Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies

Poncho question

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to determine what I need for rain protection and have read some about the poncho quilt liners being used as an UQ as well. I have seen the two that you guys offer and can't quite determine what I should try. I'm looking for something that I can use as rain gear and as an UQ or cover if ever needed.

Dri Ducks poncho with JRB modification and poncho/shelter. I see that alot of folks are using a poncho for an UQ and would like something that I could use for a couple different purposes. Just trying to figure out which one you guys would suggest? It looks like the poncho/shelter is larger so it would offer more coverage???? Any advice???

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    I was just getting ready to ask the same question. I know a few have used the Golite Poncho/Tarp. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I think what you are referring to is a rain poncho being used as a protector for an underquilt. Used in this manner it protects the UQ from moisture, stops some wind, and maybe adds a small amount of insulation as well.
    A lot of folks use a poncho 'liner' as an underquilt. The liner is a quilted, synthetic 'blanket' designed for military use to add warmth when sleeping under the poncho.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    What Passinthru said.

However, you can also use your poncho, if modded correctly, to hold a crumpled-up space blanket against the bottom of the hammock for truly warm conditions. I've used this semi-Garlington insulator successfully as low as the mid-50s. I'd recommend somewhere around 55* F to 60* F as the temp rating for most folks.

Just a thought...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies
    well I am just now looking at getting into backpacking and I'm trying to make everything have at least two purposes. Like I'm going to ditch my air core pillow once I get a poncho and plan to use it primarily as a pillow when stuffed in it's pocket. It's primary use will be for rain protection(which I hope to seldom have to use) but would like it to where I can gather the ends for a gear hammock or as an added layer of insulation incase temps drop lower than expected.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: Poncho question

Quote Originally Posted by leeinmemphis View Post
    well I am just now looking at getting into backpacking and I'm trying to make everything have at least two purposes. Like I'm going to ditch my air core pillow once I get a poncho and plan to use it primarily as a pillow when stuffed in it's pocket. It's primary use will be for rain protection(which I hope to seldom have to use) but would like it to where I can gather the ends for a gear hammock or as an added layer of insulation incase temps drop lower than expected.
    If your making gear there are plans somewhere around here for a gear hammock/chair/pack cover... I can get you the link to the video if you want it... It wouldn't cover you, but it would cover your pack which is half the battle...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I suggest you consider using a urethane coated nylon poncho instead of silnylon if you also intend to use it as a gear hammock. The material is significantly stronger thus less likely to leak if loaded that way.

The other use for a poncho is as a door across the weather end in a storm. A couple of tie points would not weigh much but would facilitate that.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Multi-use gear is the best gear and a poncho is one of the most verisitile multitaskers you can carry.

Just my $0.02
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I was hoping one of the jacks may drop in and advise if either of their ponchos would be up for what I hope to do with it. I've looked on amazon and there is a bunch of different brand stuff but I really don't want to just order something and it not be the right material/size etc. Also the prices are all over the place between $7 to $150 dollars. I would have never guessed choosing a parka would have been so complicated.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

Poncho & Large Trash Bags

I use my poncho as an overcover & I have a undercover from 2QZQ. However, I use to tie my poncho under my hammock. I always carried 2 large Heavy Duty Trash bags. One was for my inner liner on my backpack, and the other I used for my sleeping bag & UQ.

I would fill them with leaves and put them on top of the Poncho. I had a JRB Mt Washington which was good to @ 25°. So when it would drop down to single digits, it was a good back up. Both the poncho and bags were doing double duty.

OneThingAT - Facebook
    OneThing YouTube
    N. Calif. Boggs Mt Hangout - May 10-12, 2013

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast