Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which JRB summer quilt?

Greetings to the list:

I would like to buy a 40-45 F rated quilt for 3 main uses:

1. On the ground in the summer when hiking with my wife
    2. In my Hennessy Hammock (bottom entry) in the summer, as a top quilt while using a 3/4 CCF pad as bottom insulation, and
    3. As an underquilt in cooler weather, combined with the CCF pad.

Right now I am using my Megalite sleeping bag for uses #1 and #2, and not using my hammock in cooler weather.

I'm trying to choose between the Shenandoah Quilt and the Sierra Stealth. Both are 40-45 F rated. Both can be used as an underquilt if I buy the kit. The Sierra has a head hole and is slightly wider, at a cost of $20 and an additional ounce.

I'm leaning toward the Sierra for the extra 4 inches of shoulder width for ground sleeping. I'm over 6 feet and 210 pounds with broad shoulders, and I generally sleep on my side. I also like the idea of using it as camp insulation in the summer and just not bringing a fleece or a down vest.

Comments? Will the Sierra work well as an underquilt if I decide to go that route in the future?

Thanks in advance!

Ken B (Big Cranky)

Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape

48" vs 52" Width

I am basically the same height and weight and have used both the 48 inch and 52 inch wide Stealth. Also side sleep.

For sleeping on the ground the 52 inch wide version of the Sierra Stealth made a huge difference for me to stay warm at its lower temp limits. I try to use this quilt into the 30's if needed. Much easier to tuck and wrap on the edges. But when warmer out, sealing up on the edges 48" wide vs 52" was not as critical and I could have gone either width.

Using in a hammock either width worked just as well. 48" is plenty.

I do get dual use out of the Sierra Stealth quilt as I will wear it on cold mornings. Even in early June it can get to mid 30's at night but in the 70's during the day here in northern PA. Have to be pretty careful to not snag it if wearing around camp. Sometimes I just stuff it up under my wind shell to protect it. yes it looks bizzare. But if not staying around camp very long and your time is more spent hiking, you could just wrap a Shenandoah around you. I used to just do this with my sleeping bags ie when cooking breakfast etc sitting in one spot and not moving around.

As an underquilt, I primarily used the quilt to supliment a 3/4 length quilt for colder weather. I would shake the down toward the middle of the quilt to puff up the center area. Never used the Stealth alone by itself as an underquilt so not sure what the rating would be.

Hope this helps.
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

Thanks, that helps a lot. Appreciate the reply.

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Shenandah,Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I have the Shenandoah and had a similar plan to you.

I love the quilt, very warm and compresses down small. I've never used it for ground but I don't think i would have any problems. My plan deviated when I bought a 3/4 underquilt and never looked back at the pads... Since then I've never even set it up as an underquilt.

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Shenandah,Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I'm 5'11 160. You may want to consider the long. While mine isn't too short, I think I would like the extra length on the nights i'm trying to stretch the temp range.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Like Hobbit, I use my stealth in the summer as my cold morning insulation. Warmer than a fleece and I am already carrying it. Coupled with a wind or rain jacket it becomes quite the puffy jacket.

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images

Sierra Stealth was my first TQ.

I'm 6'-4" and the Sierra Stealth (long version) fits me great... very lightweight yet has kept me warm in TQ mode down to below 40F.

I've also stuffed it under my HHSS underpad to stretch my HHSS to a bit colder temperature range than normal.

I've not worn it as a poncho. My concern has been either snagging it and tearing it, getting it dirty/wet, or just contaminating it with fire smoke odors - always know it's available in an emergency, but it's not my primary outer clothing.

I was impressed enough with the Sierra Stealth to recently order a complete 3Season UQ/TQ set from JRB to complete my arsenal.

Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape

Long size

bryce1201 your right about the longer size helping on cooler nights. I am also 5'11". On the two versions I owned I've gone with the long size. It does come in handy when colder or with a breeze. I have the extra length to pull up around neck and head.
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Bigcranky,

The Sierra Sniveller is not designed for use as an under quilt...Stock it does not have foot end loops for the standard suspension attachment.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Bigcranky,

The Sierra Sniveller is not designed for use as an under quilt...Stock it does not have foot end loops for the standard suspension attachment.

Pan
    Ah, see, that is very helpful. Not sure that using it as an underquilt is a high enough priority to make the decision for me, but that is a crucial bit of info.

Appreciate it.

EDIT: a quote from the JRB web site: "Most importantly, all JRB quilt designs include attachment loops that allow their use as under quilts for hammocks. Every JRB quilt will work on any hammock, including the unique Hennessy hammocks."

That's where I got the thought that it would work for this....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast