Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Hammock slipping

The slippage was due to the short 6" bury, as others have pointed out. While whoopies are my favorite suspension, there are many ways to hang a hammock. That's part of what makes this hobby so fun.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly & Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Trial after suggestions- still trouble

Thank you all for the suggestions. I guess the bury was not deep enough. Though not quite as active as Shrug, I was juggling grandchildren just before the whoppies slipped. The one whoppie just would not hold again no matter how well milked it was. We will remake them. Can we remake them using the same armsteel or should be give it up with those?

When we went to just the straps and buckle cinches and the hammock gradually went to the ground, I still don't know. I tried a knot at the top of the buckles but again was on the ground half way through the night. The trees are a little further apart than most. The only two trees in my small back yard. They are more like 20 feet apart. Throkda has seen the black straps we use. They were sold as tested to 250 lbs. Could they be stretching that much? It seems incredible.

It was a beautiful night in Dallas to sleep out.
    Bob and Bev

"The measure of a life is not its duration but its donation." Corrie Ten Boom

"Life is measured not by how many breaths you take but by how many moments take your breath away." attributed to a variety of different people

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Hammock slipping

The hammock straps we use are 100% polyester (others stretch like crazy) and are tested to over 1000 pounds (many use 1500 lb test.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    12' diy hammock
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    warmth
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wanna Bs View Post
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I guess the bury was not deep enough. Though not quite as active as Shrug, I was juggling grandchildren just before the whoppies slipped. The one whoppie just would not hold again no matter how well milked it was. We will remake them. Can we remake them using the same armsteel or should be give it up with those?

When we went to just the straps and buckle cinches and the hammock gradually went to the ground, I still don't know. I tried a knot at the top of the buckles but again was on the ground half way through the night. The trees are a little further apart than most. The only two trees in my small back yard. They are more like 20 feet apart. Throkda has seen the black straps we use. They were sold as tested to 250 lbs. Could they be stretching that much? It seems incredible.

It was a beautiful night in Dallas to sleep out.
    the whoopies should be easy to adjust the bury length. if you can undo the bury on the end that comes out of the bury or just cut it off. then you pull the free end through the bury and redo the bury to a longer length.

if the webbing is nylon then they can stretch a lot.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If you're talking about Warbonnet's original straps: no way they would stretch that much.

I already said so: you probably threaded the straps incorrectly through the cinch buckles. I can't explain it, but take the strap out of the cinch buckles, and thread it back in, but with the strap coming from the other side. This is what I did, and it dealt with the slippage. Threaded right, the buckles won't budge an inch. Maybe look at the photo Shug posted, and do it exactly that way.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    The trees are a little further apart than most. The only two trees in my small back yard. They are more like 20 feet apart. Throkda has seen the black straps we use. They were sold as tested to 250 lbs. Could they be stretching that much? It seems incredible.
    Hopefully the suggestions from others about the whoopies work out. I remember the straps were just common tie-down straps -- they worked okay at the group hang, but over time and use, I'd figure they would stretch more and more.

There's a good chance the culprit is the distance between your trees. If the trees are further apart, gravity will stretch the suspension down more easily. According to Dejoha's Hammock Hang Calculator, so 20 feet, you're going to want the suspension anchors at least 6.3 feet up the tree. I had that same issue just this last weekend, in which I reached up as high as I could on both trees to hang my hammock.
    "Can't we all just live in trees and hammocks?"
    -- Sam Gribley, My Side of the Mountain

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I normally bury mine 12" to 13" on 7/64. I've had 400lbs in the hammock with no slipping,,, ever...

Hammock
    HHED
    Tarp
    stock
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    stock
    Hmmm...I just bought and installed on my HH Asym Exp Deluxe a couple of 'slings from Amazon (OneLife Wilderness) and they only have 6" bury. I may have to alter them a bit for a longer bury. It strung the hammock up in the back yard and had a seat. They held but stretched a bit the first time. After tightening up they seemed to stay in place.
    Roy "RaginRabbi"
    KING COUNTY 4x4 SEARCH AND RESCUE
    "Always prepared...so others may live"
    Hennessy Hammock Aysm Explorer Deluxe (Whoopie Sling conversion)
    2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab nismo 4x4 SAR Beast and Hammock Support Structure.

Hammock
    grand trunk skeeter beeter pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    home made UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    think I may have solved the strap mystery.
    with the distance between the trees being 20 feet apart lets say your hammock takes up about 10ft which leaves 10ft feet of strap ! This exerp is taken from a tie down mfr website:
    http://www.agmcontainer.com/tie_down...owns_faqs.html

How much will the strap stretch?
    This is largely determined by the test method used to evaluate the stretch. In general, nylon webbing will stretch between 20% and 30% and polyester webbing will stretch between 15% and 25%. These are general figures and depend not only on the test method but also on the environment: temperature, humidity, age, and other adverse conditions. Please contact AGM's Engineering Department to inquire about your specific application.

so doing the math 10 feet of webbing could equal from 2 to 3 feet of extra sag for nylon and 1.5 to 2.5 feet for polyester. seems like you would have to hang your hammock pretty high to begin with, to avoid ending up on the ground.
    hope this helps

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123