Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    ENO Dryfly
    I've been using ENO slapstraps Pro at 3/4" and been getting around to switching to something bigger and less nylon.
    I had been thinking of doing a 2"/1" combo where the 2" would take the bulk of the weight on the tree and then be sewn to 1 straps on each end for lighter straps and hardware options.
    I wanted to go with the bigger strap size based upon the threads i had seen where people said they couldn't hang with smaller than 1.5 or 2" straps and better safety for the tree. But in this thread only one person has said small widths weren't allowed and implied the doubling (tripling) fixed that.
    As for tree safety its not something i have seen, but i haven't been hanging long- is this truely a prob with 1" straps, especially in the northeast?

I hadn't pulled the trigger yet because i hadn't worked out how long i wanted each section to be (a 3 foot 2" section is good for 1 foot trees, doesn't give protection to larger trees; a 6 foot 2" section would have the 2" section running thru the end hardware/loop). If i don't need to worry about the different lengths, so much the better and it would allow me to go ahead and get the straps my cold wet backside needs...
    .... well, after figuring what length i want 6', 9', 12'.... 24'?!?.. dammit

Hammock
    Hammaka Parachute
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    I use 2" straps because I break 300 pounds and I've had 1" straps fail on me. Not a fun way to wake up. It's better for the trees, too.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Since all my hardware, like cinch buckles and stuff are to be used with 1 inch straps , i had Gary at readystraps.com make me a custom pair that are 2 inch around the tree and taper down to 1 inch at the hammock, they work really well and Gary made them at a very reasonable price,, if you want them made just tell him and remind him that you want the same as Zills, 2 in x 4 ft then 1 in x 6 ft
    ..FS (2).jpg

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    Some more on that topic. I made some like gmcttr made in the attached thread. Haven't tried them yet, but will on my next outing.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-buckles/page2
    Bill

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    ENO Dryfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Wkerber View Post
    I made some like gmcttr made in the attached thread. Haven't tried them yet, but will on my next outing.
    His solution does seem to be the most elegant, giving low weight while improving tree safety and meeting ranger requirements. Did you make them yourself or have them made?

Let us know how they work in the field.

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    Quote Originally Posted by brodieb666 View Post
    His solution does seem to be the most elegant, giving low weight while improving tree safety and meeting ranger requirements. Did you make them yourself or have them made?

Let us know how they work in the field.
    I did make them myself. Sticking is not as nice as what gmctrr did, but they'll hold.
    Bill

Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps
    In a recent call to a Florida State Park "she" specified 2" straps. When I questioned that she did back down but from that conversation I take it that 2" straps are going to be it in the future unless Fla re-issues a clarification.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    While we in Florida have heard reference of 2" straps recently from the State Park system, the more common reference is no hammocks at all. My guess is that a few parks will allow hammocks with the 2" minimum straps, but most likely in car camping settings.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    I use 2" straps for a couple reasons...reason 1 is that I'm a big guy (6'0, 350), so I don't feel as trusting in smaller straps. I have the ENO Atlas straps, and sure, they hold my weight, but they also groan and creak a lot whenever I move around - not the most comforting noise to hear. Reason 2 is that, considering my weight, I want to make certain that I'm not damaging the tree in any way...part of this is choosing trees with thicker (harder?) bark, and part is having more surface area for the load to spread over (I kinda doubt that doubling the strap over will really spread the weight evenly). Reason 3 is that VA state parks mandate a minimum of 1.5 inch straps in every response I've gotten, which makes most of the commercially available straps useless for at least half of my camping.

I use the Algoma 7800 hammock straps, found here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XNMEZK/
    The "shipping" weight is listed at 5 lbs; having handled these, I can tell you that the majority of that weight is in the metal S hook on each strap, as well as the metal O ring. Easy solution, leave the metal bits at home. I'd have to weigh them, but without the metal parts I'd say the straps weigh around 1 pound for the pair, maybe less.

Quote Originally Posted by hairbear View Post
    Thats what I switched to.Missouri has a 3 inch strap rule for hangers in state forests,so two wraps gets me there.

Being very new to this, I have been wanting to camp at Montauk S.P. in order to fish and have been wondering where to find 3 inch tree huggers. So 2 turns with a 2 in strap fits the requirement. I did not think it was that easy. Thanks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast