Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I hope you don't mind me adding a Canadian contingent to this thread (great idea Rev).
    I e-mailed Ontario Parks in January about this as well. Here was their reply.

Thanks for your email – it certainly did cause a great deal of discussion and deliberation here between main office operational staff.

We have to follow policy regulations which are that only 3 tent structures are allowed on the designated campsite at one time. The reason for restricting the site to 3 sleeping structures is so that we can preserve the areas around the campsite. The area around the campsite (mostly where you would find trees and other shrubbery) is considered a buffer area where camping or structures are not allowed.

In other words if the tree that you attach your hammock tent to is in this buffer area, you cannot attach it to that. If you can find a campsite that has trees within the campsite area, you may use these trees to tie your hammock tent to.

Does this make sense – we hope so.

Regards,

Ontario Parks

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Thank you for starting this project. I think you are going to make some beauracrats sleepless, thinking about how this sort of movement might affect their career!

I recently had a minor disagreement with a BLM Park Host, he did not like,me,my Medical Alert Dog, our hammocks or two females camping.

The guy was creepy, he spied on us. I have photo's to prove he was watching us.

I reminded him of the Federal Laws regarding Medical Alert animals, also that I would be having a discussion with his supiorer.

With your information I will have a little more power.

Again thank you.

Hammock
    Ticket to the Moon Double
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 11.5x14
    Insulation
    3/4 DIY UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS Whoopie kit
    Quote Originally Posted by NWOHanger View Post
    I hope you don't mind me adding a Canadian contingent to this thread (great idea Rev).
    I e-mailed Ontario Parks in January about this as well. Here was their reply.

Thanks for your email – it certainly did cause a great deal of discussion and deliberation here between main office operational staff.

We have to follow policy regulations which are that only 3 tent structures are allowed on the designated campsite at one time. The reason for restricting the site to 3 sleeping structures is so that we can preserve the areas around the campsite. The area around the campsite (mostly where you would find trees and other shrubbery) is considered a buffer area where camping or structures are not allowed.

In other words if the tree that you attach your hammock tent to is in this buffer area, you cannot attach it to that. If you can find a campsite that has trees within the campsite area, you may use these trees to tie your hammock tent to.

Does this make sense – we hope so.

Regards,

Ontario Parks
    Was this only the Ontario parks or some sort of National parks Dept? I'm not familiar with any of the Canadian park systems and am not sure how to label it.
    Last edited by FBG; 04-06-2013 at 00:43.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
    George S. Patton

The 50 State Project: Thread
    The 50 State Project: Table

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    It was strictly for Ontario Provincial Parks. National Parks are their own area. I can't think of one anywhere near me, so they aren't really a concern.

Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images
    FBG, thank you for the time and effort on that spread sheet, well done.
    My ego said, SURE you can.
    Half way in my body said OH NO YOU CAN'T

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My YouTube

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by FBG View Post
    50 State Project: US State Parks & Hammocks Database

The only draw back to the table is you have to be added as an editor to make changes. Any editor can make changes and add additional editors. So if anyone would like to be added as an editor just let me know.
    It'd be nice to get this to be a sticky somewhere.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Nice work REV.
    I can say Michigan park rangers do not have a problem with hammocks, in my experience.
    We actually had a few of them stop for a long detailed tour of our rigs at the January Michigan Group Hang in Ludington, MI.
    Awesome project. I cant wait to see what the rest of the states have to say.

And I am excited to see that there is a Michigan Group Hand not to far from me at a nice park!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Here's my spin on all of this. Thanks for the information, but I don't see NY anywhere.

Don't ask, Don't tell.
    Stealth
    How can you be found if no one knows where you are?
    It's better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.
    If you're traveling with a large group, then I guess you have to ask. They make more noise. It's also harder to hide more than three people.
    Get off the trail or path as far as you can go and get out at first light.
    Stay away from state and public campgrounds. They are over crowded and noisy in the warm months. Then you do have to ask permission.
    Pick up your water and just keep going as it's getting dark
    Remember, you have a hammock and can go almost anywhere, even if you have to go to ground on occasion.
    This is not a full definitive list, but it sure beats checking around too much.

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Re: The 50 State Project: US State Parks & Hammocks

Quote Originally Posted by Latitude918 View Post
    It'd be nice to get this to be a sticky somewhere.
    +1 on this.

A STICKY indeed! This is a great source of ongoing information.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WBSF, MacCat STD
    Insulation
    PLUQ w/Thermarest
    Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post
    This is a great email I just got. If anyone is in this state and hammock's, please use the contact info at the bottom to send in some pictures!

Hello David,
    Thanks for writing to us! Using a hammock instead of a tent is a great idea. We certainly welcome hammocks in our Vermont State Parks. There are no restrictions against their use. The only rule we have which might apply is that damaging trees is prohibited, however securing a hammock as you describe would not hurt the tree.

If you come across any, we would love some photos of hammock use in Vermont parks so we can help promote this fun way to camp (or nap).

Thanks again!
    Nate McKeen
    Chief of Park Operations
    [email protected]
    Last fall I stayed at Emerald Lake state park in Vermont. Really nice camp ground, reasonably priced, and no issues with using a hammock. I looked through the pictures I took that weekend but didn't find any of the hammock setup. When checking in I asked if it would be alright to use a hammock. I did get bit a of a strange look and a couple questions, but the bottom line response was, "don't cut or damage anything and you will be fine". Seems to be the basic LNT attitude that the folks on this board appear to follow anyway.

When car camping I have been carrying my tent with me so if someone does have an issue I can go to ground and I won't need to use the hammock. My feeling is I don't want to ruin a weekend of camping if some ranger decides hanging is not permitted.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast