Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
    I live close to Chattahoochee Bend and took a look at the platform sites a couple of weeks ago. Give the DNR an 'A' for effort but a B- or a C for research and implementation. They've used 4x4 posts 15 feet apart...and the posts extend inly about 5 feet above the platform deck. Each post has an eye-bolt so it appears that they were thinking something like an ENO hook-up (even then they blew it). Swankfly talked to the on-site ranger who said the poles were for tieing out non-free standing tents. Fortunately, the platform sites are in out of the way locations and there are plenty of trees...
    Yep, those are definitely not hammock stands. I tried with my WBBB, they are only about 4' high, I strung it tighter than normal, got in and was sitting on the deck. Fortunately, there was a tree directly behind one of the post about 18". I moved the foot end here, strung it up to about 6' got in, still on the deck. I went to car, grabbed 50' of rope and tied off the opposing 4x4 to a tree about 25' directly behind it, problem solved, but I was still less than a foot off the deck, way lower than I would normally hang. The host/rangers never came back to the campsite the whole time I was there and I was the only one in that section. Probably less than 12 in the whole park.

I went to the office the next morning to clarify the purpose of the posts. That's where I got the tent info.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zooshooter View Post
    I have to agree with you. I read through all of the camping type designations and hammocks would actually explicitly fit under the "primitive camp" site description:

"Primitive Camp - any camp using a shelter
    carried to a site via bicycle, canoe,horse or on the
    back of a camping member."

I suppose you could call ahead to the specific place you intent to camp and try to make your case, but you'd still have to find and reserve a designated camp site that had trees on it.

"Section 130.10 Location
    Camping will be permitted only in established
    campgrounds or designated areas. Camping is
    prohibited in any other area."

From what I recall, these are pretty much non-existant on DNR properties that are used for camping.
    tdk and zs - look at post#52 of this thread for a chapter and verse analysis of ILDNR Regs. I agree completely with your analysis.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    DL Streamliner
    Tarp
    Toxaway w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB or HG UQs
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images

ya

Quote Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
    I think they mean a hammock with a stand...
    Therein lies the facetious part... its still a huge oxymoron. Somehow I doubt they're thinking of turtle lady stands, and handy hammock setups. I just find the use of the term silly to look at, and ridiculous to have been considered in actual regulation.
    "haamoocker" - its my Ikea name

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Therein lies the facetious part... its still a huge oxymoron. Somehow I doubt they're thinking of turtle lady stands, and handy hammock setups. I just find the use of the term silly to look at, and ridiculous to have been considered in actual regulation.
    It is helpful to try and look at the issue from the perspective of people who are asked to manage the state parks. What many HF members generally think of as camping, is often referred to in park management lingo as "primitive" or "backwoods" camping.

The state parks management folks see a LOT of RV, truck, van and car campers. In fact, the vast majority of campers in state parks drive up to the campsite. Setting up a backyard syle hammock on a heavy metal or wooden stand is not necessarily out of the question. Most of us here just don't think in terms of bringing the patio funriture and satelite dish camping, but a lot of folks do.

I don't think of that as camping, but it is. And accepting that style falls within HYOH.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Rev; anyway you can add the https://www.google.com/fusiontables/...Vap8#rows:id=1 to your first post so people see it right off rather than digging pages in; or ask a moderator to add it in.

I am very surprised that this has not been made sticky yet??

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    None... baby steps
    Suspension
    Kammok Python
    I'm a bit surprised at the number of states that have not replied, given that this thread was started in May and it is now September...
    -Domo
    "No man can stand alone in a primeval forest, untouched by the hand of man, and not realize that there is more in us than the mere breath of our bodies."

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DomoTVA View Post
    I'm a bit surprised at the number of states that have not replied, given that this thread was started in May and it is now September...
    I got a reply from ca state parks, but I think they misunderstood the question.
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HG CF3
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Custom SRL/Whoopie
    Has Oregon ever commented on whether it is allowed? I am planning a trip there in a couple weeks and wasn't sure if I should pack my hammock or my tent.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pad/Reflectix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I can't comment on an "official" status - but have recently stayed a couple of times at Oregon's Milo McGiver State Park, including just this last weekend. It was in a group camp area and the troop had several Hammocks up each time. The Park Ranger came by at each visit and actually commented about how "cool" they looked.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pad/Reflectix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I talked with Mark Shaw, the Park Ranger at Oregon's Milo McGiver State Park this morning . He said that there was not a state-wide policy regarding hammocks in Oregon State Parks. He also reiterated that hammocks were absolutely welcome at Milo McGiver. His advice on other Oregon State parks was to call the specific park in question and ask before visiting. He did think that most, if not all, would be open about it due to Oregon's view of natural resources and that hammock camping fit well with that due to the low environmental impact. HTH.

Bonus- he mentioned that "clubs" wanting to use the park can get their reservation fees waived. So perhaps this would be a potential site for a future Oregon meet up?