Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    two more "knots" that get mentioned around here a lot:

Marlin spike hitch and larkshead knot.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    When commenting first time, I forgot to point out the most important knot of all (well, to me at least): it seems in English it's called the jar sling or jug sling (in Swedish it's known as "the English sack knot").

Why so important? When in the Navy, I lerned this knot, and the officer who taught us how to tie it pointed out with not a little enthusiasm that you can carry up to thirteen bottles of beer with it - one in each little loop that is formed! Something I have verified by rather extensive empirical studies myself...

Ok, I know that that may be less than essential for most campers, but it is actually also a good knot for its intended purpose: to close up a sack, or around anything you need to carry, as it constricts well and holds, and the end loop is a perfect handle. So you can drag a log with it for example, for firewood. A little difficult to get right perhaps, but if you need to carry beer, you need to carry beer!

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Under/top quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    But, if you say they are the same, tie a loop in the end of a rope using a Sheetbend and load it like you would a Bowline and see if it fails; on video.
    Prove me wrong that you can use a Sheetbend instead of a Bowline to form a loop in the end, or mid-span for that matter, of a rope without it failing.

Basic knot work is knowing which knot for which work and a Sheetbend cannot replace a Bowline...
    I stand corrected, although I lack the requisite technological skills to display. Rat is absolutely right.
    I had failed to look at a situation from both sides. While you can use the same method of tying a bowline to tie a sheet bend ( i.e make a hole, rabbit out of the hole around the tree etc,) it imperative that you make sure that both bitter ends end up on the same side of your sheet bend. (Which works for me because I don't tie Lefthanded or "Cowboy" bowlines as a matter of course like Rat does.)

However you can NOT tie a Bowline the same way as a sheet bend. As Rat correctly stated it would result in the only available working strand forcing you to cross load the knot in a way that is not safe.

So although the structure of the knot is very similar, especially in their release point when loaded tightly, they are not the same knot.

My name is Chad and I am not Smarter than The Rat

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by K0m4 View Post
    When commenting first time, I forgot to point out the most important knot of all (well, to me at least): it seems in English it's called the jar sling or jug sling (in Swedish it's known as "the English sack knot").

Why so important? When in the Navy, I lerned this knot, and the officer who taught us how to tie it pointed out with not a little enthusiasm that you can carry up to thirteen bottles of beer with it - one in each little loop that is formed! Something I have verified by rather extensive empirical studies myself...

Ok, I know that that may be less than essential for most campers, but it is actually also a good knot for its intended purpose: to close up a sack, or around anything you need to carry, as it constricts well and holds, and the end loop is a perfect handle. So you can drag a log with it for example, for firewood. A little difficult to get right perhaps, but if you need to carry beer, you need to carry beer!
    This is also a very good knot to know by those who reuse plastic water bottles. This knot can be tied around the neck below the cap flange for a secure hold; no need for a bottle holder, very light and can be made from common, easy to find materials.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wideguy View Post
    ...you can NOT tie a Bowline the same way as a sheet bend. As Rat correctly stated it would result in the only available working strand forcing you to cross load the knot in a way that is not safe.

So although the structure of the knot is very similar, especially in their release point when loaded tightly, they are not the same knot.

My name is Chad and I am not Smarter than The Rat
    That may be taking it a little far, I might have known more about this topic; but now we are even again! And that is the stated goal of these articles; to pass along information so others can learn. A good, honest, open, friendly debate usually furthers that agenda; just one of the many reasons I like Hammock Forums. Most other forums this would have turned ugly and personal long ago!

Carry on Knot Heads!
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    HH + DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    10'x10' DPM Basha
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    here are the knots that i use most of the time

- the Angler's loop ABOK #1017
    - the blood knot to join two ropes ABOK #1413
    - the blake hitch
    - the constrictor knot ABOK #1249
    - the diamond knot ABOK #784
    and as K0m4, the "jar sling knot" ABOK #1142

Hammock
    JRB BMBH UL
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB TQ& UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Dutchware
    I'm a fan of the unmentioned Carrick Bend, we use it constantly on the crab boat. Very easy to add length and it's very easy to break (UNTIE). I'm liking this thread!

Hammock
    GTUL - 1st hammock
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Insulation
    Bag & Pad
    Suspension
    straps & whoopies
    That is some great info, thanks! I believe I might get a cheat sheet together and laminate it to take with me on trips so I don't forget something that could otherwise save a lot of time. I've got a good knowledge of knots...but am learning always! Thanks again!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Learned about the canadian jam knot about a year ago. Been using it off and on for compression and also for lashing stands , lean-to etc. Might be one for everyone to consider.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Farrimond Friction Hitch - simply a briliant knot, look it up.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast