Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Enos Double Nest
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slings

Started my first hammock and need some help

I figured today would be just as good as any to start building my first hammock. The first problem i ran into is i dont really care for ordering things online. Call me old fashioned but I like to see what Im buying. So I had told a friend of mine about my project. He said i should check out a store in town called The Yard. This place is amazing. They carry everything from fabric to tools. I was amazed by there selection of webbing. Just about any make, color, and size you could imagine. So I bought a little over 40 feet of 1 inch black polyester webbing for 10 cents a foot or 4 dollars. They also had several diffrent sizes of desending rings I bought four 1 and a 1/4 inch black rings and four 1 inch silver rings to try out for suspension. The rings were cheap to about 25 cents a piece. I also bought 550 cord for whipping. I just wish i could find a place that sells tablecloths big enough. The biggest i have found was 102 inches. Did find rip stop nylon at hancock fabric that was old school BDU camo for 8.99 a yard. The only problem with that is I dont know how to tell if it is 1.1 or 1.9 and i dont have the means of sewing a seam on all the edges. Does any know how to tell between 1.1 and 1.9 and the like and if that liquid seam glue would hold up to the stresses of a hammock?

Hammock
    DIY cinched end
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    So far thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggle
    You posted something earlier this week or last week about trying to find webbing or something like that in Wichita right? Well I spent a good 30 minutes trying to find that store "The Yard", but I could not remember what it was called. I was actually looking for a store in the lawrence/ kansas city area that sold webbing and stumbled onto their site and thought WOW only if I lived in Wichita. You should see if they sell Amsteel Blue there and make yourself some whoopie slings.

On a side note, I have bought some of that fabric from Hancocks and I believe it to be 1.9oz but without a coating (not sure of the actual weight) but is very similar. I used it to make my first test DIY hammock. I was learning how to hem on my fabric welder. But I have since moved on to a more permanent 11 foot hammock in ACU digital camo. I like it.
    Last edited by namnat; 04-05-2013 at 04:07.
    "Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth." - Jules Verne

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Hancock fabrics carries 1.9 non-coated ripstop. You don't have to sew anything for a basic hammock. The sides will be serged so they will hold up to a bit of abuse. The ends can be sealed with a very light touch of a flame after cutting.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Started my first hammock and need some help

Be careful hanging from those rings. My bet would be that they will open up and drop you as soon as your weight hits the hammock.
    Hardware for hammock suspensions should be climbing rated.

Does that store sell sewing machines? You might as well jump into the deep end of the pool.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Enos Double Nest
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slings
    lol i looked they dont sell sewing machines or anything. As far as the rings. yeah knowing my luck Im going to hit they ground. They are welded fully so we will see I couldnt pass up the rings. Lol i asked about amsteel they didnt have any. He told me someone else a few days ago asking about it.

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I highly recommend DIY gear supply.

Hammock
    DIY cinched end
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    So far thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggle

Re: Started my first hammock and need some help

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    I highly recommend DIY gear supply.
    +1 on DIY Gear Supply
    "Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth." - Jules Verne

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    102" tablecloth will work fine. Since the tablecloth is already hemmed, you dont loose any fabric to the sewing process. Just make sure the fabric has little to no stretch.
    It'll get you off the ground and started in the fun world of hammocks.
    I'd say skip the rings, unless you a daredevil. No telling how weak they might be.

Webbing-stick with polyester. It will stretch a lot less than nylon webbing. 1" width is pretty standard. Try to find a weight rating. Not all webbing is created equal.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    DIY gear for sure. Has everything you mite need. I just placed an order a couple days ago

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Re: Started my first hammock and need some help

The seam glue should hold the side edges fine because there is not much in the way of stress to open the seam.

Not so sure about the ends of the hammock, the whipping may put enough stress on it to rip it apart but probably not if you whip it tight enough for it not to slip. I wouldn't risk a failure on what I say though as I have no experience with this stuff

To weight the fabric just cut off the selvage and measure the dimensions of what you have, weigh it then divide it by how many square yards you have and you will have the weight per y2.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast