HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Rainfly
    Insulation
    US MSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Whats Your Opinion On Pads

This is my first post here on HF and I have some questions!

I have just purchased the HH explorer deluxe with the plain rainfly, snakeskin, and upgraded to whoopie slings from Simply Light Designs. I plan on using my US modular sleep system with it as I am accustomed to doing so in the wonderful, wet conditions in the Olympics. I used to carry the cheap green foam army pad, but now that I've upgraded to the Hennessy I do not really have a place to carry it with my pack anymore. In the past it was always rolled up with my tent. Therefore I am on the hunt for a new pad.

Thus began my research! I have read about this reflectix material and it sounds very promising to me as a pad/underquilt solution. I think I could just fold or wrap it up inside my sleeping bag stuff stack which would make for very convenient carry and setup. I could just take my sleeping bag off my pack once my hammock is up and everything is right there.

So my questions: Has anyone used reflectix with the MSS? What kind of padding does it offer comfortwise? Is it enough in 0 degree temps? In high winds? How hard is it to actually roll or fold into a small package?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole;DIY
    Insulation
    HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Whats Your Opinion On Pads

Reflectix rolls up pretty well. (Think yoga mat rolled up for a full length price of Reflectix) Taking it to 0° is not likely. I've used it down to 28° but only under my feet. You'll also need something for your shoulder area because Reflectix is usual only 24" wide. Look into the SPE Mod.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth 11'
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    7/64" whoopies
    In case you haven't handled a piece of Reflectix, I'll point out that it's a bit noisy and crinkly. Something to think about when considering it for a sleeping pad.

Reflectix is basically bubble wrap with mylar on each side.

Someone pulled a minimum R-value of 3.7, not 0* but I can say I've used it on frozen ground and could feel no cold what-so-ever and actually felt heat radiating back onto my butt.

It is noisy but gets less noisy the more you use it. I use it as a full body mat for around the campfire and it's very comfy for a .3 inch mat.

I'd say, for as cheap as it is, you can't go wrong giving it a shot and seeing if it works before investing money in a 100+ dollar pad.

I can tell you, paired with a CCF pad my buddy took that down to around 20*, full body pad. Said he was WARM.

I'm seriously considering ditching my UL downmat in the summer and going with just a piece of reflectix.
    Last edited by Red Wing; 04-11-2013 at 16:21.

Hammock
    DD Camping Hammock
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 tarp
    Insulation
    Gossammer Gear CCF
    Suspension
    SB Poly-Whoopies
    I've been very happy with my Gossamer Gear Evazote pad for insulation, it was darn cheap.

With all of the good things people have to say about reflectix however I was thinking of usign it to supplement the GG pad in sub freezing temps. The GG pad kept me mostly warm in the high 20s last month - but a little bit more warmth would be better.

Has anyone ever made a folding reflectix pad by using something like Tenacious tape between pieces to create an accordion fold pad (folds like Therm-a-Rest Z Lite)? It seems taping pieces together this way would be easier to pack/stow and also allow you to make the pad as wide as you wanted without a SPE.

Quote Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
    I've been very happy with my Gossamer Gear Evazote pad for insulation, it was darn cheap.

With all of the good things people have to say about reflectix however I was thinking of usign it to supplement the GG pad in sub freezing temps. The GG pad kept me mostly warm in the high 20s last month - but a little bit more warmth would be better.

Has anyone ever made a folding reflectix pad by using something like Tenacious tape between pieces to create an accordion fold pad (folds like Therm-a-Rest Z Lite)? It seems taping pieces together this way would be easier to pack/stow and also allow you to make the pad as wide as you wanted without a SPE.
    As supplementation for the GG for extra warmth, I think that's absolutely doable and would work. If using just the reflectix I think you'd be better off keeping it in one piece and maybe using it inside your pack. Put it in, let in unroll to the edges of the pack and fill the middle.

I keep mine strapped to the pad holder webbing on the bottom back of my osprey and haven't had any issues with mobility and durability of the reflectix. Same piece is going strong, even have beating the crap out of it.

• + New Posts