Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Foot View Post
    Hertline campsite - good water and a nice picnic table ... you'll enjoy the hike up (keyword here is up) out of Lehigh Gap ... the pinnacle is an excellent place to hang and watch the sunrise if you get a chance
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    the pinnacle is a Must Hang for sure .... the view is fantastic
    Thanks! I had tentatively marked a short 8-mile day out of Port Clinton to Pulpit Rock or so, but now think I'll hike the 12 miles to the Pinnacle and hang there for the night. Would not have known if you guys had not told me.

Good to know about Hertline. I tentatively plan a night at 501 (another meal I don't have to carry if I order pizza there), but might stop at Hertline for an early lunch and to get water.

I've got photos of my daughter's climb out of Lehigh Gap! I think I'll be glad I did most of NH last August, once I get to that PA climb.

What about water or campsite out of Lehigh Gap? I plan to allow for a zero day in Palmerton, so possibly will do that climb early morning and hope to camp at about 12 miles.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Sounds like a good hike. I have done the Swatara to Eagles Nest shelter section and the long loop to the pinnacle (officially you are not allowed to camp at the pinnacle, but there are a few rogue sites there, the first official site North bound is not too far though).

I am taking my scout troop on an overnight starting at 501 and camping at Hertlein and heading out to 183 the next morning on the 13th and 14th.

As I recall there is a spring just as you start out up from Swatara Gap, at the William Penn Shelter, at 501 shelter, at Hertlein, just before 183 (near the fort monument), a few miles after 183 and at Eagles Nest.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    Dutch's prototypes
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    All Dutchware
    Let me know what night you'll be in Port Clinton, I might be able to swing by for a beer.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by biggcarl View Post
    Let me know what night you'll be in Port Clinton, I might be able to swing by for a beer.
    My tentative schedule puts us there in Port Clinton on Tuesday night. Would love to have you come join me/us!

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    Dutchware tarp
    Insulation
    HG phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    wish i could join you ... but i'm not getting out till the weekend after you finish up
    be ready for Rocks,Rocks,Rocks .. and More Rocks LOL
    coming up out of the Gap can kick your butt but once your up it's not too bad but it is rocky the first 5-6 miles ... but from about a mile from william penn till about 2.5-3 miles after it's easy hiking
    then you will run into more rocks
    501 shelter is really cool so make sure you check it out... also the william penn has a loft too
    you can order pizza at the 501 if you don't feel like cooking
    if i remember there is a campsite in between 501 and 183 ... it should be on the map but i never stayed there so i can't really tell you much about it
    from 183 it's easy hiking again .. some rocks but not too bad
    be careful coming in to Port Clinton ... it is steep and rocky
    then you will go up another Mnt LOL ... pretty much like that till you hit the delaware water gap LOL .. if you get a chance and want a side trip Hawk Mnt is nice
    and the food in port clinton is good (i live 10 min away)
    Have fun and be safe
    Rocksylvania...take pictures of your boots before and after...
    Peggy & Russ --The Jerzybears -

I do not read advertisements. I would spend all of my time wanting things.
    -Franz Kafka

Hammock
    Tinkr Custom, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    EE RevX, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware, Trees
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    What about water or campsite out of Lehigh Gap? I plan to allow for a zero day in Palmerton, so possibly will do that climb early morning and hope to camp at about 12 miles.

Rain Man

There is reliable water from a piped spring at the George Outerbridge Shelter which is located as you start down into the Lehigh Gap. You can also stop at the Lehigh Gap Nature Center - if it's open they have a bathroom and water as well as a porch with rocking chairs for a break and also a soda machine - very hiker friendly to us when we stopped there.

Coming out of the Lehigh Gap (distances are from the Lehigh River):

Leroy Smith ~ 16.0 miles - water down the hill from a spring not great and a fair walk down and then back up hill from the shelter

Wind Gap (PA 33) ~ 21.0 miles motel near the AT sells sodas, ice cream etc. - they also let us fill our water from their tap

Kirkridge Shelter ~ 30 miles - no spring but a tap at the religious retreat center right near there. The spigot was turned off last year early in the year but people at the retreat center gave us water (and cookies)

Delaware Water Gap ~ 36 miles - nice spot to eat there offers a hot dog and a slice of homemade apple pie for $2 or 3

In general you just need to be mindful of the water and make sure you have enough. Generally this is a ridge walk so when there are springs they tend to be down off the ridge - which is just a pain in the butt when you are tired. This is a much bigger problem for the thru hikers because the bulk of them are in this section in late June - early July and if the weather is dry some of the springs get unreliable.

Also to GLPs excellent advice concerning rocks - just a bother really because you have to be watching where your putting your feet constantly but I would advise to adjust your expected milage accordingly as it will tend to slow you down a little bit. The good news is that except for coming in and out of the gaps there is little elevation gain/loss while your on the ridge. Where you do have come in and out of the gaps the change tends to be moderate ~ 1500 ft.

Hope this helps and looking forward to the trip report.
    see you on the trail,
    Mike

#optoutside

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Exclamation My tentative itinerary - still open to suggestions

Thanks to ALL who replied with trail and food info, etc!!! Also, I have two or three now who want to hike some portion with me, and others who simply want to meet. What a great place Hammock Forums is!

Here is my TENTATIVE itinerary. Comments and suggestions still welcome! I leave tomorrow and still have many loose ends to finish, not the least of which is my first-ever DIY Under Quilt, which is drying in the sun as I type. I wet the down to put it in the baffles by hand, so it wouldn't fly all over. Learned how hard it is to get down to absorb water!!!

PA Swatara Gap to Delaware Water Gap; April 6-17, 2013; on the A.T.

