Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Re: hammock hitch hiking/ stealth car camping

Signs, signs, everywhere is signs, do this, don't do that, can't you read the signs....

There's enough federal land around here to find, I respect private property, probably more than the next guy.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    DIY Silny
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    While I have only been hanging as my primary camping method for about a year now, I have been stealth camping for at least 15. This includes such places as a grove of trees in the middle of a hwy intersection (the middle of the round part of one of those 4 leaf clover intersections), and various other nooks and cranny places.

In urban areas (and especially anywhere that has even relatively easy access), you are likely to find others living mortgage-free. Sometimes they are "unsavory characters", but I've found that to be true only half the time. When I have, I greet them and say I'm just passing thru, and keep going. No big deal really.

Otherwise, the people are just people; and like any demographic, there are awesome people, okay people, and the scum people that cling to the edges of the demographic barrel. As the saying goes, "It takes all kinds"; and every demographic (including the mortgage-free) has all kinds.

Every time I have done stealth camping I was traveling on foot. Thus, I don't have an answer to questions about what to do with your vehicle. It is true that unattended vehicles by the side of the road (and many other areas) tend to get broken into often.

Best of luck!

P.S. As a general rule of thumb, I avoid tons of trouble by only ever camping (even stealth camping) on public property, or private property with permission. It's just makes good sense not to trespass.
    Last edited by Demitri; 04-09-2013 at 19:05. Reason: Added post script

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    Problem is, where to park the car!?!
    Just park it off the side of the road with note saying you broke down and will be back in the morning. Obviously, it would have to be along a road where you won't get towed. In Virginia, people just hang a white shirt or plastic bag from the driver's door to show it's a disabled vehicle. I've seen cars sit for up to a week.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Resqsarge03 View Post
    More often than not, the "great spot" you picked out close to good parking and access and seemingly unoccupied will have someone who is currently without a mortgage staying there. This is more common in urban/suburban areas. If you pull off at an interstate rest area and head to the woods you still risk meeting unsavory characters.
    There is nothing like really getting out there in the boonies and knowing that no one will come along to bother your solitude, thats for sure.
    True. Most people willing to hike 10 miles in are probably out there for the same reasons as you.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Ozark Trail Cocoon
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    That's an awesome idea! Would love to see some pictures if possible

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Just be careful. State laws usually determine whether or not it's legal to walk/hike on state or interstate highways. A NY state trooper educated me as I was taking a short cut from the trail back to my car a few years ago. I realize it's his job to keep people safe but he really didn't have to threaten me with jail time.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    DD 10'x10'
    Insulation
    SI mat, 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch buckl
    Adventure is sometimes too close to downright dangerous. Just because it seems like fun, hanging in a heavy-traffic area is just sleeping rough like a hobo. I wouldn't do it unless I had to and then I'd try to make myself as invisible as possible, and make my sleep as short as possible. Even taking a nap in a car on the side of the road these days is putting your life at risk.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I've tried it a couple times, but about half the time my sleep gets interrupted by the police or someone else telling me I'm trespassing. The last time I did it, the guy had a gun. I've don't do that anymore!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12