eno double nest
    Tarp
    JRB spinnaker
    Insulation
    JRB tq /uq
    Suspension
    ucr or ws
    Quote Originally Posted by c0wb0y84 View Post
    To quote myself from what I understand about what I read.

So the simple answer is... Try it and see. If it works then you're good to go, and if not then try something else. Its not a great answer but it's simple.
    +1

Starting in January I have been experimenting in the back yard with vb's of various materials, mylar, 0.7 mil poly painters drop cloth, usgi poncho ......
    Each time I think I've found a good solution that works for me the temp or humidity change and I have a new problem. The best thing is try different ways for yourself.

Hammock
    Hennessy/ENO/DIY
    Tarp
    Mosquito Diamond
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Canoebie-
    That is the beauty of forums! It is pretty cool to see what others have found, and since we are all different, it's interesting to see how different the answers are.

Thanks to all!
    To become Old and Wise, First be Young and Foolish.

"A man who will not read, has no advantage over a man who cannot read." - Attr. Mark Twain

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by cv66seabear View Post
    I would like a simple answer to this as I just bought an REI Space blanket to keep my arms and toes warmer. (I have issues with a cold left side after donating a kidney to my brother - although the Drs can't detect a diference in temperature).

Two ideas: 1. put it under my REI pad inside the hammock, or 2. Secure it underneath the hammock on the outside.

I appreciate the talk about VBLs, and I read the information, but I'd like some real-world experiences. No UQ, this is for the night chill of the other 3 seasons. Other info - since I'm a new convert from the ground, I'm using a sleeping bag.

Thanks for the help!
    I would put it under your hammock. I think the "sandwich" would get too complicated with it inside the hammock. Putting it outside makes a wind break and another insulating layer. If that improves things, consider an undercover and put the space blanket in between the hammock and the undercover. You can also buy the foam for a Hennessy SuperShelter and put that AND the space blanket in there and I'll bet you can leave out your pad if over 40F.

Did you get the thicker "Sportsman's" style space blanket or the Mylar style?

If ONLY your hands and feet are cold, I think you would be better off with thick fleece socks or down booties and fleece gloves for sleep.
    Last edited by DaleW; 04-07-2013 at 21:27.

Hammock
    Hennessy/ENO/DIY
    Tarp
    Mosquito Diamond
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    What I got was a aspace blanket (pure aluminum! they say) sandwiched with another layer and backed with a red poly ripstop tarp material. This would make it easy (when I put in some grommets) to suspend underneath, and would make a great wind barrier. It is 5'X7' and so would work pretty well.

"A man who will not read, has no advantage over a man who cannot read." - Attr. Mark Twain

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Most every frequent poster here would convey to you this practice:
    never use grommets on gear
    because the edges of the grommets can slash that article or others it is stuffed against. If it doesn't happen when the grommet is new, it will happen should the grommet comes loose.
    So, sew loops on, instead, or use tarp-grips.(Too many makers to recommend any one or several, but those are the key-words for a search.)

I might be less harsh on learning of plastic grommets which anticipate and preclude the failure and damage mode of the most typical brass or brass-finished ones.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 04-12-2013 at 20:54.

Hammock
    Hennessy/ENO/DIY
    Tarp
    Mosquito Diamond
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So used to ground pounding - I hadn't thought about grommets hitting other gear or failing. I'll try tarp grips - that way, I could just attach the SB to the hammock without having to mess with more lines, that would hold it tight against the bottom.

Dutch has some new tarp pull outs - I wonder how much thickness they can handle? Have to write to Dutch and ask him.

Just wanted to say thanks for all your replies. I didn't know i was starting (again?) such a debate !
    We finally went with the no-space-blanket-at-all solution because of one thing : the noise...

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123