ITINERARY (subject to change):

Sat 4/6 - drive from Nashville, TN to Shenandoah National Park, drop off hikers and then drive up to Iceman's home in Lancaster, PA, arrive around midnight.

Sun 4/7 - Iceman keeps my vehicle and drives me to Swatara Gap, where I meet G.Hawk (aka Distracted By Stone). We hike 11.4 miles to 501 Shelter. To meet G.L.P. and perhaps Dutch and others there.

Mon 4/8 - 15.5 miles to Eagles Nest Shelter (or alternative of 12.2 miles (more or less) and camp along the trail somewhere)

Tue 4/9 - 9.0 miles to Port Clinton (or the alternative would be 12.2 miles to Port Clinton)

Wed 4/10 - 9.5 miles to The Pinnacle and camp out. Meet One Sock somewhere along from Wed to Sat?

Thur 4/11 - 12.7 miles to Allentown Hiking Club Shelter

Fri 4/12 - 10.0 miles to Bake Oven Knob Shelter

Sat 4/13 - 8.0 mile to Leghigh Gap/Palmerton (spend night in jail?!) Meet Jolly Green?

Sun 4/14 - 15.5 miles to Leroy A. Smith Shelter (or alternative of 9.5 miles to an "overlook" said to be great place to camp - have to haul water)

Mon 4/15 - 13.8 miles to Kirkridge Shelter (or alternative would be 17.6 to campsite)

Tue 4/16 - 6.7 miles to Delaware Water Gap (or alternative would be 10.1 miles to DWG) Meet Iceman and/or my car will be there?

111.7 total miles (some days have obvious alternatives; I noted two of them)

Tuesday - drive down to Harpers Ferry and spend night with my SNP hikers.
    Wednesday - drive home to Nashville.

Have I left anyone out?

I'll be checking in later today and then from the trail via my smartphone. Shoot me a message and/or cell number if anyone would like to reach me after late tonight.

Rain Man

Hammock
    Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies
    I hiked with Rain Man sun.april7-tue.april9 on the AT in PA, Swatara to Port Clinton.
    A wonderful hiking partner; one might say : almost perfect. Very encouraging with positive energy.

He is photoman and has numerous pictures / images; expect he will post upon his return.
    He gets off the trail Tues April16.
    Here are some images of him.

It was my experiment to see how many miles I could hike per day.
    Rain Man HHOH and schedule; I would show up at the end of the day.
    Pushed myself hard, harder than if alone and that was the point.
    Second Half / Guy joined us for 2 days. Another fine hiking partner.

How many miles was I capable of ? 12 hard Rocksylvania miles; 14 hard miles ( with few gravel road alternative miles );
    9 rocky miles. It was wonderful.
    Did not have time to be distracted by stone or other forms of nature. That is for another time.

G

Rain Man at Swatara Creek / Rain Man doing his photo thing / Guy and Rain Man / Guy and Rain Man's hats in the dark at Eagles Nest shelter
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by G...Hawk; 04-15-2013 at 18:15.
    trailname : Distracted By Stone

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by G...Hawk View Post
    How many miles was I capable of ? 12 hard Rocksylvania miles; 14 hard miles ( with few gravel road alternative miles );
    9 rocky miles. It was wonderful.
    Yes, it was wonderful, G...Hawk! And so were you. And you sure hike with some handsome men!!!

Rain Man

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Have not had time to start on the photo album yet, but did summarize my daily start/stop points, which were:

Day 1, Sun, 4-7 - 11.4 miles from Swatara Gap to 501 Shelter
    Day 2, Mon, 4-8 - 15.1 miles to Eagles Nest Shelter
    Day 3, Tue, 4-9 - 9.0 miles to Port Clinton Hotel
    Day 4, Wed, 4-10 - 14.8 miles to Eckville Shelter
    Day 5, Thu, 4-11 - 11.5 miles to Blue Mtn Summit Restaurant and B&B
    Day 6, Fri, 4-12 - 13.9 miles to the Palmerton "Jail"
    Day 7, Sat, 4-13 - 8.3 miles to powerline/overlook/campsite
    Day 8, Sun, 4-14 - 14.1 miles (more or less) to a campsite along trail north of Wind Gap
    Day 9, Mon, 4-15 - 13.6 miles (more or less) to Delaware Water Gap/PA-NJ State Line
    111.7 miles total trail miles

The first three days I hiked with G...Hawk and Second Half, WONDERFUL folks. The middle three days I hiked alone. The last three days I hiked with Rocketsocks (formerly One Sock), also a GREAT hiking companion.

I hung about half the time and used the brand new DIY UQ that I finished the night before the trip. Thanks to G.L.P. for coming out to 501 Shelter. He "tuned" the UQ for me as I lay in the hammock. That was a great help!

At DWG, Rocketsocks and I visited the Edge of the Woods Outfitter and ate DELICIOUS chicken pot pie at a local spot. Then I showered at the Presbyterian Church of the Mountain and changed into clean, dry clothes and drove to Washington, DC to visit my oldest daughter and her hubby to see their new home, arriving after midnight. Next morning, I drove to Harpers Ferry and was there at the Shenandoah River bridge when my other hiking party of 3 guys walked out of the West Virginia woods. This was actually their trip to finish the SNP and hike to HF. I merely tagged along to springboard up to finish PA. We spent the rest of the day in HF on R&R, spent the night at the Town's Inn (where my wife and I stayed last year when I hiked Maryland) and drove home to Nashville the next day (yesterday).

Today I napped a lot! LOL

I can't forget to thank Iceman, aka "Angle" on WB, and his lovely wife, Barb, for allowing me to stay in their home in Lancaster before the hike and shuttling me and G.Hawk to Swatara Gap and then my vehicle to DWG on Sunday. HFers and WBers are the best!!!

Rain Man

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast