Tarp
    Kelty 9' + Mods
    Insulation
    Marmot minimalist
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas
    Images

Question hammock hitch hiking/ stealth car camping

I drive for a living and can't help but notice all the wooded spots just out-of-sight i think would make great stealth camps. You know near on/off ramps and on the expressways.

Obviously walking on the highway is not the best idea ever but as a hanger I am constantly looking for new places to camp. Anyone have experience camping in such locations?

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I travel for a living and it includes driving 60% of the time, I am always looking at available spots, I keep wanting to try it myself going stealth, but haven't made it happen yet.

I'll be interested in seeing the responses, I assume it's like Bike stealth camping, just off the freeways.

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    No experience, but I'm always looking at those same spots when driving. I'd say there's an endless supply of stealth spots along the highways on land that the state purchased to build the roadway. I've even thought I'd use my alky stove instead of wood so the smoke wouldn't give me away.

Several times I've used Google Earth to check the area in question to see how deep the woods extend, or what's on the other side -- easy to do from your car on a smartphone.

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Problem is, where to park the car!?!

Hammock
    DIY DL gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11 ft cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY down diff cut
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    More often than not, the "great spot" you picked out close to good parking and access and seemingly unoccupied will have someone who is currently without a mortgage staying there. This is more common in urban/suburban areas. If you pull off at an interstate rest area and head to the woods you still risk meeting unsavory characters.
    There is nothing like really getting out there in the boonies and knowing that no one will come along to bother your solitude, thats for sure.
    "Live your life so that your children can tell their children that you not only stood for something wonderful- you acted on it"
    -Dan Zadra

Hammock
    Eno singlenest + mods
    Tarp
    Kelty 9' + Mods
    Insulation
    Marmot minimalist
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas
    Images
    I am mostly interested in ditching my car but was thinking information on stealth camping the interstate could be useful to car campers. That being said I don't know where you park. A few ideas; a car pooling lot. Possibly write a fake "out of gas, be back tomorrow" sign and stick it up.

Hammock
    Eno singlenest + mods
    Tarp
    Kelty 9' + Mods
    Insulation
    Marmot minimalist
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas
    Images
    Resqsarge03 I understand where you're coming from about really getting out into the brush away from others. As I'm sure you'd agree urban stealth camping is a lot different. I enjoy the thrill of trying to find a spot that is hidden in plain sight. The thrill of illegally 'squatting' on someone Else's land for a night of rest. Its just kind of a different game.

It kind of makes me feel like a ninja! I get to creep up at night with my red LED low-vis head lamp and test myself. How fast can i set up? Did i choose a good location? How fast can i tear down, Will i have any visitors during the night?

Other tips i can think of for being safe is trying to find a location where you have to trek through some sort of rough brush or obstacle that might deter the average person. Generally, if all goes right, the noise/lights of someone trying to creep up on your camp will awaken you.

hammock hitch hiking/ stealth car camping

I doubt I want to "camp" next to a hwy or interstate. I also doubt I would risk losing my job trespassing on someone's land, much less risk getting shot, walking up finding someone that does not want to be found. I don't get it I guess. Freeways seem to be noisy, littered, and full of pollution. And people! Trespassing is not taken lightly here in TX. What looks like to you, a vacant lot of unused woods perfect for camping is my hunting grounds. That i spend a lot o time and money on. You mess up my hunt by trespassing and I don't think either one of us are going to be very happy. Sneaking around on private property is dangerous. We have plenty of state, national, and even private land to legally camp on. Away from the hwy.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG hex, WBSF
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle
    Images
    Cars on the side of road with no "visible" occupants are always broken into, be careful.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    Winter fat
    I met an American riding bike (peddle bike) through Canada last summer. He was stealth camping near one of my favorite trails. I rode by while he was still sleeping then back past (on my way home) when he was tearing down camp.
    Like bike messengers, it's really cool in thought to be able to travel like that, camping where you can find a spot. In reality... I do this only in the deep, deep bush where I'm the only crazy to be that far in the bush.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast