slip, just two vague ones that may or may not be helpful.

I know for some splices, there's a bit of sewing involved to hold the cord in place, but I don't think that's a factor with whoopies.

I remember the whoopies were difficult to move when the bury was stretched all the way out -- you had to scrunch it up a bit to adjust the length...maybe they were still "scrunched," so the tension holding the bury in place wasn't as strong?
    "Can't we all just live in trees and hammocks?"
    -- Sam Gribley, My Side of the Mountain

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast