Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    I've seen a lot of concern around the forums about the tube adding a bunch of bulk to your pack, but I'm not sure I understand why. It's just a tiny bit of silny. The tube itself doesn't afford hardly any bulk. I understand in pictures, it looks gigantic. But understand that it's full of a hammock, and usually a ton of down or synthetic insulation and, more importantly, a ton of air - the tube is quite roomy. As the description on the website says, it's not a compression sack; compression comes when you jam it into your pack. It's meant to be an organizational tool and, perhaps moreso, a lazy man's way of setting up. It replaces any stuff sacks you're using for your hammock, your underquilt, your topquilt, and anything else you might stick in there that might otherwise be in its own sack (like sleepwear).

ONE SACK TO RULE THEM ALL!

I might take a few more pictures later on, specifically to show how much "extra" room it (doesn't) occupy.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I understand what you are saying but my concern comes from I guess that my TQ, UQ and hammock are all individually small packages that I can move into "holes" between other gear inside my pack. Also I remember seeing in a Shug video where someone was using one in one of their northern hangs and when they went to pack it up it was massive but then they were using large overstuffed quilts.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3/SSniveller
    Suspension
    Tri-Glide Set
    Quote Originally Posted by tnvarmint View Post
    Does it make it a lot bigger in your pack? I have thought about getting one of these but thought it would make everything a lot bigger in my pack.
    A loaded (TQ, UQ, and BMBH) Slug will stuff into the sleeping bag compartment of my old The Works @ Mystery Ranch Groove. The Slug material is very slick.
    Still shakin' it Boss, still shakin' it.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I have thought about making one. How hard is it to get everything stuffed back into the tube? I know that with my tarp skins, I always have a lot of air trying to get out of the tarp, and it tends to push the middle apart. I do know that the tube is one piece, so I am guessing that as you slide it along, the air will be pushed out.

BTW, nice pics.......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    I have thought about making one. How hard is it to get everything stuffed back into the tube? I know that with my tarp skins, I always have a lot of air trying to get out of the tarp, and it tends to push the middle apart. I do know that the tube is one piece, so I am guessing that as you slide it along, the air will be pushed out.

BTW, nice pics.......RR
    It is NOT a single piece, actually. It's two pieces that meet in the middle, like snake skins. I find it easier, personally, to get the slug together than the snake skins because with the tarp, as you said, the trapped air tends to push the two pieces apart. I don't find the same to be true with the slug.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Thanks, as you can tell from my other post, I didn't know that the slug was 2 tubes, like the tarp skins. I wonder if the extra size of the tube allows it to slide over the "works" better. I wonder if 1 long tube would be better?......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I keep reading Lazy Shug Tube
    They are a very interesting piece of kit for sure.
    Lazy Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    Last week I tubed up both the tarp (mesh tube) and the hammock (LST) and hiked up a cliff...frkn rain came down in dixie-cup sized droplets and it took me 20 minutes before I could negotiate the slickened sand wall to get back down to my camp...UQ was dry as a bone!

I am definitely in love with a Slug.

At first I thought it should be smaller but, naw, it's perfect. If it were tight it wouldn't be so easy to slide on. And it goes right down in the bottom of my pack, so as I add in the objects that do have a shape, it magically fills up the unused space and I wind up with a cohesive load.

When I take the zPacks Zero I pull an end of the Slug up against my back so I don't need to carry the sit pad in there - and never notice any corners poking me in the back. When I carried the sit pad, that felt like more weight and bulk.

I still want to make myself a brownish-yellowish one and put big black polka dots on it so it looks like the UC Santa Cruz mascot Banana Slug.

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    OK... after reading this thread, I pulled the trigger on ordering one. I've been using seperate STS e-vent compression dry bags for my hammock and quilts. While this allows you to compress them very small, it also makes them fairly "rigid" - so that the volleyball size compression sacks don't conform very well to the available space in your pack.

I HOPE that the LS Tube will not only make the hammock/quilt setup easier, but allow me to hand stuff the entire assembly, via trash compactor bag, to completely fill the nooks and crannies of the bottom of the pack.

...we shall see...

thanks for sharing info.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Big fan of the LST, here.

Since it is sil, it's no big deal if it hits the ground during set up/takedown. Sometimes, that's helpful.

Also, the tubes, when retracted, function as end caps to protect the hammock and quilts from wind driven moisture.

My Papa Smurf sock ended up being a bit shorter than it needed to be, but used in conjunction with the LST at the head end, it works great, and is actually easier to close up, since I don't have so far to reach.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast