Nano 7
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 40 TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    dynaglide

Best insulation system for +50F and RAINY

Im going to DIY this UQ and I have a sewing machine and some experience(hammock, rayway backpack).I plan to be mostly in warm weather but also very rainy weather. Im trying to go as LIGHT as possible without being cold. I will be hiking on the island of kauai(highest rainfall in the WORLD) where it doesnt get too cold. The average lowest temp is 65. I have used a 55 degree mummy bag with a 1/8 gg thinlight pad and i still got cold. I want to make an underquilt but am confused about certain materials. I just want to know whats best from those with experience.Heres my thoughts so far:

Down UQ w/ M50 shell. very warm, very light, but I will be in rainstorm capital(it rains every day)This seems to be the standard and i already have an old down blanket that i will take the down from. also it gets muggy from the rain so I would like the breathability of down. Just need to know how to keep it dry.
    PROs...light, warm, cheap(free down)
    Cons...if it gets wet im done

Insultex with M50 shell only on underside. My only concern is some people have had problems with making the UQ properly. It seems to only work if you sew it just right. Not sure if it is as light as down but I heard that it is only very slightly heavier.
    PROs...cheap, only need under layer shell, can get wet and dries fast
    Cons...VBarrier makes it muggier, I have to buy it, may have problems sewing

Is there any other LIGHT options for a summer UQ. Keep in mind i already have an old down quilt i will use for the down UQ..so free down. Worth it to buy the Insultex?

Hammock
    UK Hammocks woodsman lite
    Tarp
    TW Poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Pad+sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Best insulation system for +50F and RAINY

Take a look at primaloft one, synthetic insulation works when wet and very compressible (near than down) I'm going to make my UQ with this, I live in Mallorca an island in Mediterranean Sea not to cold but with very high humidity in both winter an summer (always upper 75%).

Hope it helps

Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Look at synthetic options

I love my down, but in very wet weather I like the capabilities of synthetics. Even keeping the down protected, it will still absorb quite a bit of water overtime from the humidity.

I would look at the Climashield Apex for a lightweight synthetic option. It performs very well, drapes nicely, requires little quilting to hold in place, and does not seem to have the issues that insultex does for some individuals. Thru-hiker carries it in 2.5 and 5 oz/yd weights. At those temps with proper clothing you should be able to use a single layer of 2.5.

They also have Primaloft Sport in 1.8, 3 and 6 oz/yd, but the primaloft requires much more quilting to stabalize.

If you're really tied to wanting down, I would look at some of the Dry down options, which are much more resistant to wetting and humidity than regular down.

Michael
    Last edited by vampiresmiley; 04-07-2013 at 11:14.

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    Diy down u.q.&t.q.
    Suspension
    Web&cinch buckles
    Images

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    I used climashield apex and m50 to make a 40* quilt... its very packable. I started with a 10L compression sack and squash it right down as far as the straps go. The biggest problem is the m50 doesnt like to let the air go, its a lot of waiting for the air to leak out.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    Nano 7
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 40 TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    dynaglide
    Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    I used climashield apex and m50 to make a 40* quilt... its very packable. I started with a 10L compression sack and squash it right down as far as the straps go. The biggest problem is the m50 doesnt like to let the air go, its a lot of waiting for the air to leak out.
    how heavy was it? top or bottom quilt?
    Im currently making a poncho underquilt but im wondering if the suspension is good. ive heard of 3 different ways to suspend UQs but dont know which one is best.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    I'd say check out the DIY insultex UQ thread pinned in the DIY forum. It will be the lightest, easiest, smallest option for 50degF, IMHO.

If you need IX PM me, I got some laying around somewhere.

EDIT: I've tried atleast 2 of the UQ suspension methods. In my experience the thru-side channels are the easiest to adjust and provide the best fit, YMMV.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Nano 7
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 40 TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    dynaglide
    So I just made a poncho liner UQ and it is ridiculously comfy. I'm converted and now I just need to make a super light UQ. Gonna use M50 but torn between climashield and IX

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathansouvana View Post
    So I just made a poncho liner UQ and it is ridiculously comfy. I'm converted and now I just need to make a super light UQ. Gonna use M50 but torn between climashield and IX
    IX doesn't make very good TQ on its own. IX needs a small air gap between the layers to provide proper insulation. This is ideal for an UQ cause gravity keeps the layers seperated, but as a TQ gravity it working against you.

Instead of IX or Climashield I would reccomend Thinsulate. It is warmer than fleece for the same weight. Owfinc.com sells Thinsulate in 40, 100 & 200g/m^2 weights. 100g Thinsulate is about 3oz/yd^2 that is about the same as the lightest fleece availale.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MLD Hexagon
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    On a 2 week stint in the Sarawak rainforest of Borneo, I used only a fleece blanket for insulation. I did bring an underquilt (a KAQ Lost River 1 season), but it was simply too warm with an underquilt at all, as so the quilt was only used the first night.
    We had temperatures mostly in the 70-75 in the night, but also some nights around 60-65. As for humidity: Well, it's a tropical rainforest, so...
    What I'm saying is, you might not need an UQ at all, but only a blanket to roll up in inside the hammock.
    If you're going for an UQ at all, synthetic will be better choice than down due to the humidity. However, if humidity is not your biggest concern, but wetness, then fleece might be an even better option than synthetic. When it comes to retaining its initial warmth when wet (compared to when dry), fleece is superior to synthetic. Yes, it is bulkier and heavier than synthetic insulation, but it retains most of its warmth. Whereas synthetic is clearly better than down, it will not keep all of it's dry insulating ability when wet, but will lose some of it!! Believe me, I've done that mistake a couple of times, and had miserable, cold, wet nights because of it.
    Saying that, if you're completely fascist about keeping your UQ from the wet/humidity, it might still work ok at the temperatures you've mentioned.
    Good judgement comes from experience - Experience comes from bad judgement

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast