Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD
    Images

Claytor Jungle Hammock good enough quality?

Hi,
    I am a value oriented newb, not cheap, but every sport I have ever tried, the first bought isn't the one you I end up with.
    At first glance the claytors look great and have some features I really like,
    i.e. the support sleeve for the rope/strap, the large fly etc.
    Concerned Id be throwing away 150 bucks or so if I order one of these.
    I'm in the market for this or a DD.
    any comments on quality on the claytors, or which has the more robust build the claytors or the DD. I Don't mind spending a little extra if it adds value.
    Id love a Clark, but Im not at a point where I can justify spending that much.
    Looking for quality over price. Any comments on relative build quality between claytor, DD or ENO greatly appreciated.
    Thank You

Images
    I originally bough Clarks for me and my son. The Clark was a bit too small for me but my son liked his. I returned my Clark and got a Claytor instead. I'm very happy with the Claytor (the second one, the first had some quality control issues.)

I've been recommending Claytors ever since. Unfortunately last year a friend bought one that had a quality control issue and Tom Claytor told her she was SOL. I still recommend Claytor's but with the caveat that customer service from tom Claytor is not what it used to be.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    been using a claytor for years, hundreds of nights in them . i don't use their tarp though. love me my claytor. i have an expedition and a camping hammock.

I have 2 Claytors that are about 4 years old. Both are good quality wise.No experience with DD or Eno.
    Keny

Hammock
    WBBB,Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor D, WB Hex
    Insulation
    Ptarm/Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The Claytor JH was my first hammock. I bought 4, 4 years ago but my impression was and is it is a very high quality product. (material and sewing.) They are all still in service to a firefighter as well as 2 in the park service. Not as light as a DD hammock, but you are not comparing apples to apples. The Claytor is a Milspec-type product, made from ripstop nylon, designed for 5 yrs of hard use and heavier than typical gathered end parachute hammock. The support is firm, (Think of a mattress) not stretchy like parachute material. If you want stretchy, buy a Traveler or any other 1.7 and 1.1 oz/yd materials. But long after the DD and most other hammocks are in the ragpile, the Claytor will still be in service, you can be sure of that. If you had to live in your hammock ala Hurrican Katrina, Sandy, etc you would be well served by the Mosquito Hammock product.
    I can't speak of QC issues arising today but many of these could be resolved by any of our hammock/tarp vendors. I remember a couple years back when Claytor changed the dbl layer design and people didn't like it, he changed the design back and sent new hammocks to many of the people on this site who complained to him to make things right. It cost Tom a bundle to do that and didn't ask for the "defective" hammocks back. I saw some of the defective hammocks for sale after that w/o that label. Many people just had the end opening sewed shut and modded the side to open and improved it better than Claytors design by adding 2-3 pieces of velcro to make pad insertion even easier.
    I grabbed a guyline with my mower and it ripped the thick nylon webbing off the tarp. It didn't tear the tarp whatsoever. Bet most Sil nylon, UL tarps would have. Stormcrow easily sewed it back on and for very little $.
    If you consider for a moment that for 150 bucks you got a 100 tarp and a 50 dollar hammock shipped free. Also understand he is a business man trying to run a business on the other side of the world, his trusted man may have been disabled/died and forced to find someone capable of producing his product, I don't know, but I know Tom has made quality, innovative stuff in the past and he will in the future.

Everett (One of many proud owners of a Claytor JH)
    "Take me away to a quiet place where beings melt into inner space. Every step brings me closer to see, my haven away beneath the trees." From Beneath the Trees by Everett Dort

Hammock
    None
    Tarp
    None
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    None
    Images
    Just bought one because I saw how much DuctTape liked his, and I can see why. I love the thing. I went through many hammocks before buying this one and now I found the one I will never ever get rid of.

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD
    Images
    I found out what I need to know, ordering the claytor,
    thank you for the responses, and soundmanjob, thanks for taking the time to write all that too

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD
    Images
    also guys, thanks for not answering a question that wasn't asked or going on about one you don't own
    I really appreciate the info
    Lee

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    hey leeward, I just noticed you are in the same state as Americashammock and myself. We both head to the adirondacks quite often, you are welcome to join us. There are others from the area also on hf.com a few I have had the pleasure of "hanging" with. Others we just haven't coordinated the effort. Anyway, welcome to the forum and happy to help.

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD
    Images
    Hi Ductape, and so you are!
    Id love to head up at some point...perhaps there will be an popportunity over the course of the summer.....and thank you for the welcome!
    I noticed the gallery photos, anyone have any claytor photos posted?
    Ameircas...still Happy with the claytor?
    Im planning on ordering next couple of weeks
    thnks again!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast