My DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling

Going to Ellicot Rock with my son's troop

Well, my son will be going on his first backpacking trip as a Boy Scout. So as a proud dad and virgin hanger I will be hanging on this trip as well. From what I am able to get, everyone will be in a tent so this would be a great opportunity to see if I pass the test as a hanger or not.

Currently I have one of the old school military hammocks made from netting, but will soon replace with my homegrown version. Since I don't have bug netting and a tarp I will be making both prior to our trip.

I hope to take plenty of pics so we'll see in a couple of weeks.
    Psalm 46:10

Just want to say don't get discouraged if you have a bad experience with the net hammock. Long term hanging and weight can cause some serious discomfort in those things. I'm not saying you will have a bad experience, but if you do try to evaluate what the cause of the "BAD" part is before you completely write off hammock camping.

I guess what I'm not stating very eloquently is: Try a non-net hammock before you completely write of hammock camping. There is a world of difference between having hundreds of little holes under you slowly cutting you up like a shrink wrapped country ham in a net, and a solid sheet of fabric.

As to a tarp you can always buy a cheap one from wally-world and hang it in diamond formation to keep the rain off. I'm a firm believer in trying things out before taking the financial plunge.

Take for instance underquilts. I don't want to spend the coin-age on the materials if I'm going to DIY, or on a vendors product until I'm sure I'll sleep comfortably with one. So to try out if an underquilt is going to be the way to go I took one of my two 30% sleeping bags and used some rope to tie it up like an underquilt. My first attempt was not 100% successful in my opinion, because the head end of the bag slipped out of the suspension I rigged up and left a big opening for air to move in. I still slept comfortably until around 6:00 am when I noticed my shoulder area, and lower back area had cold spots. Oh well I needed to answer the call of nature at that point anyway so up I go.

Currently I want to try this out again . . . so for my second attempt, which will be this week (April 4-6), I have purchased some of those tarp clips to convert my sleeping bag into an underquilt. I hope this way it won't fall open like it did last time. And based on my experience with my previous attempt, and the results of this upcoming trip I might be taking that financial plunge for a DIY underquilt.

Here's to having fun in the piney-woods swinging in your sleep.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    When is the trip? There is a group of HF members heading that way this weekend. I was going to go, but I have to help out with a wedding. Maybe you could hook up with them and take a look at some of their set ups to get some hands-on experience.

You can upgrade the comfort of your military hammock with a nice cheap foam pad from Walmart. It should keep you amply warm and be something easy to get your hands on.

If you want to try a DIY hammock, you can borrow one of my kits. I'm not sure your height/weight, but my gear is suited best for someone under 175# and around 5'7". PM me if interested.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    HammockBliss no see um
    Suspension
    home made webbing
    Images
    I saw a cloth Travel Hammock at Walmart for $15 on sale the other day. Here is the link of the one i saw:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equip-Trav...-Blue/23889034

Hammock
    My DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling

Smile

Great advice guys! Scoffman, I definitely know that hanging is the way to go and believe me I'm not easily discouraged. Funny thing is that I'm a project freak and I love to build and design things so before I jump on a new project the Mrs has told me that I can't start a new project until taxes are done..

So, for right now I'll hang like in my zero degree bag with some plastic as my fly. The only thing is that I need to get some NoSeeUm so I can try and whip up a bug net before next weekend.

Fire, the trip is the 13th and if I see anyone is a hammock I will definitely approach them and say Hi!

Thanks Terry, that looks like an awesome option and may actually get a couple for my boys since they seem to be drawn to my hammock whenever I set it up.
    Psalm 46:10

• + New Posts