Cord-Lock selection

Hello all

I came up with what I think will be my final design for the suspension in my underquilt, and am looking to you seasoned DIYers for some advice on what type of cord-lock to use for my application.

I want to create something similar to the new secondary suspension on HammockGear's underquilts, however what I want to do is rather than running the shock cord all the way to the end of my hammock and having it adjust at the bottom, running a secondary line from the UQ to a cordlock on the main suspension line with a knot or bead on the end so I can slide the adjustment up and down the main suspension line to keep the UQ from scrunching up on me.

UQ Suspension.jpg

I've thought about it a bit and cant seem to decide what toggle will work best for this... whether I get one that will fit both cords through one hole, or get the kind that has 2 holes, or maybe something really cool that I haven't even heard or thought of.

My main requirements (from my own assumptions) are that
    1. The cordlock needs to have a really good spring/grip so that it wont slide on me in the middle of the night.
    2. The ability to accommodate possibly 2 different types of cord. (I've been considering using some amsteel or lighter weight cord that I can bead and burry the end of rather than tying a knot to act as a stopper to keep the cord from pulling through... maybe that's a bad idea and I should stick with shock cord?)
    3. Maintain relatively light weight (now I know cordlocks dont weigh much, but there will be one on each corner and I'd like to keep it as light as possible)
    4. Still be easy to adjust while laying in the hammock.
    Last edited by Hammonkey; 04-01-2013 at 21:33. Reason: Picture's worth 1000 words.

• + New Posts